IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Those with a ECU tune , results please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16 | 08:49 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RRRacing
I hope everyone realizes what a big power killer altitude is. I've heard a general approximation is that the car looses 3% for every 1000ft. Not sure to to what extent the barometric pressure correction on the Dynojet corrects for that.

Once we have the datalogs from high altitude, we can see how big an airflow/load hit the car is taking due to the thinner air, and then try to see if there is more room to enhance the maps in the low load regions of the ECU tables where these cars are operating.

Sounds like fun!

Rafi
Rafi,

Isn't the dyno you guys use a Dynojet? Anybody want to chime in with Dynojet experience to weigh in on the correction factor of them?

My understanding is that it corrects for altitude and shows you what number you'd get if you were dynoing at sea level no??
Old 03-14-16 | 10:13 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Diesel350

I just saw on Facebook that someone got 30 WHP gains from tune alone. Only mod was HKS axle back. Maybe that person wants to chime in?

That's not too shabby! That's about where I am with just JoeZ exhaust and intake.
Old 03-14-16 | 10:57 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Rafi,

Isn't the dyno you guys use a Dynojet? Anybody want to chime in with Dynojet experience to weigh in on the correction factor of them?

My understanding is that it corrects for altitude and shows you what number you'd get if you were dynoing at sea level no??
We use a DynoJet 424X awd dyno. It applies a standard SAE correction which takes into account pressure (altitude) and tries to standardize the HP reading regardless of altitude. That said, I don't know to what extent SAE correction takes into account all the HP loss due to high altitude, after all, its only an approximation.

If you used uncorrected numbers, you would probably see a 60hp loss of power comparing 1000ft elevation to 5000ft elevation.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 03-14-16 | 11:20 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RRRacing
We use a DynoJet 424X awd dyno. It applies a standard SAE correction which takes into account pressure (altitude) and tries to standardize the HP reading regardless of altitude. That said, I don't know to what extent SAE correction takes into account all the HP loss due to high altitude, after all, its only an approximation.

If you used uncorrected numbers, you would probably see a 60hp loss of power comparing 1000ft elevation to 5000ft elevation.

Rafi
SAE is valid for 90-105 kPa (900 - 1050 mBar).

As you can see their test pressures are in the 850 mBar range.
Attached Thumbnails Those with a ECU tune , results please-image.png  
Old 03-14-16 | 12:24 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

So can someone explain what that means if our dyno runs were in the 850 mBar range? And how that pertains to SAE correction?
Old 03-14-16 | 12:40 PM
Rohi123
Driver

Honestly I don't think the tune helps at all. Nobody has posted any legit results where they got at least 20hp increase
Old 03-14-16 | 12:51 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

******Announcement****** R/T Tuning is proud to announce that we can tune your late model Toyota/Lexus/Scion vehicles. We made a post a few weeks ago hinting that we were working on this platform and we are now proud to show the results. We bring you this as the result of several months of research, dozens of hours on the dyno actually figuring out what did what in the software, and then lastly testing the vehicles in real world conditions for several weeks confirming the ECU was not reverting back to stock values we did not want it to. Once we have confirmed everything we set out to test, it was time to move forward!! Finally cracking the Toyota/Lexus ECU is going to open the door to tuning a lot of cars that have been historically modified a decent amount, but never been able to get full power potential. Pricing for this tuning service will depend on the platform, as the tables and parameters needing adjusting vary from ECU to ECU. Please feel free to contact us for pricing about your specific Year/Make/Model. The dyno chart below was a 2010 Lexus ISF with muffler deletes and an intake hard pipe(stock MAF Housing) and all 4 stock Cats. Contact us to get your Toyota/Lexus/Scion tuned to its full potential!!!

