IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Did you buy 2013 used ISF from dealer in Monterey?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 07:05 AM
otl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
If the car still run great and no issue. Then what's the problem?
1. The dealer flat out lied

2. It was used at a racing school. That voids factory warranty for a reason. That same reason affects resale value.

3. Most people wouldn't buy a car used at a racing school period. The ones that would say maybe at a significant discount.

4. The law requires dealers to disclose certain history on used cars. Taxi use, police use and driving school use.

Plopping down 50g at a Lexus dealer and getting flat out lied to is a problem for me. Maybe not you but to each his own.
Old 02-29-16, 10:38 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry guys but I'm with the op on this one.

Seems to me that he is just trying to help out a couple of F owners that may be unaware of their F's previous lives??

If I was told the car had been used by a Racing school when I bought it for X dollars, fair enough. If not, and the dealership failed to share that with me, I'd be pissed!

No way you charge someone the same money for a privately owned car as you do an ex-Racing school car.

That's like the ex-journalists test cars or for us in the UK, the ex-Police IS-F that was for sale recently in fact.

If the buyer knows the full facts at the time they agree to make the purchase, fair enough. If the dealer lies when asked a direct question about the cars history, that's not right.

Hope the other two buyers come forward soon.
Old 02-29-16, 11:15 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

agreed with above, another reason why I always run my own auto check cars on all cars I purchase regardless if it is being supplied with one.
Old 02-29-16, 02:49 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but how did you find out that the car was from a driving school, a year later? Were you doing post purchase research after a few problems started occuring? Curious as I also bought my car used and wouldn't mind finding out more about the background if I can. Share your resources if you don't mind
Old 02-29-16, 03:05 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd be pretty pissed too...The skip barber racing school has about 10-20 ISF's and getting new ones either after every year or other year. They had a display infront of the Pebble Beach Food and Wine Grand Tasting tent and they were trying to get me to sign up while showing me the new ISF they had on hand. I then pointed to the grass area where my ISF was parked and said, I already have one.

I always wondered what they did with the F's after a year or two of beating on it.
Old 02-29-16, 03:28 PM
otl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Maybe I missed it, but how did you find out that the car was from a driving school, a year later? Were you doing post purchase research after a few problems started occuring? Curious as I also bought my car used and wouldn't mind finding out more about the background if I can. Share your resources if you don't mind
I found my cars info on the phone app, My Lexus. Put in my name and number. Hit the service badge and wholla complete service info. Most everything the dealer provided me except the dealers info was missing any mention of racing school and non warrantable codes.
Old 02-29-16, 03:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

DAMN That sucks. I cant really complain since I do track days allll the time in my F, but still not driving school abuse. You are lucky the F is built like a tank
Old 02-29-16, 03:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

For reference they even use the ISF and the Nurburgring as a "ring taxi "
Old 02-29-16, 03:59 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by otl
I found my cars info on the phone app, My Lexus. Put in my name and number. Hit the service badge and wholla complete service info. Most everything the dealer provided me except the dealers info was missing any mention of racing school and non warrantable codes.
That sucks. It certainly appears you were mislead. It's no different than selling a prior rental fleet car as if it was a privately owned vehicle. Caveat emptor only goes so far, especially when it's regarding documented information that should be disclosed to the buyer. One can expect that a private seller might stretch the truth on how well a car was cared for.. However, for a dealer to blatantly conceal a vehicle's true (and documented) past is complete BS.

-Mike
Old 02-29-16, 06:15 PM
otl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
DAMN That sucks. I cant really complain since I do track days allll the time in my F, but still not driving school abuse. You are lucky the F is built like a tank
Lucky too I have plenty of free time on my hands, and even more evidence of bad behavior.
Old 02-29-16, 06:27 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow... Did you have any written correspondence from the dealer that stated the car was never owned or used by a racing school? Also, has the factory warranty been voided since it was used for a race school? If the dealership had sold the car as still having the factory warranty and it did not, that would be a big no-no.
Old 02-29-16, 06:38 PM
otl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikersoft
That sucks. It certainly appears you were mislead. It's no different than selling a prior rental fleet car as if it was a privately owned vehicle. Caveat emptor only goes so far, especially when it's regarding documented information that should be disclosed to the buyer. One can expect that a private seller might stretch the truth on how well a car was cared for.. However, for a dealer to blatantly conceal a vehicle's true (and documented) past is complete BS.

-Mike
Thanks. I feel the same way. Not my area of expertise but I'm of the opinion that a dealer, especially a Lexus dealer, is obligated to disclose certain history of vehicles they sell. I have uncovered quite a few tidbits that paint a pretty bad picture for a certain dealership. Yes 'Buyer Beware' only goes so far and is useless when outright fraud is in play. Just don't know though. I've grown quite fond of the car with all the time I've spent correcting and polishing the finish.
Old 02-29-16, 06:50 PM
otl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS_250
Wow... Did you have any written correspondence from the dealer that stated the car was never owned or used by a racing school? Also, has the factory warranty been voided since it was used for a race school? If the dealership had sold the car as still having the factory warranty and it did not, that would be a big no-no.
Other than the Car Fax they provided, no. I asked them in person and they confidently responded 'no'. They had to know as they are the ones who delivered it to the racing school. I believe that is something they were obligated to disclose. Guess I should have looked at the navigation history. Something I very recently did. You'd think they would wipe that thing.
They CPO'd it and claimed it is still under factory too, but some recent things indicate it is not. I've been in contact with them. Might get very interesting.
Old 02-29-16, 06:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by otl
Lucky too I have plenty of free time on my hands, and even more evidence of bad behavior.
buddy, you have every right to go ballistic. I dont blame you. I would feel the same way. I wish you all the best in resolving this. I'd hire a lawyer to draft a letter.
Old 03-02-16, 10:17 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by otl
1. The dealer flat out lied

2. It was used at a racing school. That voids factory warranty for a reason. That same reason affects resale value.

3. Most people wouldn't buy a car used at a racing school period. The ones that would say maybe at a significant discount.

4. The law requires dealers to disclose certain history on used cars. Taxi use, police use and driving school use.

Plopping down 50g at a Lexus dealer and getting flat out lied to is a problem for me. Maybe not you but to each his own.
+1, in full agreement here.

They either need to fix their mistake, or face legal action. Give them a nice review on Angie's List and Yelp.

You can also tell them, you belong to a car forum with an ARMY of ISF's, and that they may choose not to set foot in that dealership and will spread the word around.

I have a gut feeling someone at that dealership is about to get fired.

Quick Reply: Did you buy 2013 used ISF from dealer in Monterey?