OEM Michelin tires discontinued!!/warranty replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 12:39 PM
ScottNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Michelin tires discontinued!!/warranty replace

Hi everyone,

Thought everyone should know this, since it will hit everyone with the Michelin OEM tires at some point.

One of the front OEM Michelin Pilot Sports on my 2013 IS-F went flat. That happens, I get it, but Lexus told me they had no stock and Michelin no longer manufactures them. (I don't know why Lexus didn't stock up if they knew Michelin was discontinuing the OEM tire.)

Like most of you, I don't want mismatched tires on my car for safety reasons. What I don't need is more traction on only one corner of this beautifully balanced car! I called Tire Rack and others to see if they had the discontinued model, but no luck. Lexus suggested I replace both fronts with the new Pilot "Super" Sports, rather than just the flat one, so I did.

But then the car had different fronts and rears, which is spooky if you drive quickly. Plus it looks cheap and drops the value of the car.

I needed to get new rears, but the thought of paying for four new model Pilot "Super" Sports due to one flat discontinued not "Super" Sport tire seemed crazy.

So, I called Michelin directly and they agreed to give me a warranty replacement, basically at cost, for the rear "obsolete" OEM tires. This is a big savings over buying at retail. It's good to know Michelin stands by their customers. To get this service I had to go to them directly, and they are shipping to a tire dealer near my house. They wouldn't do it with the Lexus dealer for some reason.

It's really nuts for Michelin to discontinue a 2013 tire on a super high performance car. Who wants to replace four $350 tires just because one goes? But at least now you know that if you complain to Michelin, they will help you out through this dopey mess.

Best to all.
Old 03-11-16, 01:13 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pilot Super Sports are a better tire than the PS2...not really sure what your complaint is. The PS2 is an old tire that came on many cars in the mid-late 2000s. As you noticed, it's the OEM tire for this car...of which there were 5 preceding model years before yours.
Old 03-11-16, 01:21 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Pilot Super Sports are a better tire than the PS2...not really sure what your complaint is. The PS2 is an old tire that came on many cars in the mid-late 2000s. As you noticed, it's the OEM tire for this car...of which there were 5 preceding model years before yours.
I agree. I would be happy getting super sports over your old ps2....
Old 03-11-16, 03:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

PSS arent discontinued just on nation wide backorder
Old 03-11-16, 03:57 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
PSS arent discontinued just on nation wide backorder
Op wasn't referring to Pilot Super Sports. Geez, nation wide back order? Still!? When I was eager to try a set of the pilot super sports last year, they were back ordered.
Old 03-11-16, 04:37 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The super sports are excellent i would recommend just upgrading to them, although the price you listed @ 350 each is very high unless you're running massive tires, i got the typical 245/35-275/30 most run on here for