IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 01:12 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
What's the current best price for headers? Sikky V2 or PPE?
Different retailers have different options for the PPE headers. Some offer then in either mild steel or stainless and also to either have then ceramic coated or provided heat wrap. I've seen prices range from about $1,400 - $$2,300 USD depending how you want them built.
Old 01-29-20, 01:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
What's the current best price for headers? Sikky V2 or PPE?
PPE offers two types of headers for the ISF. An Equal Length (EL) Header and a UnEqual Length (UL) Header:

According to their web site ceramic collating is a $300. option. Their headers are stainless steel.

Mild steel would be a special order that I wouldn't recommend.

Edit - There is a Group Buy here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...s-exhaust.html

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 01-29-20 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 07:22 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Prices I've seen over the past 2 years have ranged from $1550-2k for PPE UEL, depending on sales. SIKKY has offered deals if you'd local that are like $2200 installed or something similar. PPE seems to be more popular and seems to have less issues with install or longevity, but perhaps Sikky has improved.
Old 01-30-20, 06:59 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Contact us for group buy pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
James7 (02-01-20)
Old 02-01-20, 03:19 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

So is there any other way to check a crack in the exhaust manifold? I went to two dealers and they don’t seem to find any signs yet I get the ticking at start up like a few member have on here. One of the dealers said they went and checked with a borescope under the car but don’t know if they did it right. They said I need to pay an extra $300 for a smoke test. How have other dealers found your exhaust manifold crack? Maybe paranoia is getting to me and I don’t have it. I did have my 2 front tires replaced today and I asked them to put in on a lift. The heat shields are wrapped so tight I doubt I can even finagle a borescope through.

id love to just buy PPE headers and just get it over with but I have an 08 and I need to smog every two years. Won’t pass visual if they just decide to check.
Old 02-01-20, 11:06 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

When mine was cracked, I could easily see the flange and crack with black soot around it, with the car up on a lift
Old 02-02-20, 12:48 AM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
When mine was cracked, I could easily see the flange and crack with black soot around it, with the car up on a lift
how did you do that with the heat shields around. I tried to take a photo but the heat shields wrapped around where the flange and runner was. Even with my light from my phone shining through I couldn’t see that clearly inside.
Old 02-02-20, 09:53 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cvt
how did you do that with the heat shields around. I tried to take a photo but the heat shields wrapped around where the flange and runner was. Even with my light from my phone shining through I couldn’t see that clearly inside.
I just shined a bright flashlight from down the area where the cat and the O2 sensor are. From that angle, there were no shields blocking view
Old 02-02-20, 11:24 AM
cvt
Racer

I just shined a bright flashlight from down the area where the cat and the O2 sensor are. From that angle, there were no shields blocking view
like this? I couldn't get a clear angle on it. I didn’t see any soot but have the sound.

Old 02-02-20, 08:00 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Yea like that. Or maybe look a little higher than that. In this photo I dont see the flange

I dont have any shields in the way, and the soot made it somewhat obvious
Old 02-02-20, 08:14 PM
cvt
Racer

Yea like that. Or maybe look a little higher than that. In this photo I dont see the flange

I dont have any shields in the way, and the soot made it somewhat obvious
yeah I was literally under the car on a lift and couldn’t get any angle to see diddly squat. I may just need a borescope.
Old 02-12-20, 08:04 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
yeah I was literally under the car on a lift and couldn’t get any angle to see diddly squat. I may just need a borescope.
you dont need a boroscope man. you can see the soot on the header in the picture. Typical case of incompetence from your dealer. The heatshields are bolted on. I doubt they even put the car up on a lift or they would have just unbolted the 2 or 3 bolts that hold the passenger side heatshield and would've spotted the soot instantly. take it back and tell them to raise the car and pull the right side heatshield under the exhaust manifold for a proper inspection. go to a different dealer if you have to. make sure you don't let your emissions warranty lapse because this is no cheap repair.
Old 06-01-20, 01:21 PM
jwgorrie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello folks,

I have experienced said ticking in cold start and the dealer mentioned it’s the hydraulic lifters awaiting oil pressure, I’ve heard that these engines have solid or fixed lifters, so dubious on that explanation.

I managed to get a borescope and snapped this picture, it does look like the flange nearest the firewall (cylinder 8) on the right hand side has black soot round it, can anyone confirm that’s what I’m seeing? And could I use that to show the dealers what I’m seeing?

Many Thanks,
John
Old 06-01-20, 03:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

^^^^Sure looks like it to me

Lou
Old 06-02-20, 01:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,977 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by jwgorrie
Hello folks,

I have experienced said ticking in cold start and the dealer mentioned it’s the hydraulic lifters awaiting oil pressure, I’ve heard that these engines have solid or fixed lifters, so dubious on that explanation.

I managed to get a borescope and snapped this picture, it does look like the flange nearest the firewall (cylinder 8) on the right hand side has black soot round it, can anyone confirm that’s what I’m seeing? And could I use that to show the dealers what I’m seeing?...

Many Thanks,
John
That explanation is shyte. These engines have solid "lifters" and depend on nothing but simple mechanical clearance for valve lash.
jwgorrie (06-02-20)

Quick Reply: Crack in Exhaust Manifold...