IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Might buy this ISF

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 07:52 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFC89
The price is perfectly placed where it should be for the mileage at a Lexus dealer. I'm sure you could get them down to 31k. I'd personally avoid any ISF regardless of the year with over 70k. This car was purpose built for the track not longevity. Very expensive to repair when things go wrong.
LOL are you serious? Toyota/Lexus is well known for their reliability.

I'd honestly go with a 70k mile car that was highway driven and taken care of than a 35k mile car that was abused stoplight to stoplight.

If the person took care of it, 70k should be nothing for these cars.
Old 02-22-16, 08:00 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ebbsnflows
Good luck to the OP...FWIW, I drove the car 8-10 days ago. It's relatively clean, so I was ready to do a deal on it and offered them $31500 for it (it was priced at $34,400 at the time). I had funds ready to go. They refused to go lower than $32.8k, spouting the usual sales hype stuff (limited, hard to find, etc), so I walked. Now I see that they've lowered the price on it, so perhaps you'll have better luck getting them down to a realistic number.
If your going drive it everyday like I do my ISF it will put a smile on your face promise. I have a collectors car it's a beautiful 55 bel air that I bought for a weekend car that I wax more than I drive. That car was not a gamble on an investment it was a guarantee classic. What I'm putting out there is unless your an electronic engineer these new cars electronics will be rough in 35years.
Old 02-22-16, 08:03 PM
RCFC89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k20trick
LOL are you serious? Toyota/Lexus is well known for their reliability.

I'd honestly go with a 70k mile car that was highway driven and taken care of than a 35k mile car that was abused stoplight to stoplight.

If the person took care of it, 70k should be nothing for these cars.
How many of those Toyota\Lexus have 400+ hp? How many have a race inspired 8 speed automatic? How many have Brembo brakes. This isn't a LS430 with over 70k. It's a purpose built track car. Not to say that the car won't last. But you're a fool if you think it will be as reliable as let's say a Camry or holds its value when it gets higher mileage. It won't. I personally wouldn't touch a F with over 70k. But I'd easily buy a LS430 or Camry with 70k. If you don't see the difference then that's your problem. Good luck
Old 02-22-16, 08:13 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Honestly even with the mileage $32,800 is full retail on the car and $28,500 is avg trade. Based on the carfax the car was traded pretty recently. Looks like the car was traded recently, so they may not want to budge on price much.

Unless you're happy with paying $32k, I wait till the car sits for a month then make another offer. Since someone here already offered $31.5 looks like they dont want to haggle on it yet.
Old 02-22-16, 08:18 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

How many of those Toyota\Lexus have 400+ hp? How many have a race inspired 8 speed automatic? How many have Brembo brakes. This isn't a LS430 with over 70k. It's a purpose built track car. Not to say that the car won't last. But you're a fool if you think it will be as reliable as let's say a Camry or holds its value when it gets higher mileage. It won't. I personally wouldn't touch a F with over 70k. But I'd easily buy a LS430 or Camry with 70k. If you don't see the difference then that's your problem. Good luck
You should do some research on this brand.

And it's good to know that I am daily driving a track car around town, but for that!

At that price for a first gen car, I'd rather buy a 2011+ with all the upgrades.
Old 02-22-16, 08:25 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Fairly low miles. From all the car ads I looked up, the price is about the same for 2008's.

Here's one in Austin, TX with similar miles....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS-Bas...m=161983195681

Don't buy the first car you find either, shop around. If the idea of owning an ISF for the same money of the IS350 suits you, pursue the ISF.

Now, if you want the 2011's with the upgrades, you are looking at 40K and up, 2013's still in the 50K range, but that's another story.

Good Luck with the purchase.
Old 02-22-16, 08:30 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Id also personally go with a 2011+. Pay an extra few grand (even if financing) to get all the better features.

But good luck to you! Im still looking for the right one.
Old 02-22-16, 08:36 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by knshro13
Id also personally go with a 2011+. Pay an extra few grand (even if financing) to get all the better features.

But good luck to you! Im still looking for the right one.
eBay has a few 2012's and a 2013. Mostly white and silver.
Old 02-22-16, 08:38 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Don't be Mad. You took a risk I'm not willing to take. I purchased my car with resale value in mind. 2009 with only 30k. Not being my daily it will likely still have well under 50k years from now when I sell it. With over 90k the resale value of your car is already in the tank and decreasing fast.
LOL. What makes you think I'm mad? Another stupid comment of "you mad."

I agree with your statement on resale value. Everybody buys a car for the most part think about resale value. However, with your car being a 7 year old car and counting and is either out of warranty or going out of warranty, it's still worth slightly more than mine.

Cars are meant to be driven. I have a $15k AE86 that I use to drive daily but now only drive on nice days because I'm ****ing old and rather have comfort driving to work.

LOL you mad...

Last edited by kitsune; 02-22-16 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 08:46 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

lol
Old 02-22-16, 09:33 PM
RCFC89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitsune
LOL. What makes you think I'm mad? Another stupid comment of "you mad."

I agree with your statement on resale value. Everybody buys a car for the most part think about resale value. However, with your car being a 7 year old car and counting and is either out of warranty or going out of warranty, it's still worth slightly more than mine.

Cars are meant to be driven. I have a $15k AE86 that I use to drive daily but now only drive on nice days because I'm ****ing old and rather have comfort driving to work.

LOL you mad...
If by slightly more you mean 12 grand then yes.

http://www.kbb.com/lexus/is-f/2008/s...rlaytimeout=10

http://www.kbb.com/lexus/is-f/2009/s...rlaytimeout=10
Old 02-23-16, 05:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

RCFC89, kitsune please take the back and forth to PM.
Old 02-23-16, 05:42 AM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The price is perfectly placed where it should be for the mileage at a Lexus dealer. I'm sure you could get them down to 31k. I'd personally avoid any ISF regardless of the year with over 70k. This car was purpose built for the track not longevity. Very expensive to repair when things go wrong.
The F was NOT purposely built for the track. It was tested and developed on a track. Purpose built track cars would not have heavy seats, A/c, heated seats and a bunch of other Luxury features. OP, if the car was well taken care of mileage is not the biggest concern. Some members here have higher miles and they are great running cars. It's hard to find a car that offers a better combo of reliability and performance. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-23-16, 06:50 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing that comes to mind here is Supra I know I know it wasn't coming on the lot with 400hp+ But it did come with 320hp, was the fastest stopping production vehicle from 1993-2007 until a Porsche finally took that crown, also had a race inspired Getrag 6 speed manual transmission, race inspired cockpit, and many other race inspired features.

If you compare what we as F owners are spending on just basic upgrades and take the same amount of $ and apply it to the Supra. Intake, Exhaust, and intercooler kit. The Supra easily puts 450hp down to the rear wheels. Very good friend of mine bought a 1996 TT back in 02 with 30k on it for a premium $ and the car now has 240-250k still with the same modifications. Other than regular maintenance he's had to replace the twins on it once.

Not debating value here just longevity of a properly taken care of "track/race inspired" car. Although he does get the random offers between 20-25k for his car with that mileage. Other than mileage the damn thing looks mint. Like it should have under 100k on it. Looked on point compared to my under 100k mileage Supra.
Old 02-23-16, 01:11 PM
DreaMzZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just went to dealership. They won't come off the price any.. After tax tag fees etc.. It's right over 34k. I think I still might get though, I love the low mileage and options on it.

Quick Reply: Might buy this ISF