IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

VP Racing OCTANIUM

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 02:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Read the gasoline FAQ (scroll down to 6.18) about blending hydrocarbons and octane and you'll quickly see it is not possible to put a quart of anything in 16 gallons of gasoline and raise the octane from 91 to 101. Read Section 9 for a full discussion of additives.

Any serious student of internal combustion should read and be familiar with the entire work. It is invaluable for understanding what goes on and an excellent primer with many additional study sections identified with their authors so you can better understand the how and why of engine technology.
Old 03-31-16, 03:32 PM
giblet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity is 91 ron the standard issue fuel over there?

Our standard here is 95 but I only use Shell V Power Nitro which is 99. No point running cheap fuel in a performance car.
Old 03-31-16, 03:42 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by giblet

Our standard here is 95 but I only use Shell V Power Nitro which is 99. No point running cheap fuel in a performance car.
No. Most of the states get 93. California is just a ****ty state, so we get 91. And in truth, its a real ****ty 91. I wouldn't be surprised if it was really 89 or 90.
Old 03-31-16, 04:25 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Piston1047
This is not the case at all. 100+ octane/racegas prevents knock/compression detonation. Knock can happen in NA motors when they have high compression ratios for more power and a higher octane gas is required. There are plenty of NA race cars running 100+ octane fuel. Race gas can also help in situations where heat soak is causing high cylinder temps by preventing knock.
On an aftermarket tune, maybe. On a factory rich tune, highly doubtful. A properly running factory tuned NA won't be knocking enough to pull timing. However, let's say you're right. It's knocking enough to pull timing. So adding higher octane fuel will bring the car back to normal specs, acting like a band-aid. It absolutely won't be adding power because the advanced timing isn't there. therefore, a waste.
Old 03-31-16, 04:33 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

So here's my question. I have an e85 pump 5 mins from my house. With there now being an obd flasher I can pull over, if needed, and reflash between maps.

So, when's an e85 tune coming?
Old 03-31-16, 05:06 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol, with a name like OCTANIUM, that **** better raise my octane over 120+!!
Old 03-31-16, 05:07 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
So here's my question. I have an e85 pump 5 mins from my house. With there now being an obd flasher I can pull over, if needed, and reflash between maps.

So, when's an e85 tune coming?
+12345

It seems that some vendors want to offer a flex fuel sensor with an E85 tune but from what hear is not possible to integrate the sensor right now. I ran E85 in my WRX for 5 years without a flex fuel sensor and never had any issues I just used a test tube and water to check the ethanol level from time to time.

Can anyone confirm was IDC on 93oct? Even if we can run an E30 tune it would very beneficial.
Old 03-31-16, 05:45 PM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
No. Most of the states get 93. California is just a ****ty state, so we get 91. And in truth, its a real ****ty 91. I wouldn't be surprised if it was really 89 or 90.
Nevada is also the same. Luckily there are a few Rebel brand gas stations that carry 100 at the pump.
Old 03-31-16, 05:57 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
On an aftermarket tune, maybe. On a factory rich tune, highly doubtful. A properly running factory tuned NA won't be knocking enough to pull timing. However, let's say you're right. It's knocking enough to pull timing. So adding higher octane fuel will bring the car back to normal specs, acting like a band-aid. It absolutely won't be adding power because the advanced timing isn't there. therefore, a waste.
Yes, on a factory car it is completely useless unless you have extreme heatsoke, which I guess could be considered a bandaid and your right even though I wasn't arguing that point. But I was specifically talking about NA race cars or engines built to a high compression ratio. It is completely necessary in this application. I was just pointing out that FI cars are not the only ones to benefit form "race gas". Any car that is built in a way it has detonation with 91/93 octane gas needs "race gas" NA or FI.

BUT, in a situation where you are entrance racing a stock spec motor you could experience detonation due to higher temps, race gas, in this rare case could reduce this and thus provide a safety margin and , yes, could allow the car to maintain power. Once again it's maybe a bandaid, but when endurance racing, you just want to keep the motor running , so it's not a waste vs. a blown motor.
Old 03-31-16, 08:00 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Posted by Giblet:

"Out of curiosity is 91 ron the standard issue fuel over there?"

The pumps in north America indicate a number based on ron (Research octane number) plus mon (Motor octane number) divided by 2.

And all non-race fuels in my part of the country are E10 (10 percent ethanol) due primarily to influenced politicians from corn growing states.
Old 03-31-16, 08:52 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

So all in all, instead of buying that one can of booster, use that money to buy 3 gals of 101 at the pump and mix it with the 91 . I saw that it costed nearly $30!!!! 101 I believe is around $10 per gal.
Old 04-02-16, 09:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Or buy a Techstream cable and look at your learned knock value to determine if any of this is necessary, then you can make an intelligent decision based on data, not based on "it feels good."
Old 04-02-16, 09:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by giblet

No. North American fuels are (RON+MON)/2. Your 95 RON is very similar to our 88, but without knowing the motor number of your fuel it could be higher or much lower. Serious tuners could not care less about RON because the testing is done under light load. MON testing is performed under heavy load, so any serious tuner will only care about a fuel's MON rating for a performance application (read heavily loaded).

I have seen the spread between RON and MON as high as 15 points - it all depends on the hydrocarbon mix used for the fuel. European refiners refer to this as "sensitivity" meaning the higher the sensitivity, the greater the spread between RON and MON.
Old 04-02-16, 11:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. North American fuels are (RON+MON)/2. Your 95 RON is very similar to our 88, but without knowing the motor number of your fuel it could be higher or much lower. Serious tuners could not care less about RON because the testing is done under light load. MON testing is performed under heavy load, so any serious tuner will only care about a fuel's MON rating for a performance application (read heavily loaded).

I have seen the spread between RON and MON as high as 15 points - it all depends on the hydrocarbon mix used for the fuel. European refiners refer to this as "sensitivity" meaning the higher the sensitivity, the greater the spread between RON and MON.

Dr F !! I read that post and felt like a 12 yr old sitting in an medical grand rounds lecture. Im one of the members in the , its 10 bucks extra for the tank ( yet $84 on amazon) and my car idles better category . I absolutely admire and respect the technical knowledge. Love this, love the forum, and CL. Since they were so cheap I bought 4 bottles. Used 2 at chuckwalla and AMP. Going to add one today and one at Wild Horse Pass main on 4/16. Regardless whether its effective or not I do enjoy telling my 4 yr old son that its the special race additive that makes daddy's car extra fast and we add it together. Absolutely worth $10 for that alone. He gets so excited
Old 04-02-16, 12:03 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Guess that's a good way to put it, however with you having a history in cali, you should know that our 91 at the pump is pretty much garbage and that it would be untrue to say our cars wont benefit from a 93 octane at the pump.

Other than the high tax rates and crap fuel, cant complain though we have the best weather here and that's something I can pay the price for .