IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 01:01 AM
Gsxr6k6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF350
What is the approx. cost to repair the manifold with welding or cost to replace a new one ?
At Lexus here in El Monte CA it was around $3800
which my warranty covered. Toyota platinum extended warranty. No issues.
Old 05-04-18, 06:47 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You can add me to the list as well. Why hadn't I dug further into this when the symptoms started?! Sadly, my ticking began late last summer @ ~72k miles when I arguably would have been covered under the EPA's 80k/8yr emissions warranty. Some here had dismissed it as valve ticking prior to oil pressure developing. It's slowly gotten louder and is obviously not valves, and now now she's at 81k, just outside the limit.

We'll see what my local SM has to say... Otherwise, I've been interested in headers anyway, as I'm hopefully going w/RRR's SC in the next year or so. Still, given the safety implications, I'm also surprised there has not been a recall or at least TSB on this. Yes, as Lance mentioned, many here are discovering theirs outside of the standard Lexus warranty period, but statically there have to be many "non-obvious" failures starting well within the 80k mark.

I do know an exceptional class action attorney and may reach out to him on behalf of the community. He'd, nearly single-handedly, won the landmark $663M whistle-blower fraud suit against Trinity Industries a few years ago. Anyone know if CL might be able to help with a user questionnaire?
Old 05-04-18, 11:40 AM
kianISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus of Cerritos quoted me close to $8K!
Old 05-04-18, 05:16 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Hey! Where'd you get that first aid kit? I didn't get a first aid kit??

Ironic that it's in the same shot as the manifolds - I wonder if there's a slip in there that reads "to prevent choking, contact Sikky / PPE."
My 1st aid kit
came with a Gas mask...
Old 05-04-18, 10:23 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

You can get Sikky V2 headers on eBay for $79 a month with 0% APR for 24 months on PayPal credit until May 10th.
That is what I did a while back and never look back
The following users liked this post:
UCrazyKid (05-07-18)
Old 05-07-18, 03:46 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rossi
You can get Sikky V2 headers on eBay for $79 a month with 0% APR for 24 months on PayPal credit until May 10th.
That is what I did a while back and never look back
Couldn’t find any headers at all on EBay for our app... looked out of curiousity. If EL version were available at that price, I’d prolly bite for zero interest!
Old 05-07-18, 04:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

^^^^

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sikky-1-7-8...sAAOSw3fZaLMMe

Lou
Old 05-08-18, 09:19 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

I was using the hyphenated spelling of IS-F. Shame on me. Ha. Thx Lou!
Old 06-30-18, 01:38 PM
kianISF
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if this has been asked but should I have any issues if I continue to drive my ISF with the cracked exhaust manifold?
Old 06-30-18, 02:02 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

No issues will result in driving the car with the cracked manifolds.......the car might pull timing based on the knock sensors mistaking the noise from the manifolds as knock but that's about it. Get headers and be done with the issue and let the car breathe the way it's suppose to!
Old 06-30-18, 02:17 PM
kianISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
No issues will result in driving the car with the cracked manifolds.......the car might pull timing based on the knock sensors mistaking the noise from the manifolds as knock but that's about it. Get headers and be done with the issue and let the car breathe the way it's suppose to!
New headers well be purchased... after I have the funds

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-30-18, 03:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
No issues will result in driving the car with the cracked manifolds......
An exhaust manifold leak can cause burned exhaust valves, improper fuel trim as the leak introduces extra oxygen that is picked up by the oxygen sensor, and slow warm-up time which also causes high fuel consumption, which will also cause your catalytic converter to fail prematurely, and the exhaust fumes can easily enter the vehicle cabin through the heating system and cause the passengers to get carbon monoxide poisoning, etc,etc. Have the leak fixed pronto!
Pulled from Google Search!

Lou
Old 07-01-18, 09:17 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^^Lol well there you go and more of a reason to get headers..........but that being said, that's an extreme case you pulled from Google and not what we've seen from this issue with the ISF. The majority of cracked manifolds (broken flanges) including mine that have happened are the welds on the flange breaking off and not necessarily the example you provided above, though could happen, but hasn't really been documented here on CL that I know of.

When I pulled my stock manifolds off both my flanges had busted off and there we no signs of a leak per se just the sad example of the stock manifolds that this motor was suppose to breathe through and rectified with PPE headers
Old 07-01-18, 01:36 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I was in your position last last year, slight knocking noise, gasket from OEM headers the culprit etc. Xmas time is the worst time to try to save any $$$........however..............

I know there are faster cars out there but i love my ISF as its a great sounding V8, somewhat more unique than the german competition and decent power. So when you get around to installing headers, the sound becomes so much better (didnt think that was possible but yes, the sound completely changes). Im not even close to getting bored of the sound. As for power, well it has definitely helped in that department as well (even more so if you get it tuned after).

So it ticks the boxes on all fronts, its just a pricey mod to carry out. I wasnt looking forward to handing over all that $$$ for them but everyday driving it, justifies my purchase with a smile on my face. You'll love it.
Old 07-01-18, 03:08 PM
Gsxr6k6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headers

IMO if you live in a lenient smog state it's worth getting headers since from what I understand it's a reoccurring problem with stock headers gaskets breaking. Cali on the other hand is a hassle and money switching them our for smog checks every 2 years. I just bought a warranty and got them fixed and now I'm covered for any other mishaps down the line. The car is already fast and getting headers isn't going to make it that much faster. It's the driver that will make your car faster with some good tires lol.

Quick Reply: Crack in Exhaust Manifold...