IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 12:34 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Anyone know the part number for the flange nuts that bolt the exhaust manifolds (headers) to the head studs? There are 8x each side, 2x per exhaust port.
I might as well replace these.
Old 08-09-20, 02:31 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ChpEng
Anyone know the part number for the flange nuts that bolt the exhaust manifolds (headers) to the head studs? There are 8x each side, 2x per exhaust port.
I might as well replace these.
Usually not needed but should be inexpensive...

I still wouldn't replace with NEW manifolds... A decent welded repair should do the job just fine for another 5 - 10 years..

Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
ChpEng (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 10:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

FWIW, I never replace nuts or studs unless they're damaged or torqued to angle, and even then I didn't replace the bolts on the ring gear in my diff when I put in the Giken spool. Head bolts are the only ones I will replace on principle because I can't actually measure stretch on them. Rod bolts I can, so I only replace rod bolts on a street engine when they don't stretch properly or show signs of wear/permanent deformation (it's not a bad idea to have a virgin bolt for reference length). If your hardware isn't corroded, the flats are not rounded, and the threads are undamaged, there's zero reason to replace it. Axle bolts are also in the "better have some spares on hand" because they're typically staked in place and they're never pretty when you remove them.
ChpEng (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 02:04 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Usually not needed but should be inexpensive...

I still wouldn't replace with NEW manifolds... A decent welded repair should do the job just fine for another 5 - 10 years..

Joe Z
Thanks for part #. Looks like 94151-80841 has been replaced by 90178-A0048, same as used on the Trans Mount.

Took the car to my long-time mechanic Friday for a 2nd opinion. His advice was the same. He will inspect the header cracks upon removal and we will only replace them if he determines his TIG weld repair would be unreliable. Bottom line = my bit has been solidly flipped from "0" to "1" (I agree with you). Thanks for persistent advice. :-)
Joe Z (08-09-20)
Old 08-10-20, 08:33 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Saturday night was fun.

Also installed mounts, and RR racing intake with CF elbow. Waiting on tune.

No more engine weight shift at WOT and no moh clickety clack from exhaust leak.
The following 5 users liked this post by Wh0pp3r:
ChpEng (08-11-20), dugahole55 (08-11-20), flowrider (08-10-20), MileHIFcar (08-10-20), Positron (08-10-20)
Old 08-12-20, 11:16 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Tune is on the ecm, so far so good.

i laughed at Simons response "Hi Steve, What took so long?!" referring to the fact that its just over a year since i bought everything lol.

car feels amazing. still want to add catback. most likely will go with RR-Racing magnaflows due to quality reviews and pricing. that'll complete the FBO.

i also realized that my axle back isnt stock. prior owner had some PTS poorly welded on. which is fine since im replacing the system anyway.

the fumes are noticeable at idle, cant wait to add cats. and gonna replace the vents in the rear as well.

i also have to note that the sensors in the headers where stuck on, we cut the harnesses on the sensor due to this and lucky i was ready with new sensors.

and one final note.

i did ask my boss about allowing us to do header installs for these cars like i did mine.

we typically are just a maintenance shop, not a modifying shop. so if there are people out there that just want us to do these install with say the engine mounts and starter replacement he said we can for 1000.00.

he did state that we don't offer warranty on aftermarket parts and parts provided.

located in N.Hollywood

edit : price also does NOT include alignment. we will do our best to preserve the alignment, but it is recommended once the work is done.

Last edited by Wh0pp3r; 08-12-20 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 03:20 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh0pp3r
Tune is on the ecm, so far so good.

i laughed at Simons response "Hi Steve, What took so long?!" referring to the fact that its just over a year since i bought everything lol.

car feels amazing. still want to add catback. most likely will go with RR-Racing magnaflows due to quality reviews and pricing. that'll complete the FBO.

i also realized that my axle back isnt stock. prior owner had some PTS poorly welded on. which is fine since im replacing the system anyway.

the fumes are noticeable at idle, cant wait to add cats. and gonna replace the vents in the rear as well.

i also have to note that the sensors in the headers where stuck on, we cut the harnesses on the sensor due to this and lucky i was ready with new sensors.

and one final note.

i did ask my boss about allowing us to do header installs for these cars like i did mine.

we typically are just a maintenance shop, not a modifying shop. so if there are people out there that just want us to do these install with say the engine mounts and starter replacement he said we can for 1000.00.

he did state that we don't offer warranty on aftermarket parts and parts provided.

located in N.Hollywood
What shop is this? Same price for an RCF?
Old 08-12-20, 05:05 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cvt
What shop is this? Same price for an RCF?
Japanese Auto Tech

yes pricing would be the same.
Old 08-26-20, 08:36 PM
DreDilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Have an 08 IS F w/ 86K mi, recently noticed the ticking sound on cold starts, assuming it's the cracked exhaust manifold. I don't feel any impact on engine power right now, any idea how long will it take for the crack to get big enough to start affecting performance at WOT?
Old 08-26-20, 09:04 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Can someone confirm if this is the ticking sound they're hearing with the header leak?

Also not sure why it's playing sped up on normal play back speed? Maybe my internet is getting wonky.

Old 08-27-20, 02:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

The video really sounds like normal direct injector noises. It's synchronous, speeds up with rpm, gets quiet on decel,... Pretty much everything normal sounding.
Joe Z (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20, 04:40 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LSpho
Can someone confirm if this is the ticking sound they're hearing with the header leak?

Also not sure why it's playing sped up on normal play back speed? Maybe my internet is getting wonky.

https://youtu.be/nctZpLbZKp8
Heres how mine sounded
Old 08-27-20, 09:01 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey lobux, was a relief to hear and read upon others as well. You maybe very correct, seemingly normal. Just odd because my other v8 is a corvette ls1 didn't have the same snap clap tick.

Whopper, I might have small header crack? I can hear a little faint like that outside hood closed.
Old 08-28-20, 03:39 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LSpho
Whopper, I might have small header crack? I can hear a little faint like that outside hood closed.
could be yours has barely started failing?

most pictures if not all (i cant recall at this time) have been pass side rear banks cracked.
Old 08-28-20, 05:07 PM
ocramyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had PPE headers and exhuast (both brand new) installed by Tommy Musicbox. I've noticed this ticking sound when doing cold starts but goes away after. Is this the same sound you guys are talking about? Or is it normal? It would be weird since these are new headers and there can't be a crack

Last edited by ocramyer; 08-28-20 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Crack in Exhaust Manifold...