IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 12:13 AM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Was this an issue on all ISFs? Im assuming, installing headers will delete the primary CATs? Im buying an ISF in 2 months and want to make sure to check for this.
Old 01-05-20, 01:16 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
Was this an issue on all ISFs? Im assuming, installing headers will delete the primary CATs? Im buying an ISF in 2 months and want to make sure to check for this.
Yes, and yes
Old 01-13-20, 09:04 AM
ISFwanted
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious is Lexus doing anything to fix the issue or we just need to buy new headers.

I have the tick on cold start. Last for about 20-30 seconds then stops. I'm assuming this is my issue based on what I have read. I watched the Sikky install video. Looks like a major install.
Old 01-13-20, 08:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFwanted
Just curious is Lexus doing anything to fix the issue or we just need to buy new headers.

I have the tick on cold start. Last for about 20-30 seconds then stops. I'm assuming this is my issue based on what I have read. I watched the Sikky install video. Looks like a major install.
Is the tick regular or irregular? A regular tick means exhaust. An irregular tick is something else.
Old 01-13-20, 09:01 PM
smaggs
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

You dont need to buy new headers, you can have it welded. Mine were cracked and realized it while I was getting the starter replaced. Since they had to remove the one side of the headers anyway, we just had it welded while it was out for a few hundred on top of what I was paying for the starter re&re.

.....but it is a good excuse for a pair of aftermarket headers 😏
Old 01-14-20, 05:12 AM
ISFwanted
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Is the tick regular or irregular? A regular tick means exhaust. An irregular tick is something else.

I assume you means every tick sounds the same. Then yes is a regular tick and last about 20-30 seconds on a cold start. I can also hear it slightly when i rev it after it warms up a little. Was there every a TSB to replaced cracked headers on the ISF?

I also read some where that the oil could have something to do with a tick. Different weights/different brands, but it seams like its the exhaust in my case.
Old 01-14-20, 11:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Regular as in it's like a metronome and varies with rpm. An irregular tick sounds random and is associated with one of the cam chain tensioners at start up only.
Old 01-14-20, 02:01 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

More of a clacking sound than a mild tick sound.. On a cold start, open your hood, stand near the passenger side and have someone start the car. Clacking sound lasts a couple of seconds till the rpm settles down. Don’t worry if you still can’t hear it, it’ll get louder eventually. Common problem on all is-f.
Old 01-14-20, 08:02 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

A friend told me they use to pull the factory manifolds off and bolt them up to a 2x4, then weld the flanges to the tubes like regular headers are. Never had any issues. The vibrations, engine movement, exhaust expanding contracting finds the weakest point and it is all on the tube itself which is what causes the issue. Welding them up like real headers are, makes the flange take the load, instead of the tube.
Old 01-18-20, 10:46 AM
ISFwanted
Driver

Regular as in it's like a metronome and varies with rpm. An irregular tick sounds random and is associated with one of the cam chain tensioners at start up only.
Cold start. Tick is there. I press the throttle a little and it goes away. Let off it comes back. Which scenario does this sound like?
Old 01-19-20, 01:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Cold start. Tick is there. I press the throttle a little and it goes away. Let off it comes back. Which scenario does this sound like?
Open the oil fill cap. If it is louder, scenario 2.
Old 01-21-20, 04:38 AM
ISFwanted
Driver

Open the oil fill cap. If it is louder, scenario 2.
It didn't change at all with the oil fill cap off. Appears to be coming from the passenger side. So I guess I'll be on the hunt for headers.

Thank you for your help on this.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 10:25 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

It didn't change at all with the oil fill cap off. Appears to be coming from the passenger side. So I guess I'll be on the hunt for headers.

Thank you for your help on this.
I have stock ones with like 10k miles for sale if you are interested.
Old 01-21-20, 11:05 PM
roheel
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has started ticking too. 09 with 26k
Old 01-29-20, 10:34 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the current best price for headers? Sikky V2 or PPE?

Quick Reply: Crack in Exhaust Manifold...