IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 12:50 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

>$3K for longtube headers, >$3K for dual-mode exhaust to match; total >$6K exhaust setup? Yeah...that's a little rich.
Old 06-08-16, 03:11 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
>$3K for longtube headers, >$3K for dual-mode exhaust to match; total >$6K exhaust setup? Yeah...that's a little rich.
You could always go the Novel route.
Old 06-08-16, 04:15 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Novel's not long tube. So you could pay twice as much for an inferior design.

Makes the PPE longtube seem like a bargain.
Old 06-08-16, 04:36 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Yea for my wallet I think I'm going the regular old Unequal Length header route

Even though they are considered shorties, I've seen some Unequal Length headers out there when I've been researching (Unequal Length)/ Equal Length/ Long Tube headers) and the UL for the ISF don't exactly seem too short compared to some shorties out there, they look like an in between shorties and equal length?
Old 06-08-16, 05:44 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
Makes the PPE longtube seem like a bargain.
Yeah that was my point.
Old 06-15-16, 03:06 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FIGS
The RCF headers are technically the "short tube" or "regular" I suppose EL headers, so they are technically available.
Mike
Originally Posted by HughB
Sound clip of the EL header on an ISF please!! :P
Agreed! Need some sound clips of this someone

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I've had both and I do! However, if your interested in sound, the EL headers greatly reduce the in cabin drone. Also the exterior sound at idle is changed. The UL header has a more rumblier rough idling sound. Almost like an old V8 with a cam. It's hard to describe and that sound comes through to the cabin when idling.

The EL header has a much smoother even sound and as I said with much less drone. I have PPEs dual mode exhaust, and with the UL header, when driving on the FW at the resonance RPM (1900 to 2100 RPM) I needed to close the exhaust when speaking on my cell phone (Using bluetooth). With the EL headers I can speak on the phone and not close the exhaust.

Edit - I guess you can call it a more refined sound

Lou
Lou,

So your saying again that you've had both the Unequal length shorties & the Equal length shorty headers that were originally designed for the RCF, but PPE found out that they do indeed fit the ISF just with a simple modification for a smaller flange 60mm? Or have you had all three UEL/EL & Long Tube headers from PPE?

^^^^I wouldn't call it a choke point, it's just that the outlet flange size from the exhaust manifold/header is different on the ISF vs the RCF. An RCF header won't mate up to a non modified exhaust, either stock or third party, unless that exhaust is made by PPE.

I will obtain the difference in size an post here.

EDIT:

Flange Exit size Information:

ISF - 60mm (2.4")

RCF - 65mm (2.6")

Lou
Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
We just sold a few of these sets that were just delivered last week. I will reach out to those customers to get videos and sound clips. I know the one guy has it paired with the Apexi exhaust and the other with the Meistershaft GTC.

Pretty quick turn around time as well on these headers.
Any updates with these customers? Are they on Club Lexus?

I'm getting close to purchasing headers and now I'm thinking of waiting for the dyno results for the EL RCF headers on an ISF before I make my purchase

I'm wondering if they are going to put down better numbers than the UEL headers and weigh that against the cost increase of $1200...........
Old 06-15-16, 03:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar

Lou,

So your saying again that you've had both the Unequal length shorties & the Equal length shorty headers that were originally designed for the RCF, but PPE found out that they do indeed fit the ISF just with a simple modification for a smaller flange 60mm? Or have you had all three UEL/EL & Long Tube headers from PPE?
I had the UL Headers and now have the EL LT Headers. The long tube version is nothing more than the shortie (RCF Header) without the collector, but with 12" Tubes shaped and welded to them and the header welded behind the LT tubes. See pict

Lou
Attached Thumbnails PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers-bares-headers.jpg  
Old 06-15-16, 06:17 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the UL Headers and now have the EL LT Headers. The long tube version is nothing more than the shortie (RCF Header) without the collector, but with 12" Tubes shaped and welded to them and the header welded behind the LT tubes. See pict

Lou
To be succinct: the primaries are elongated 12" before the merge collector.
Old 06-16-16, 12:46 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Lou
I see what your talking about Lou, how are they treating you? You going back to the dyno to run more numbers with them? Also are you planning on getting one of the tunes available to compliment the headers?
Old 06-16-16, 09:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,339 Posts

^^^^I'm happy with 'em The atmosphere in the cabin with my exhaust open is more hospitable than with the UL headers. And I feel (I think) a bit more spunk in the lower end and the top feels strong also.

As far as a tune, right now I'm on the fence, leaning toward no.

Lou
Old 04-20-17, 06:24 AM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Can we please get an update on these El headers from those who purchased these or from those who went from UL to El. I'm in the process of purchasing headers and was wondering if the 1200 premium is worth it since I only plan to do the header install once.

Sound clips?

Dyno graph?

What type of modifications was made to fit the headers to OEM or aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks
Old 04-20-17, 12:15 PM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

does the Equal Length shorties sound similar to the Equal Length Long Tube?? just wondering if anyone has a video of them.
been eyeing the headers for months on end on the figs page, but my innerself tells me dont do it huuuuuh.
Old 04-21-17, 10:00 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Manh3
Can we please get an update on these El headers from those who purchased these or from those who went from UL to El. I'm in the process of purchasing headers and was wondering if the 1200 premium is worth it since I only plan to do the header install once.

Sound clips?

Dyno graph?

What type of modifications was made to fit the headers to OEM or aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks
The standard EL headers require no exhaust modifications. the long tubes will require a midpipe fabrication but should not be a problem on most aftermarket exhausts. We have posted sound clips, no dyno graph yet but I will get that formatted. The primary reason we suggest this route to our customers is purely sound driven. The firing symmetry of the motor favors the EL header and that is why we are combining it into a single 3.5" exhaust vs a typical dual setup that will keep the sound notes isolated more each other. The EL also has much more scavenging velocity, so the midrange off throttle to on throttle is much cleaner and immediate. If you are going to do it just once, then you will not regret your decision.

it does not get much rawer than this, but working on the completed Ti cat back and hopefully can share that soon. Just been too wrapped up to complete the fab on it. This is single muffler, single cat, it's quite loud.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-21-17, 11:06 PM
bahaimus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds fantastic! I don't suppose there is a variant of the EL long tube headers that would suit a right hand drive car is there?
Old 04-22-17, 02:58 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Don't push your luck its hard enough getting the original ppe extractors over here and make sure your stitting down for the price.

Last edited by isfvss; 04-22-17 at 02:59 AM. Reason: forgot

Quick Reply: PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers