IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 01:28 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Who has the best price now on the PPE V2? Did you guys get bare metal or coated?
Old 09-25-17, 10:26 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

While the Magnaflow replacement might be enticing at first glance, do your homework on the quality of their cats. I had a Magnaflow replacement cat on my M3 several years back, and it failed within 2 years. I remember reading numerous reports all over the internet with similar outcomes.
Old 09-25-17, 11:28 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

^^^^I've had MagnaFlow Hi-Flow cats in my ISF for 6½ years now. No issues

Lou
The following users liked this post:
Magnaflow (10-23-17)
Old 09-25-17, 12:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
While the Magnaflow replacement might be enticing at first glance, do your homework on the quality of their cats. I had a Magnaflow replacement cat on my M3 several years back, and it failed within 2 years. I remember reading numerous reports all over the internet with similar outcomes.
Your tune has a lot to do with a cat's service life. The more rich the tune, the shorter the service life. There are a lot of reasons why the OEMS use fat tuning, but mostly because running rich won't cause warranty failures like running tight or running lean. And while it would be handy to be able to say their stuff has a high failure rate because it's posted on the 'Net, that's anecdotal evidence at best. Only Magnaflow know for sure what their failure rate it. Coming from BMW, I am sure you've seen the horror stories of bearing failures in BMWs, but I suspect if you queried 100 actual owners, you'd find the number of failures to be a whole lot smaller than the scary posts might make you believe. We have the same thing here with the valley plate leak (there's a thread on it), and it surely is an ugly failure, but no one here can say for sure if it's 1 in 10, 1 in 100, or 1 in 1000. We just know folks who have had the problem and once it's posted somewhere, Google lets others who have had a failure know there is a thread about it, so it becomes a lightning rod for complaints.

I make no claims for Magnaflow's quality, just concerned that making a blanket statement based on anecdotal evidence isn't fair to the manufacturer at all.
The following users liked this post:
Magnaflow (10-23-17)
Old 09-25-17, 01:01 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

It is interesting that magnaflow already has a product that they've gone through the trouble of having carb tested. It doesn't looks like it's been produced for any significant gains over the stock manifold. If that's the case then the question is magnaflow obviously see's a market for these, so maybe this failure isn't as rare as we thought?
Old 09-25-17, 01:50 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

When talking to Figs the other day he said that the flange is supposed to float? Not sure.
Old 09-25-17, 02:14 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,401 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kjer
Who has the best price now on the PPE V2? Did you guys get bare metal or coated?
We have great deals on PPE, and generally have the shortest lead times. We DO NOT recommend the "ceramic" coating because we do not think that the Cerakote is effective (its a paint on coating). Therefore we have as an ad on option titanium wrap for headers.

And don't forget, we have great tune/header combo deals. PM us if you are interested.

thanks,

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 09-25-17, 05:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
When talking to Figs the other day he said that the flange is supposed to float? Not sure.
It's OK to have a floating flange, but it's not OK to have an exhaust leak. If these exhausts were not leaking, Lexus would not be replacing them under warranty, they'd be telling is it is working as designed and call it a day.
Old 09-27-17, 08:28 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, unfortunately, no one has the direct-swap Magnaflow in stock as "it's a built to order" and Magnaflow doesn't have the ETA. Good thing I can wait as the car has been running really smooth, aside from the ticking noises during morning startup. This is the end of PSA. :-)

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Magnaflow 553881- California certified and runs $740 from Internet retailers. Bolt on replacement. EO#: D-193-130 .
Old 10-17-17, 06:48 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

well add me to the list ... my passenger side is making noise so it's likely cracked. 54K miles and still under the CA Emissions Warranty luckily so the car is going in today to get this done along with the airbag recall.
Old 10-17-17, 09:08 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
well add me to the list ... my passenger side is making noise so it's likely cracked. 54K miles and still under the CA Emissions Warranty luckily so the car is going in today to get this done along with the airbag recall.

welcome to the club!
Old 10-18-17, 02:50 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

the service adviser called and said they can't hear any ticking ... he swears both himself and the shop foreman listened to the car from a cold start and there are no noises. this is unbelievable since it does it every time i start the engine after it's been sitting for more than an hour. Hopefully they actually listen to it tomorrow morning and call me to let me know they verified the issue.
Old 10-18-17, 05:42 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Just put headers on and let the engine breathe like it's suppose to
Old 10-18-17, 08:49 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine weren’t cracked so no idea what that noise I heard was. Oh well, headers make this car 10x better so I regret nothing!
Old 10-19-17, 06:08 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Just put headers on and let the engine breathe like it's suppose to
not my cup of tea. I don't feel like dealing with the issues that come with aftermarket headers.

Wish the dealership staff would listen better to their customers feedback and not try to rush through stuff. They apparently let the car run for over an hour while they performed the airbag recall and then tried to listen for the noise at idle ... even though i specifically asked them to listen for it on a cold start.

We'll go through the exercise again today, with a cold start while i am listening on the phone since i'm not in town to do it in person. that should do it.

Quick Reply: Crack in Exhaust Manifold...