IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

VP Racing OCTANIUM

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 10:33 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Arrow VP Racing OCTANIUM

Well today, I decided to go to my local autozone to get some fuel addictives. On the shelf as I was looking, I came upon a product I have never seen before.

VP MADDITIVE OCTANIUM octane concentrate

I know magic does not happen in a bottle but I was curious so I got me a bottle and their fuel cleaner as well. As soon as I left the store, I put it all in. I had a little over half tank gas so I figure it wouldn't hurt. I also put in their fuel cleaner product as well. I drove about 5 mins to get the fuel to mix. I decided to get some breakfast so I stop by a Starbucks. As soon as I get in my car and start it................ (Hoping for some kind of feeling that it works). It feels normal as always so I proceeded to drive to a more designated spot where I do my "speed" test run. It could be just the placebo effect but as soon as I gun it, it pulls....it pulls HARD. It really feels like the last time I pumped a full tank of 100 octane gas but it could also be the fuel cleaner. I did a quick research and I still can't find much info on this but from my butt dyno, it seems to work but I want to hear what you guys have to say or feel? Can this bottle really give up to 8 FULL octane numbers?
Attached Thumbnails VP Racing OCTANIUM-20160330_084851.jpg   VP Racing OCTANIUM-20160330_100726.jpg   VP Racing OCTANIUM-20160330_100732.jpg   VP Racing OCTANIUM-20160330_100750.jpg   VP Racing OCTANIUM-20160330_100806.jpg  

Old 03-30-16, 10:39 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

It might be very minimal but I think most of it is placebo.
Old 03-30-16, 03:16 PM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's either placebo or your tune is still being optimized and you're seeing slight improvements or reduction in timing being pulled from cleaning all that oil bypass
Old 03-30-16, 06:55 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Good find but honestly wouldnt it be more effective filling up up on 91 **** gas and a few gals of 101 pump gas to obtain the octane boost?

There are stations in oc, cheesboro, pasadena etc..
Old 03-30-16, 07:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have been using NOS Racing Formula octane booster and I wouldnt say the car is faster as much as it just idles so smooth feels nicer around town
Old 03-30-16, 07:06 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

To each his own, however if it was my money though I'd pour a few gals of 101 octane unleaded at pump into a mix of 91
Old 03-30-16, 08:00 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

I used this before since I used to get it from work for cheap, might be a placebo effect but I feel like it worked. BMWs always used to come into the shop with an empty tank before a dyno run and fill up on these. It made significant power but I understand those are tuned engines.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-31-16, 04:15 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

A cousin of mine has an RS6 (I know it's not comparable) but he had someone come tune his car on the road and he recommends putting a bottle of octane booster in your normal fuel to give you better output.

To me I see it this way, cleaner fuel = better effeciency = better output.

Placebo yes maybe unless you can compare two identical cars with idcentical drivers and datalog everything.

I put in injector cleaner every 2,500km because out fuel is crap here, I personally believe it helps.

On top of that I fill up my car from only 1 fuel station in the city as this tuner has proven it has cleaner fuel than the others, this I feel does make a big difference as I notice the car does pull much harder and keeps pulling.

Maybe its placebo effect but I do feel the car is running healthier.
Old 03-31-16, 07:33 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to put lucas injector cleaner in my car alot. I was told it was a waste but I always like to go the extra step in keeping a good running car.

I know that those octane boosters are not good if you use them all the time as it can burn up your rings.

Also I have a ???? Can you guys not get 93 octane premium??? Im in NC and have always used this. Not saying +2 octane is much more of a difference but just asking.
Old 03-31-16, 07:44 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

octane booster and 100 octane doesn't do anything really unless you have FI
Old 03-31-16, 08:34 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kings222
Yes it does.... It reduces the weight of the car.... Your wallet becomes so much lighter that it improves the horsepower to weight ratio! Lol
Old 03-31-16, 08:51 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kings222
This is not the case at all. 100+ octane/racegas prevents knock/compression detonation. Knock can happen in NA motors when they have high compression ratios for more power and a higher octane gas is required. There are plenty of NA race cars running 100+ octane fuel. Race gas can also help in situations where heat soak is causing high cylinder temps by preventing knock.
Old 03-31-16, 11:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
This is not the case at all. 100+ octane/racegas prevents knock/compression detonation. Knock can happen in NA motors when they have high compression ratios for more power and a higher octane gas is required. There are plenty of NA race cars running 100+ octane fuel. Race gas can also help in situations where heat soak is causing high cylinder temps by preventing knock.

This is why I use the octane booster for all track days. Race gas is not that easy to find.
Old 03-31-16, 01:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

No booster in a bottle that small will give you 8 points. Maybe 0.8, but definitely not 8 points. VP would put their own racing fuel business in jeopardy if it really worked.

Yet another thread about hoping something will work when it has been proven too many times it does not. Just look up the MSDS on it and you'll see the majority of it is kerosene which has a surprisingly low blending octane (that's the C2 to C20 aromatic hydrocarbons on page 3). They have something else in there, MMT, which I have found likes to leave deposits on your plugs in the long run. Oh, yeah, maybe I forgot - I've tried all this stuff...none of it works, and VP says not for use in cars with catalytic converters - it will clog them prematurely.

You'd be way ahead just to pay for 100 octane unleaded. In a 16 gallon tank, you need 4 gallons of 100 octane with 12 gallons of 91 to get a 93 octane mix. It worked marvelously in my Supra in California and got me back to 18 mpg around town from 12 mpg around town with the evil **** they call 91 octane in Cali. It also ended up being cheaper because the fuel economy was so much better - and this is on a bone stock engine from Toyota, not some APU monster.

And BTW, if you have a problem with heat soak, you need to remove the coolant and replace it with pure distilled water and a higher pressure cap or get a bigger radiator (not thicker, but more square inches). Nothing moves heat as well as water, and if you're on the track and your cooling system takes a dump on you, everyone else will be damned happy you're running straight water. You can't race a motorcycle with coolant in it because it makes a huge slippery mess for everyone else.
Attached Files

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-31-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 01:41 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No booster in a bottle that small will give you 8 points. Maybe 0.8, but definitely not 8 points. VP would put their own racing fuel business in jeopardy if it really worked. Yet another thread about hoping something will work when it has been proven too many times it does not. Just look up the MSDS on it and you'll see the majority of it is kerosene which has a surprisingly low blending octane. They have something else in there, usually MMT, which I have found likes to leave deposits on your plugs in the long run. Oh, yeah, maybe I forgot - I've tried all this stuff...none of it works. You'd be way ahead just to pay for 100 octane unleaded. In a 16 gallon tank, you need 4 gallons of 100 octane with 12 gallons of 91 to get a 93 octane mix. It worked marvelously in my Supra in California and got me back to 18 mpg around town from 12 mpg around town with the evil **** they call 91 octane in Cali. And BTW, if you have a problem with heat soak, you need to remove the coolant and replace it with pure distilled water and a higher pressure cap or get a bigger radiator (not thicker, but more square inches). Nothing moves heat as well as water, and if you're on the track and your cooling system takes a dump on you, everyone else will be damned happy you're running straight water. You can't race a motorcycle with coolant in it because it makes a huge slippery mess for everyone else that is very difficult to clean.
That bottle says 80 points, not 8 points. Which would actually be 8 octane. Supposedly torco and klotz is up to 10 points because these are all concentrates not the normal booster from Walmart. Plus u gotta put all 32oz to 10 gal to get to around 100 octane. Its suppose to have the same effect as race gas but it ain't cheap, might cost u almost the same if u get good deal on race gas.

Quick Reply: VP Racing OCTANIUM