IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Have around $4k to spend, what mods to get???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 10:44 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with borla mid pipes and RR-Racing tips. No drone at freeway speeds (80mph) and plenty loud at WOT. Less than $2k for everything too. I love it! I have a small sound clip on my Instagram if you're interested.
Old 04-07-16, 10:44 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes. Only difference is the Dual mode allows you to quiet the exhaust if you should choose and open it up when you are feeling spirited.
1-855-998-8726
Old 04-07-16, 10:48 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess you aren't buying my Joe Z anymore lol!
Old 04-07-16, 10:49 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

For $4k, you definitely have plenty of options. If all that matters is sound, why not straight pipe? A good number have done it, and they're pleased with the audio fix they get with the straight pipes. It's rather cheap, and you can have leftover dough for other things.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd still do it in order of how I picked my mods.....exhaust and headers. Together, they'll be roughly under $3500, and labor will put you right at the upper end, maybe a few Benjamins over that budget.

I am with you on the PPE exhaust. I think I know which one I'd switch it up with, but there isn't a lot of feedback on the forums, and I'm a bit on the complacent side after all I put into this car already.

Best of luck and have fun modding!
Old 04-07-16, 10:52 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

I would do coils, headers and then a tune if budget allows.

I hate to say it, but 4k doesn't get far on this car. I've had my car for 2 months and the mod spending is already out of control. Pick your parts wisely and you won't regret it.
Old 04-07-16, 10:56 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The mufflers are the same with the exception of a valve over one of the exit tubes.
I have the PPE headers with race mufflers and high flow cats. Trust me, it's as loud as you'll want on the street. And the sound got lots of attention at the drag strip as well.

***Edit:***

If I was to do this again, I'd flip for PPE's equal length header & exhaust combo w/cats.

Last edited by tas02; 04-07-16 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-07-16, 11:06 AM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by GS-F
I went with borla mid pipes and RR-Racing tips. No drone at freeway speeds (80mph) and plenty loud at WOT. Less than $2k for everything too. I love it! I have a small sound clip on my Instagram if you're interested.
Whats your instagram username? I will have to check it out, it would be nice to have REAL exhaust tips

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
Yes. Only difference is the Dual mode allows you to quiet the exhaust if you should choose and open it up when you are feeling spirited.
Appreciate the help. Yea with the wife not usually wanting to ride in the ISF (she hates the suspension, prefers her SUV), I have no need to tone it down. Most of my drives are about 15-20 minutes long around town, so no needs to worry about drone or toning it down

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
Guess you aren't buying my Joe Z anymore lol!
Never know Chase. Still not 100% on any exhaust and I have always loved the Joe Z (just FYI, it was seeing how awesome your car looked when i sold the exhaust that kind of led me to not sell my F). lol

I do like the H&S exhaust, but hating this waiting for months before we may get it. lol patience is not my strong suit.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
For $4k, you definitely have plenty of options. If all that matters is sound, why not straight pipe? A good number have done it, and they're pleased with the audio fix they get with the straight pipes. It's rather cheap, and you can have leftover dough for other things.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd still do it in order of how I picked my mods.....exhaust and headers. Together, they'll be roughly under $3500, and labor will put you right at the upper end, maybe a few Benjamins over that budget.

I am with you on the PPE exhaust. I think I know which one I'd switch it up with, but there isn't a lot of feedback on the forums, and I'm a bit on the complacent side after all I put into this car already.

Best of luck and have fun modding!
I actually hadn't thought of going straight pipes. Figured it would be just pushing my luck with the POPO. exhaust and headers sounds good (will need HFC as I cant deal with the gas smell that most have reported) since I like to drive with the windows down.

The PPE exhaust looks good from the photos I have seen, but like you mentioned, just been hesitant since I haven't seen too many people running it.
Old 04-07-16, 11:13 AM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by msgs350
I would do coils, headers and then a tune if budget allows.

I hate to say it, but 4k doesn't get far on this car. I've had my car for 2 months and the mod spending is already out of control. Pick your parts wisely and you won't regret it.
I agree, 4k doesn't get far with the ISF. Exhaust / headers / intake and there goes 4k. lol The oem suspension doesn't bother me much since I dont track the car and most of my drives are about 15-20 minutes long. Oem suspension works great for just spirited driving around town.

Originally Posted by tas02
The mufflers are the same with the exception of a valve over one of the exit tubes.
I have the PPE headers with race mufflers and high flow cats. Trust me, it's as loud as you'll want on the street. And the sound got lots of attention at the drag strip as well.

***Edit:***

If I was to do this again, I'd flip for PPE's equal length header & exhaust combo w/cats.
Equal length headers? Is that the new headers they are working on possibly for the ISF (on their site, they just have one option for the headers)?
Old 04-07-16, 11:56 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hgill02
Whats your instagram username? I will have to check it out, it would be nice to have REAL exhaust tips
It's @isf.jimmy

It's a pretty recent video with the white bike as the thumbnail.
Old 04-07-16, 12:03 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by GS-F
It's @isf.jimmy

It's a pretty recent video with the white bike as the thumbnail.
It sounds MEAN. Will have to look into this setup more
Old 04-07-16, 01:34 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Take it you've heard my video?

Look up Hayward & Scott exhausts, these guys design bespoke exhausts for some seriously rare and expensive performance cars.

You also get those REAL tips you wanted.

Alternative would be to hold off till RR-Racing release their supercharger kit?

Although you said you weren't that fussed about more power.

I'm dropping my F off this Saturday with H&S. Hopefully won't take too long after that to get these shipped to Josh for you guys.

Quality is top notch.
Old 04-07-16, 02:00 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

NOVEL HEADERS.....PERIOD, sound sexy.....
Old 04-07-16, 02:12 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

HKS
Old 04-07-16, 02:20 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by PDP180180
2008 UK Lexus IS-F cold start and revs with Hayward &Scott Exhaust - YouTube

Take it you've heard my video?

Look up Hayward & Scott exhausts, these guys design bespoke exhausts for some seriously rare and expensive performance cars.

You also get those REAL tips you wanted.

Alternative would be to hold off till RR-Racing release their supercharger kit?

Although you said you weren't that fussed about more power.

I'm dropping my F off this Saturday with H&S. Hopefully won't take too long after that to get these shipped to Josh for you guys.

Quality is top notch.
Damn it Peter, you just had to post that video. lol

I do love the sound of that H&S exhaust. Also like the fact that you can get that V8 AMG noise from just the exhaust alone (I would expect the same noise from a header/exhaust) combo.

Another deciding factor is the exhaust tips (I know its just tips, but I hate the fake tips on the ISF currently). I actually thought your car had maybe the oem tips blackened out or something. Didn't realize they were actual exhaust tips till i went through your build thread. Your car looks and sounds awesome btw.

I am waiting on Josh to get us the price info. on Monday, so mostly likely decide on this Monday. This exhaust will also leave me about 2k to spend on something else.

Last edited by hgill02; 04-07-16 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 02:23 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by jum3
HKS
I actually have not heard a HKS exhaust. Just saw the $3k price tag. Is it worth the 3k price?? Any sound clip of it? I'll try to find some on youtube as well.

Originally Posted by chris07is
NOVEL HEADERS.....PERIOD, sound sexy.....
Aren't these super expensive and already above my budget. I've always loved Novel Headers, but figured they were always super duper expensive and would completely wipe the budget if not exceed it.

Quick Reply: Have around $4k to spend, what mods to get???