I saw this the other day. I really want to see customer results...
Old 03-14-16 | 12:54 PM
kings222
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rohi123
Honestly I don't think the tune helps at all. Nobody has posted any legit results where they got at least 20hp increase
lol kinda agree...everyone has been gung-ho about this but how does everyone get before dyno's and no after?
Old 03-14-16 | 12:56 PM
Rohi123
Driver

Even the tuning companies that are out there haven't posted a single video of the shop cars that they say, they worked on to get this tune and made certain horsepower, the way I see it is it just a bunch of empty promises, with no hard evidence of power increase
Old 03-14-16 | 01:04 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

I'll get my popcorn ready...
Old 03-14-16 | 02:12 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Let me get things started so the popcorn eaters can enjoy

I think a few people need to dial the F back. A-lot of folks on the forum are using their time and hard earned money to get dynos, buy the tune and re-dyno. In some states (not Cali apparently) getting access to a dyno is not that simple. On the other end, some people just buy the tune and say they can feel the results, that's fine and it's their money , so if it makes them enjoy the car more, it's all good. Let's not just jump to conclusions that the tune is not gaining anything. As the F community we are a little more mature than that ( I hope). It's OK to have reservations and doubt but give things like this some time, it will take a good amount of data samples both dyno and 1/4 mile numbers to see what the gains may be (it's a NA motor, things are more sensitive to conditions like IAT and fuel). Also both RR and TTFS are being supportive and transparent about what they are doing to support this tune. RR has posted their cars dyno numbers and TTFS has even purchased a shop car. If you choose to not to believe in the authenticity of RR's numbers that's fine but don't act like they haven't been posting their findings. Do I think they should start testing tunes with more variables, yes, but I also know this will take time.

If you are nit picky about this new tune or any new mod, you have two choices, wait some time to get a good data pool of results to ensure your investment or you can stop being a couch tuner and become a early adapter and spend some of your own time and money to push development along. Either way is fine, but let's not just sit back expecting everyone to do the leg work for us and then get impatient that results aren't populating fast enough and assuming so the tune must be ***** because of this.
Old 03-14-16 | 02:15 PM
Rohi123
Driver

I'm guessing you bought the tune lol
Old 03-14-16 | 02:20 PM
Rohi123
Driver

All I'm saying they should back up what they are saying and post some results, the companies
Old 03-14-16 | 02:32 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

After I did headers, I remember driving home feeling very dissapointed after all the money I spent. It felt as if nothing had changed but a lot more noise and smell. After some time the car woke up from its sleep. I'm sure it's the same with this tune. I must say I'm not overly excited about the feel of the car but I'm sure it will come in time.
Old 03-14-16 | 02:45 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

I'm guessing you bought the tune lol
I'm guessing you didn't Yes I did but mostly to be a part of the process and help with data logging. This is not the same issue as the ECU being locked and I understand the effects of the parameters that are being adjusted and how they should both yield more power and increase the area under the curve. All mods are a risk, in-fact, in this thread two of the guys are saying their Borla didn't yield any power gains, yet no-one is crapping on aftermarket exhausts and removing the secondaries.

All I'm saying they should back up what they are saying and post some results, the companies
I agree, but what results are you looking for? I assume the results that RR originally put up was not good enough for you? If you didn't read/or missed that post from RR you might want to go back. If you want a larger data pool of results that is understandable and like I said the companies should do this in-time , if they want to build trust. Still, don't ignore the fact that the tune results WHERE posted by both vendors.

Originally Posted by Compthis
After I did headers, I remember driving home feeling very dissapointed after all the money I spent. It felt as if nothing had changed but a lot more noise and smell. After some time the car woke up from its sleep. I'm sure it's the same with this tune. I must say I'm not overly excited about the feel of the car but I'm sure it will come in time.
Yeah, the F is very finicky to mods, I remember the thread a while back about a guy who thought his Joe-z was a scam and he did a dyno and it showed no power gain. Later IIRC, he found out he had IAT issue from his "cold air" intake and the computer was adjusting timing to account for it.

Quick Reply: Those with a ECU tune , results please