IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 01:02 PM
SlowAsF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just had mine valley leak fixed, parts did not cost much but did have to replace 4 injector connectors. 2 Orings and the Toyota/lexus (gray fipg) instead of the black silicon which might leak again over time.
Old 05-04-17, 01:27 PM
prosem
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowAsF
just had mine valley leak fixed, parts did not cost much but did have to replace 4 injector connectors. 2 Orings and the Toyota/lexus (gray fipg) instead of the black silicon which might leak again over time.
I am checking with them to make sure they used a different sealant. Thanks
Old 05-04-17, 01:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

That's a good point. I would assume they would use an upgraded sealant
Old 05-04-17, 01:34 PM
prosem
Driver School Candidate

I just confirmed with them. Interesting they say that the gray fipg is what they use on non gasket seals. So this should have been used from the factory.

Matt
Old 05-04-17, 04:22 PM
SlowAsF
Driver School Candidate

not to assume anything but the gray fipg is much more expensive than the black one. most of the time they use the black for cost efficiency
just a thought
Old 05-04-17, 11:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Neither gray nor black is correct. It's really bad to assume you know more about sealants than ThreeBond. ThreeBond 1282B Toyota Part No.: 08826-00100 is the right sealant and is about $85 a tube. Definitely not cheap, and not in stock at any dealership.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-04-17 at 11:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
s2kjer (01-03-18)
Old 05-05-17, 06:34 AM
prosem
Driver School Candidate

well hopefully whatever they use lasts another 170k miles
Old 05-05-17, 08:09 AM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Anyone looking for a used ISF, if you find one with low coolant you need to look further. It's a dead giveaway
That's a good point. Make sure you look at the car when it's completely cold. Don't tell the dealership you're coming or they might run the engine either to detail it or move it to a different spot. They might also top off the coolant if they're sleezy and know there's an issue. When you get to the dealership walk over to the car yourself; don't have them drive it over. The car must be cold for the coolant level to be checked properly as stated above.
Old 05-06-17, 12:37 PM
SlowAsF
Driver School Candidate

Lobuxracer is correct its bit more on the expensive side but that is the part number that should be used to seal the plate
Old 05-08-17, 07:01 AM
prosem
Driver School Candidate

So a quick update on my valley plate repair. So not sure exactly what sealant they used, but I can inquire. They may need to take it apart though...

I got the car back and everything seemed well, but when I drove it home on Friday I smelled gas. I thought it was just some spilled left over fuel from taking everything apart, but I started it up again that night and still smelled it. So I took it back over Saturday morning and the tech did a quick look over and did not see any visible fuel leaks. I left it there and they are going to check it out tomorrow.

I am a little concerned that they will need to take it all apart again. However this should be on them, right? The tech said the only fuel line that was removed under the valley plate was torqued down to spec, but if there was something on the surface of the connection that could be causing the leak.

The ELF has already been done on my car so it probably isnt that.

Matt
Old 05-09-17, 09:48 AM
prosem
Driver School Candidate

Another quick update. The tech is thinking the fuel smell is coming from the intake manifold gaskets. Going to replace those to see if the air/fuel mixture from the secondary injectors is seeping out. Also going to check all fuel line connections once the intake manifold is off.

Matt
Old 05-09-17, 04:53 PM
SlowAsF
Driver School Candidate

you should be able to tell from the invoice you received that part number should match the one posted above
not sure why the fuel smell be coming from the intake gasket, that should be replaced after sealing the valley plate. hope they didnt stretch anything too far and created a little leak.
Old 05-10-17, 09:21 PM
prosem
Driver School Candidate

Pretty sure they did exactly that, SlowAsF...

However, my car has quite a few miles on it so makes sense. Two fuel related lines need replaced. Part numbers below. Those are being put on tomorrow as well as the intake manifold gaskets, since they already ordered them. Hopefully I am back up and running tomorrow sometime. However the features of this RC loaner have me spoiled

23274-38020 – Fuel hose part of the fuel pressure relief system

23829-38050 – Hose for the evap system
Old 05-13-17, 02:51 PM
SlowAsF
Driver School Candidate

yea they would need to remove or lift those lines out of the way but hope the cars is out and your enjoying the car and leakless
Old 05-15-17, 08:06 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Does anyone have a rough guideline on the whole process? Dealer quoted me $2600 at 8-9 hours with parts, so I'm gonna have a friend help me out.

And while all the intake manifold is off, do plugs and head gasket?

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?