IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 05:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I had mine fixed by dealership and have added fluid 2 times. They said they are going to need to check it out when I go next
Old 12-03-16, 06:22 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Add me to the list! I added coolant last week Friday. It was full and stayed full for a few days. While the car was cold and went it got to operating temp. I checked it today, and it's sitting in the low line. This is issue is simply irritating! Whatever sealant they're using ain't worth a crap. Good thing I'm still under the power train warranty and got a cpo to 100k.
Old 12-03-16, 07:32 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Lexus should've used a gasket instead of sealant?!

That's what the master tech said when he fixed mine, said that a gasket would've been a logical choice and doesn't understand why they would use sealant in this high performance application based on what temps these cars see when being tracked/driven hard etc..........

Here's hoping they issue a recall at some point for the ISF/LS460
Old 12-03-16, 09:02 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Lexus should've used a gasket instead of sealant?!

That's what the master tech said when he fixed mine, said that a gasket would've been a logical choice and doesn't understand why they would use sealant in this high performance application based on what temps these cars see when being tracked/driven hard etc..........

Here's hoping they issue a recall at some point for the ISF/LS460
Out of curiosity, what did the tech say in referencing to warrantying the work? I assume there's no fix to this issue? As they used the same sealant? Also, did you ever get a picture of them cleaning up the entire leaked areas?
Old 12-04-16, 09:07 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

The only thing Lexus did is go to a "new and improved sealant which is supposed to work well against coolant" which has a new part # compared to the original sealant that was used from the factory when the engine was put together. Lexus apparently saw that there was an issue and tried to fix it by a "stronger" sealant. I don't really consider it a fix as the sealant probably will break down over time depending on how the car is driven??

No I never had the chance to snap a photo of the valley cleaned up before he put it back together, but assured me that it was cleaned up before he put everything back together.
Old 12-04-16, 06:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

The sealant doesn't "break down" per se. The parts expand and contract at different rates which causes the sealant to get torn and start to leak. They would have been way ahead to put a rubber gasket on it, or at least a very large o-ring type gasket. They are a lot less susceptible to failure when the parts are not expanding and contracting at the same rate.

I just checked the part number for the heat exchanger and did a search for applicable models. This part has not changed from the ISF to the RCF to the GSF, so Lexus seems pretty confident they've fixed the issue with the new sealant.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-04-16 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Desecate (11-27-20)
Old 12-04-16, 07:38 PM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope I don't have this issue... losing coolant slightly with no visible leaks. When it was low I wasn't getting any heat at idle.. topped up and it has heat at idle but just checked and it's low again.
Old 12-04-16, 08:32 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry guys but the symptoms everyone has been describing sounds like Valley plate leak. I too lied to myself for over a year before it went full blown pink down the back of my motor.

Since the repair, it's been at the full mark 24/7 regardless of temp.
Old 12-05-16, 01:49 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I just checked the part number for the heat exchanger and did a search for applicable models. This part has not changed from the ISF to the RCF to the GSF, so Lexus seems pretty confident they've fixed the issue with the new sealant.
Interesting...... If the part hasn't changed I hope they're (Lexus) right about the new sealant working long term for ISF owners who've had the new sealant/repair done and no issues coming up for RCF/GSF owners....
Old 12-05-16, 04:47 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
Sorry guys but the symptoms everyone has been describing sounds like Valley plate leak. I too lied to myself for over a year before it went full blown pink down the back of my motor.

Since the repair, it's been at the full mark 24/7 regardless of temp.
Do you need to be under the car to see the pink or can you see it in the back of the engine bay? Mine has stayed at the same level for a few months now so hopefully I'm safe but it did get low at one point.
Old 12-05-16, 05:32 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
Do you need to be under the car to see the pink or can you see it in the back of the engine bay? Mine has stayed at the same level for a few months now so hopefully I'm safe but it did get low at one point.
It's really tough to see it from above. If you stand next to the battery and look in front of the firewall you may be able to see it; you'll have to look past all the hoses. Once it's leaking out you should be able to from underneath. It was running down my transmission and headers. I got photos in floating around cl somewhere.
Old 12-06-16, 12:18 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Any chance any of you gentlemen can provide the new sealant part number? I want to have it handy for when I take care of this. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-16, 04:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

08826-00100 is the Lexus/Toyota/Scion part number. It's pretty pricey at ~$65 a tube from e-tailers on the net. MSRP is $89.64. It is specifically for coolant.
Old 12-06-16, 04:43 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

08826-00100 is the Lexus/Toyota/Scion part number. It's pretty pricey at ~$65 a tube from e-tailers on the net. MSRP is $89.64. It is specifically for coolant.
Much obliged for your assistance, as always!
Old 12-06-16, 04:52 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Would an off the shelf sealant work in place of this? Some permatex brand?

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?