IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 03:37 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Can anyone in the DFW/Killeen/Austin areas in Texas help a buddy of mine and a fellow IS-F owner? He has a 2008 and took his car to the local Toyota dealership to do an oil change (they've done this multiple times with no issues because the Austin Lexus dealership is over an hour away and closest one). They discovered his valley plate leaked as well. He calls up and sends his car to the Lexus dealer in Austin for the airbag recall anyways and they flat out told him they will not cover the repairs and are asking for $2,000 to fix it. I've brought mine into that dealer before and they do charge a lot of money for practically everything. I remember them quoting me $450 to change out my trunk shocks. He's also going to call Park Place to see what and if they can do anything about it since he is out of warranty obviously. Anyways, help a fellow F owner out for all my Texas peeps.

He needs to contact Lexus corporate and open a case. It also helps to have a service advisor he has worked with for awhile to help with his case. Perhaps even toyota can help with that.
Old 02-14-20, 05:32 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 89 Posts

If/when mine goes i won’t be fueling a case. I bought the car out of warranty.

the cost quoted is very high. I guess that’s one more reason not to live in Austin. Too much money and people in one spot.

good news is I’m sure there’s a quality independent shop that can pull this off. I’d guess more like half that cost.
Old 02-14-20, 06:09 AM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, call or email corporate. I emailed corporate and let my Lexus service guy know I was going to give corporate his name so they could talk to him if they wanted to talk with somebody at the dealership. Calling is probably fastest as it did take a few days to get a reply but eventually they called me and worked out that I pay half of the repair labor, corp will pay half, and the dealership will cover all of the parts cost.

I'm planning on having mine done in the next couple weeks as soon as I find the time.
Old 02-17-20, 08:46 AM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobearchic
Hmm they probably might of pinched one of the O-rings. That happened to me when i did mine. So I had to do my valley plate repair twice within 2 days, what a pain lol. I can say i can do the job in 5 hours now
Originally Posted by F_Throttle
Same with my repair. I bet because they make one tech work on it on his own. Poor guy.
so turns out they pinched an O-ring. The SA just called me and said theyre putting it back together now and gonna test drive. Then they want to have it sit overnight and then the manager wants to drive it tomorrow. I guess we’ll see....
Old 02-18-20, 06:48 PM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There are a number of Lexus dealers offering parts on the Bay all the time. I wouldn't exclude eBay as a source, but there are also lots of Lexus/Toyota dealers on the web selling through websites. Plenty of options to fit your personal risk model.
got the magic sealant in the mail today. Dated 7/2/2019 so not too old if it even matters.

Old 02-19-20, 09:14 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't have a lot of experience working with liquid gaskets/sealants in the more complex applications (I prefer solid gaskets =), so I can't attest to precisely how "difficult" it may be to get it 100% right for a component that requires it to be 100% right. I've done it on a spoiler and a trans. Let's say the sealant differences are coincidental. I've heard our engines are partially hand built - anyone think it's possible that one specific guy who worked at the Tahara plant is responsible for this? Say they had five people responsible for attaching the valley plates on the assembly line for all the ISFs and one guy got it wrong?
Old 02-29-20, 07:32 AM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Well, just had mine done yesterday. Ended up being $500 out of pocket after Lexus corp covered half the labor and the dealership covered parts. I brought them the correct sealant but when I picked up the car it was still sitting on the front seat so they didn't even use it. That part is annoying but still happy Lexus helped me out on the cost. Here are some pics of mine.

Old 02-29-20, 08:11 AM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BaronvdB
Well, just had mine done yesterday. Ended up being $500 out of pocket after Lexus corp covered half the labor and the dealership covered parts. I brought them the correct sealant but when I picked up the car it was still sitting on the front seat so they didn't even use it. That part is annoying but still happy Lexus helped me out on the cost. Here are some pics of mine.

So what did they use? Oil pan sealant? I'd be furious
Old 02-29-20, 09:23 AM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Yep, "00295-00103 FIPG OIL PAN". They way I look at it if it happens again it's on them. I told them I had the right sealant and they choose not to use it apparently. They can't blame the sealant I supplied as a scapegoat if the repair doesn't hold...

Old 02-29-20, 11:31 AM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by BaronvdB
Yep, "00295-00103 FIPG OIL PAN". They way I look at it if it happens again it's on them. I told them I had the right sealant and they choose not to use it apparently. They can't blame the sealant I supplied as a scapegoat if the repair doesn't hold...
They did the same crap to me. Problem is that if it leaks again it will likely be beyond the 1 year warranty that is provided. I can't believe they just left the sealant you had on the seat... Wow
Old 02-29-20, 12:32 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kjer
They did the same crap to me. Problem is that if it leaks again it will likely be beyond the 1 year warranty that is provided. I can't believe they just left the sealant you had on the seat... Wow
They probably can't warranty the work if they use customer brought items. I know my local dealership will not put any customer bought items/fluid in the car when they perform service. I wanted diff fluid changed and they absolutely would not use the mobil 1 fluid that I brought.
Old 02-29-20, 12:44 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by Joker4096
They probably can't warranty the work if they use customer brought items. I know my local dealership will not put any customer bought items/fluid in the car when they perform service. I wanted diff fluid changed and they absolutely would not use the mobil 1 fluid that I brought.
I don't think so. I've always used my own and just pay for labor. Might vary by dealer owner.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (03-01-20)
Old 02-29-20, 12:51 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't think so. I've always used my own and just pay for labor. Might vary by dealer owner.
That's definitely true.
Old 02-29-20, 02:28 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

So what did they use? Oil pan sealant? I'd be furious
Me too
Old 05-27-20, 10:44 AM
ThisSideUp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone had their car sound different after getting it back from this repair? Its hard to describe the change in sound but it almost sounds muffled - especially at higher RPMs.
They checked for leaks (pressure test?) but that is all my report says. Any ideas?

The engine didn't overheat as far as I know - before the repair when coolant got low, temps shot up one time (never reached red) but I pulled over and let the car cool down before limping it home.

Thanks to all the contributing members, this info was a great help. I luckily got the magic black goop on the repair job... Not thrilled that it was out of pocket though.

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?