IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF PPE Header VS m3 JB4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16 | 09:41 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by Weapon F
I think they were both good runs, I still feel M4 would have won second race even if you had no Passenger and had not short shifted. It would have been closer race on the second run but M4 I think would still get the win. Still very good run considering the m4 has more horsepower and torque. See if you can run again next time no Passenger, Eliminate as much weight as possible that's a no spare tire and just quarter tank of gas or less. And run again would luv to see that outcome. The moral of the story is don't sleep on an ISF not anymore
I was referring to my video Dave, sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-23-16 | 10:04 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Is an M4 a typo? I thought the races included a M3?
Old 02-24-16 | 07:53 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k20trick
I have the high flow cats, but havent installed them yet. Ran into a little issue with the o2 pnp plugs getting mixed up so PPE is sending me another one. I want to run with the o2 conditioners to ensure they are working properly along with my sensors before removing them. They have a tendency to go back when removing/installing them so I'll know everythings working properly for like a week of DD'ing since the rear o2s werent touched at all then I'll go ahead and get the cats and new o2 bungs welded on and fiddle with the sensors.

Hope I'm making some kind of sense here for you to understand

I honestly thought the rasp was going to be bad, but it sounds so amazing I want to keep it catless however the smell though thats a different story. Yes it smells! even after you park the car and let it cool down you smell the aroma of catless exhaust system if your chilling around the car.

Thanks for the info and sorry to be off topic a little. Im not to worried about the smell outside of the car as much as it is in. Do you get a smell inside the car???
Old 02-24-16 | 07:51 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
Thanks for the info and sorry to be off topic a little. Im not to worried about the smell outside of the car as much as it is in. Do you get a smell inside the car???
I don't have headers but my primary cats are gutted. I can tell you if your windows are down, you will get the smell. If windows are up and ac is set to recirculate, the smell is not present.
Old 02-24-16 | 09:27 PM
k20trick
Instructor

You wont get any smell inside the car granted the windows are closed, but even if you open a little you will notice the smell. I understand you dont care about the outside, but it will smell outside. When you shut the car off and get out of your car you will notice the smell.
Old 02-25-16 | 07:30 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Cool. Thanks guys. Going no cats after reading this. I will deal with the smell.
Old 02-25-16 | 07:32 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Quick question.

Anyone think about wrapping headers to keep temps down????
Old 02-25-16 | 09:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^That's certainly an available option. I know of no one on this forum that has done it however.

Lou
Old 02-25-16 | 10:34 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Quick question. Anyone think about wrapping headers to keep temps down????
Typically it is bad with mild steel because the wrapping can get moisture and rust the headers out so normally they're suggested to be ceramic coated. However I picked up the new Verison stainless steel and the rust problem isn't a problem anymore so I will be heat wrapping them (rrr recommended this as well)
Old 02-25-16 | 11:27 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Keep in mind the cats are welded onto the midpipe so catless or catted doesn't matter with the header if at a later time you wish to add the cats they can get welded onto the midpipe. So it keeps your doors open should you desired the need for them in the future.

I've wrapped headers professionaly before why not just have to coated black and set it and forget it as it'll reduce any headaches in the future should they ever get worn and start to unwrap themselves its just more problems down the road.
Old 02-25-16 | 01:02 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

10-4. I looked up some pros and cons to wrapping and it looks bad to do.

I am just going to wrap the starter like they said to reduce the heat from the headers.

Always appreciate the help guys.
Old 02-25-16 | 07:25 PM
k20trick
Instructor

The stock heatshields work fine.
Old 02-26-16 | 07:02 AM
Max16
Pole Position

As for wrapping headers, just remember some of the nuts/bolts are very hard to reach when installing. If you add the thickness of a wrapping (overlapping correctly) you will have some hard time installing some of the nuts.
Old 02-26-16 | 07:52 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

when they installed your headers, did they drop your subframe entirely or just enough to fit in the headers?
Old 02-26-16 | 07:59 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
when they installed your headers, did they drop your subframe entirely or just enough to fit in the headers?
if you're talking to me, I did the job myself. I needed to drop the entire subframe. No way I could install them with just lowering it. I have sikky's but they are probably the same size as PPE

Quick Reply: ISF PPE Header VS m3 JB4