IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Caliper Part?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 01:33 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Part?

Had my calipers off to repaint them...but missing one spline-nut for one of the front calipers. This part sits inside the caliper to lock it in-place. Tried contacting Lexus, Brembo North America, even Race Technologies in Cali...with no luck on this part... Anybody know where I can get one of these for the front caliper without having to buy a new caliper?
Attached Thumbnails Brake Caliper Part?-img_8129.jpg  
Old 04-20-16, 05:21 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took mine off to have them repainted last year and (as far as I can remember) I did not encounter those nuts at all. The only pieces that needed to be removed were the two 14mm bolts in the back, the 2 pins, and the bridge bolt. Not sure where those "spline nuts" came from.
Old 04-20-16, 06:27 AM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Reaper21
I took mine off to have them repainted last year and (as far as I can remember) I did not encounter those nuts at all. The only pieces that needed to be removed were the two 14mm bolts in the back, the 2 pins, and the bridge bolt. Not sure where those "spline nuts" came from.
Thanks for the reply. They are what is circled in red. Once the caliper was off the car, they were loose, and could easily fall out.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Caliper Part?-spline.jpg  
Old 04-20-16, 07:31 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe the missing one is still attached to caliper?
Old 04-20-16, 09:43 AM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vervish
Maybe the missing one is still attached to caliper?
I wish that was the case
Old 04-20-16, 10:49 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 166 Posts

IMO they are pressed in bushings for the pins/bolts. I might be a factory assembly.
Old 04-20-16, 11:05 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
IMO they are pressed in bushings for the pins/bolts. I might be a factory assembly.
To illuminate some folks on the purpose of these...

The brake calipers are aluminum and bolts are steel; heat in the brake system causes galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals, essentially welding the bolts to the calipers. These inserts are kind of like steel Heli-coil/TIME-SERT threaded inserts that folks use when they bork up aluminum threads and prevent the whole situation where you destroy the mounting ear threads when you take off the caliper.
Old 04-20-16, 11:36 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They list it as a part that you can purchase on the Lexus of south Atlanta website.
Here is the link:

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...roduct=9928000

Old 04-20-16, 11:51 AM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Piston1047
They list it as a part that you can purchase on the Lexus of south Atlanta website.
Here is the link:

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...roduct=9928000

Appreciate the link, but what you see there are dust boots. Not the part
Old 04-20-16, 11:53 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaEvilG
Appreciate the link, but what you see there are dust boots. Not the part
How so, it matches the part number you listed and also matches the part name. Is it just listed incorrectly?
Old 04-20-16, 11:58 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

I see now. The part you highlighted in your post is actually the bolt and not the pressed in insert. I wonder if they even sell these separately since they probably just consider them a part of the caliper sub-assembly. Sounds like your in a unfortunate situation. Maybe a machine shop can fabricate you one. I could probably make one here but turn around time might be an issue. If I can get the dimensions I can do some quick CAD and have it machined in my buddies shop.
Old 04-20-16, 12:28 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Piston1047
I see now. The part you highlighted in your post is actually the bolt and not the pressed in insert. I wonder if they even sell these separately since they probably just consider them a part of the caliper sub-assembly. Sounds like your in a unfortunate situation. Maybe a machine shop can fabricate you one. I could probably make one here but turn around time might be an issue. If I can get the dimensions I can do some quick CAD and have it machined in my buddies shop.
I'm still waiting for Brembo Italy to contact me back, but I have a great fear I will be screwed still. I can definitely mail out one of the pieces I have. My car will be stuck up in the air until I get the part.
Old 04-20-16, 12:37 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

I'm still waiting for Brembo Italy to contact me back, but I have a great fear I will be screwed still. I can definitely mail out one of the pieces I have. My car will be stuck up in the air until I get the part.
Ok, well PM me if you need help and I will see if I can get in touch with my friend, I know he was out of the county on business but he should be back soon.
Old 04-22-16, 09:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Thanks for the reply. They are what is circled in red. Once the caliper was off the car, they were loose, and could easily fall out.
That's a problem in and of itself. They should not be loose at all. Did this happen with all the calipers or just one of them?

What you need is called a M12x1.25 flush mount captive nut insert. The biggest problem with it is the thread pitch. Only the Japanese do 12x1.25, so finding something in the US is going to be hard. If I were in a real pinch, I would chuck a lug nut in a lathe and cut it down to a light press fit on the hole since this is also the same thread diameter and pitch of most Toyota wheel lugs.

The bad news is, those look like they've been nitrided to protect from corrosion and fully harden them. Putting in a trimmed down lug nut would not be as good by any means, but it would get your car moving again.
Old 04-29-16, 11:25 AM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Thanks everybody for the input on this one. I was able to get one fabricated. I wish Brembo would've been as much help as this forum has been. If this happens to anyone in the future...atleast they'll have something to look back on. Thanks Again Everybody!!