IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wanting opinions. Get 2011+ ISF or CTS-V.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 01:08 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You had an Is-F previously.

You can get the V Caddy as a coupe, sedan & wagon. The automatic has only 6 speeds, but you can get a manual.

The rear seats have much more leg & shoulder room.

There seem to be lots more of 'em available... at least where I live.

And I've witnessed 'em (manuals) turn 11.0 sec. et's with full bolt-ons (headers, pulleys, & tune) & slicks.

I'm currently trying to talk my brother-in-law (lifelong Chevy guy) into getting a 6 sp wagon to take to the drags.

I say go for the Cadillac. How long do you think cheap fuel prices will last.

For me, though, it's the Isf.
Old 05-20-16, 06:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wouldnt touch a CTSV as tempting as they are. Any time I do any forum research on them I find 2 things. 1. they are powerful and easy to make added power 2. They are at the dealership all the time. A recent F owner who traded for a V said it was not nearly as reliable as the F and the service quality is not as good either.
Old 05-20-16, 06:57 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I wouldnt touch a CTSV as tempting as they are. Any time I do any forum research on them I find 2 things. 1. they are powerful and easy to make added power 2. They are at the dealership all the time. A recent F owner who traded for a V said it was not nearly as reliable as the F and the service quality is not as good either.

I drove an automatic coupe in CA once, MONSTER engine, but I agree with the others, if the car spends more time on the rack, then what's the point?

I'd say get back into the ISF, if you want more power, than mod it.
Old 05-20-16, 09:25 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rican3kgt
Good find man, thanks. This is the kind of stuff that I was wanting to help make my decision.
I traded my 2011 F in on a 2012 CTS-V 6 speed manual sedan and I love it. This so called engine issue is all bull****. It's a rattle in the supercharger that occurs in some cars and GM replaces them for free up to 10 yrs or 120k miles. They give u loaner car and it's a very quick turnaround. I daily drive my V and have had no issues. If u want to ask me any questions go ahead and PM me before u buy a V. I will tell u what to look for.
Old 05-20-16, 10:34 PM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input, was hoping to find a owner of a CTS-V here to give me best of both worlds opinion.
Old 05-20-16, 11:15 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all the input, was hoping to find a owner of a CTS-V here to give me best of both worlds opinion.
Originally Posted by Mrd916
I traded my 2011 F in on a 2012 CTS-V 6 speed manual sedan and I love it. This so called engine issue is all bull****. It's a rattle in the supercharger that occurs in some cars and GM replaces them for free up to 10 yrs or 120k miles. They give u loaner car and it's a very quick turnaround. I daily drive my V and have had no issues. If u want to ask me any questions go ahead and PM me before u buy a V. I will tell u what to look for.
I think he's got all the answers for you right here.
Old 05-21-16, 11:01 AM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

So my older brother has a CTSV and I drive an 08 Isf. I understand you're looking at a newer Isf but I've driven both and really it's the same crap just a little smoother and more refined.

If you want a car that will FEEL more well balanced, funner to daily throwing it around corners and more "reliable" get the ISF

If you want a power house and a V8 that's actually worth something get the V.

The 2nd gen V is a great handler in stock form and it's nicely balanced from factory but it's nowhere near as fun as the F. The V interior feels cheaper quality although looks nicer in pictures. Pro side of the V is although not as "reliable" you can find parts at your local auto parts store for dirt cheap and the engines been around for decades and very simple so it's really easy to work on. For the same price we F owners are trying to pass 400 whp you can easily make close to double that with the V. (Brother is making 800+ daily driver)

If I could do it all over I would get the V but the F still makes me very happy.

Last edited by dprada01; 05-21-16 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-21-16, 04:37 PM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dprada01
So my older brother has a CTSV and I drive an 08 Isf. I understand you're looking at a newer Isf but I've driven both and really it's the same crap just a little smoother and more refined.

If you want a car that will FEEL more well balanced, funner to daily throwing it around corners and more "reliable" get the ISF

If you want a power house and a V8 that's actually worth something get the V.

