IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 03:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsxr6k6
The car is already fast and getting headers isn't going to make it that much faster.
The first part of you sentence is True, the second part is NOT True.

Lou
Old 07-01-18, 03:14 PM
Gsxr6k6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flowrider
The first part of you sentence is True, the second part is NOT True.

Lou
look at ISFASTER on you tube. Only exhaust
Old 07-01-18, 04:25 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^^^^Lol well there you go and more of a reason to get headers..........but that being said, that's an extreme case you pulled from Google and not what we've seen from this issue with the ISF. The majority of cracked manifolds (broken flanges) including mine that have happened are the welds on the flange breaking off and not necessarily the example you provided above, though could happen, but hasn't really been documented here on CL that I know of.
i agree that is a definite extreme scenario. If that was the case with our cars we’d be seeing threads like.....”so, I passed out on the freeway”. Nevertheless, if it’s identified it’s a problem that could lead to that extreme case if left neglected for a very long time. I get weird with my wife always asking her “do you smell something different?”....she always responds with “why, did you fart?”. I would always tell her “never in the car” lol

he’ll be ISFASTERer if he had headers though...
Old 07-01-18, 04:53 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

If I remember correctly he only runs the 1/8th mile.........the headers show their gains more so with top end, and yea with headers he would be ISFASTERer lol as the post above said^^^^^
Old 07-01-18, 05:15 PM
Gsxr6k6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
If I remember correctly he only runs the 1/8th mile.........the headers show their gains more so with top end, and yea with headers he would be ISFASTERer lol as the post above said^^^^^
All I was trying to say is the price and the hassle doest justify the gains at least for me in Cali. Our cars are capable of 0-60 stock at 4.4 - 4.6 with the right driver and tires. Daily drivers usually don't go 130mph but it does improve top end flow. I enjoy the short burst since there is mad traffic here and is sucide trying to race on our freeways.
Old 07-02-18, 08:57 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

All I was trying to say is the price and the hassle doest justify the gains at least for me in Cali. Our cars are capable of 0-60 stock at 4.4 - 4.6 with the right driver and tires. Daily drivers usually don't go 130mph but it does improve top end flow. I enjoy the short burst since there is mad traffic here and is sucide trying to race on our freeways.
I think it's a good option in lieu of OEM replacement when the headers start cracking.
Old 07-02-18, 01:48 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
I think it's a good option in lieu of OEM replacement when the headers start cracking.
100% agreed. Some will want to do the upgrade regardless for power/sound etc.

Others like myself will take the upgrade option when there is an additional reason to do so such as problems with the OEM headers/gasket etc.

Given the expense/labour required to do the swap, only price can justify fixing the OEM setup or replacing with another set of OEM. I didnt want further issues down the track mucking around with my OEM header setup so chose the PPE route (more $$ upfront but less headache in the long run).

Ps Whilst getting this done, have a look at your engine mounts as its the best time to replace if required given your subframe is dropped
Old 07-02-18, 05:06 PM
67mattbo
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked manifold

so I drop my 2011 with 73k at the dealer today for the possible cracked manifold. $156 diagnose fee, refundable if they warranty through the California 8 year 80k emissions. While doing walk around , they asked about any mods. Yes, figs engine mounts and lower control arm bushings.... Sir, that might pose a problem as your car has been modified... Nice
Fingers crossed they don’t get stupid
Update.... South Bay Lexus performed the inspection and have agreed to replace both sides , did not bring up the aftermarket parts. Said the repairs will be warrantied under the California emission 8 year 80k warranty. They did mention I had a qualifying VIN... Good news for me

Last edited by 67mattbo; 07-03-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 05:09 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 67mattbo
so I drop my 2011 with 73k at the dealer today for the possible cracked manifold. $156 diagnose fee, refundable if they warranty through the California 8 year 80k emissions. While doing walk around , they asked about any mods. Yes, figs engine mounts and lower control arm bushings.... Sir, that might pose a problem as your car has been modified... Nice
I hate how dealers try to push that crap when the mods in question have nothing to do with the problem at hand. What next, they knock you back for a warranty claim because you have an aftermarket stereo fitted lol. Hope they dont make you jump through 50 hoops for a good outcome.
Old 07-02-18, 05:15 PM
Gsxr6k6
Driver School Candidate

That's BS. I had full exhaust and they mentioned nothing when they replaced my manifolds. Ask them to explain how those Mods caused an exhaust leak? This is a common problem for all ISF's not because you added a control arm or mount. I wouldn't of told them anything let them figure it out. Good luck.
Old 07-02-18, 05:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

They're flat out CROOKS. I just had a bunch of recalls done on my 2008 ISF with full bolt ons and some suspension mods. The service writer was interested in all of them and impressed with what I had done. You may want to name your dealer so the rest of us can stay away from them. You may want to tell the dealer you're spreading the word on his BS. $156. diagnostic fee - Remember what Miss Daisy said

Call Corporate and report them!

Lou
Old 07-02-18, 10:44 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Another one for the books, '09 IS-F with 167k miles. So, why isn't this a TSB?
Old 07-02-18, 11:05 PM
Gsxr6k6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
They're flat out CROOKS. I just had a bunch of recalls done on my 2008 ISF with full bolt ons and some suspension mods. The service writer was interested in all of them and impressed with what I had done. You may want to name your dealer so the rest of us can stay away from them. You may want to tell the dealer you're spreading the word on his BS. $156. diagnostic fee - Remember what Miss Daisy said

Call Corporate and report them!

Lou
Hey Lou, Did you have your inside front door panels replaced? If so, was it under warranty?
Old 07-03-18, 09:08 AM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

anyone have a shop that they recommend in Missouri to tackle the job of changing out the manifolds for PPE headers?
Old 07-03-18, 11:12 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Hey Lou, Did you have your inside front door panels replaced? If so, was it under warranty?
Never had a problem with them. Why do you ask?

Lou

Quick Reply: Crack in Exhaust Manifold...