The 2nd gen V is a great handler in stock form and it's nicely balanced from factory but it's nowhere near as fun as the F. The V interior feels cheaper quality although looks nicer in pictures. Pro side of the V is although not as "reliable" you can find parts at your local auto parts store for dirt cheap and the engines been around for decades and very simple so it's really easy to work on. For the same price we F owners are trying to pass 400 whp you can easily make close to double that with the V. (Brother is making 800+ daily driver)

If I could do it all over I would get the V but the F still makes me very happy.
As for wanting a newer model it was mostly for the LSD, rims from the 2012 and the headlights. Plus having a newer one would be less likely to mess up in my opinion, didn't really care to much about suspension part even though it's a plus. That is a good point though about parts for the CTS, because your not going to be going to autozone for anything for the Lexus. I'm probably going to go test drive the V here in a couple of days just to get a feel for it.
Old 05-21-16, 04:44 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Actually I just registered on one of their forums to ask the same questions because yes I know it would be a biased opinion but I was hoping that maybe some of the members here may have owned one before that could give the own personal input and comparison. I'm actually leaning more towards the ISF because of reliability because honestly I don't have the money to keep paying for the car to be in the shop. Thanks for your opinion.
Here the turning point, "I dont have the money to keep paying for the car in the shop". Get the F so that you have a peace of mind.
Old 05-23-16, 02:01 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

If you go to their forums they are all going to say great things like we do on here.

Its really just an opinion. If you want to upgrade past the hp the F can do then do it but there is also a cost to that. Rack time at the shop.

I love the isf and knowing that reliability there is priceless to me. Yes I wish we could do more mods but the things is pretty quick as it sits. Now there is a tune and looks to be a SC kit.

In the end GM vehichels to me are junk. Never owned one but friends do. Lot of issues, wiring and mechanical.

In the end these are all opinions go with your gut.

I got a is300 as well. Slow as s***t but I beat the hell out of it as a DD and I have only had to replace the breaks. 226k and clocking.
Old 05-23-16, 02:18 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned and do own GM vehicles every time I say "never again" then I get sucked in and and I am right back to never again shortly after. I don't have a caddy but I have had a couple GM Denalis including our current Acadia Denali that is a total pile of crap vs imports. It looked good and had awesome features but at the end of the day it's a typical GM with tons of road noise, poor fit and finish (it clunks and bangs right from new and they claim "they all do that") I also find at GM/caddy dealers they still treat you like you are bringing your cavalier or what ever thier entry level is now. They argue with me and do 1/2 assed service jobs and I have tried several dealers now. Had 4 free oil changes when I purchased the vehicle they actually threatened to void my warranty if I didn't pay for a $100 inspection with my "free oil change" I almost had the girl reduced to tears when she spit that line out at me... By the end she said "sir I just work here" another place they tried up selling me to get my trans fluid changed in 1/2 the interval the service manual recommend I asked to see his sheet and it looked legit all printed out with recommendations but when I checked the owners manual nothing matched up. When I go to Lexus or even in the past BMW they at least treat you like you're not cattle that they are trying to get in and out as quick as possible. I wanted a CTS-V wagon in the worst way but I am back to telling myself "never another GM"
Old 05-23-16, 02:19 PM
oyeitsdean
Rookie

CTSV more beefy, but wont last long. ISF if your looking for a little more reliable car. But Both gonna cost you an arm and a leg if either one goes down.
Old 05-23-16, 03:14 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How about RC-F? Have you test drive then yet?
Old 05-23-16, 03:39 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^
I think OP said they want to stay in the 40k - 45k price range.

RCF's not quite there yet, unfortunately. I luv 'em even if they are overweight.
Old 05-23-16, 03:51 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about like a 2012 e63 biturbo, not sure reliability wise or on what insurance costs are on those but you can easily get one in that price range plus I hear with a basic tune they push 600+ whp

Quick Reply: Wanting opinions. Get 2011+ ISF or CTS-V.