IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

High Altitude + Tune = Think again (bye KCLV)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-16, 01:27 AM
mystikal30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome news! I've been waiting on pulling the trigger on the tuned intake hoping that there will be gains for us here in Albuquerque being a mile high like you guys in Colorado. The best I could manage up here with I/H/E is 13.3@107. Maybe with the tuned intake and better air I could dip into the 12's, What times are you guys seeing in Colorado with full bolt on's?
Old 07-02-16, 05:27 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I can vouch I was with him when we were testing it last night ending the lives of hundreds of bugs at triple digit speeds

It does feel a lot better on the top end, so guessing more tweaking will be done to the tune and the high altitude portion might be taken care of

Like DC guy said more testing will ensue tonight and over the next week so stay tuned!

Josh... really want to thank you for all your patience throughout this, particularly the datalogging of the stock cars really helped us figure out what was wrong with the tune at altitude. We still have some work to do, but based on the mods, I am quiet confidant you are making much better power numbers now than before.

Really curious to see of the tuned intake will help at altitude.

Looks like the mass airflow at altitude is about 20% less than we are seeing near sea level... but the volume airflow rate might be the same or higher. So if we operate on the assumption that airflow rate through the intake is limited by the volume airflow rate, then the tuned intake could help -- we shall see!

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 07-02-16, 09:26 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Josh... really want to thank you for all your patience throughout this, particularly the datalogging of the stock cars really helped us figure out what was wrong with the tune at altitude. We still have some work to do, but based on the mods, I am quiet confidant you are making much better power numbers now than before.

Really curious to see of the tuned intake will help at altitude.

Looks like the mass airflow at altitude is about 20% less than we are seeing near sea level... but the volume airflow rate might be the same or higher. So if we operate on the assumption that airflow rate through the intake is limited by the volume airflow rate, then the tuned intake could help -- we shall see!

Rafi
Yea exactly! What he said^^^
Old 11-09-16, 05:16 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Just wanted to see if any more progress was made on the high altitude tune? I'm in CO and looking to buy an ISF soon and a tune. Did anyone try the RR tuned intake? Did it help? Thanks folks!
Old 11-09-16, 07:31 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FilwithanF
Just wanted to see if any more progress was made on the high altitude tune? I'm in CO and looking to buy an ISF soon and a tune. Did anyone try the RR tuned intake? Did it help? Thanks folks!
I guess I should have updated this thread a little bit with our findings. A lot of the local guys with the RR tune worked diligently with Rafi to get a revised high altitude tune. We saw improvement with the tune. I eventually received a revised tune from TTFS which also helped but didn't get ideal results like the guys at sea level. It wasn't until we started blending e85 with 91 to start seeing the benefits of the tune here at altitude. MileHIFcar ran the tuned intake without headers and ethanol blend and saw improvements but he's full bolt on now. I think if you're going to go the tune route blending e85 is a must for the best benefits of the tune. Even without the tune you'd see benefits of blending e85. Check the other thread for information on the blending stuff. Even without the revised altitude tune we are seeing benefits on the basic tune here. I actually have both tunes now (RR & TTFS) and often switch between the two to experiment after a few months.
Old 11-09-16, 10:23 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by liquidtek
I guess I should have updated this thread a little bit with our findings. A lot of the local guys with the RR tune worked diligently with Rafi to get a revised high altitude tune. We saw improvement with the tune. I eventually received a revised tune from TTFS which also helped but didn't get ideal results like the guys at sea level. It wasn't until we started blending e85 with 91 to start seeing the benefits of the tune here at altitude. MileHIFcar ran the tuned intake without headers and ethanol blend and saw improvements but he's full bolt on now. I think if you're going to go the tune route blending e85 is a must for the best benefits of the tune. Even without the tune you'd see benefits of blending e85. Check the other thread for information on the blending stuff. Even without the revised altitude tune we are seeing benefits on the basic tune here. I actually have both tunes now (RR & TTFS) and often switch between the two to experiment after a few months.
Thank you so much for your response! If I may ask, were there any HP/TQ gains without E85 and with, if anyone dyno'd?
Old 11-09-16, 12:14 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Thank you so much for your response! If I may ask, were there any HP/TQ gains without E85 and with, if anyone dyno'd?
With the multiple dynos and tunes I've bought I don't feel like sinking anymore money into any immediate dyno session until after I get headers. I'm guessing the improvements are marginal at best but the e85 with the added octane keeps the engine and KCLV numbers happier at this altitude than it does with just plain ol 91. My most recent non revision dyno results are on the first page.

Last edited by liquidtek; 11-09-16 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-10-16, 07:22 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by liquidtek
With the multiple dynos and tunes I've bought I don't feel like sinking anymore money into any immediate dyno session until after I get headers. I'm guessing the improvements are marginal at best but the e85 with the added octane keeps the engine and KCLV numbers happier at this altitude than it does with just plain ol 91. My most recent non revision dyno results are on the first page.
I definitely can understand that. Thank you for explaining! What headers are you going with, if I may ask?
Old 11-10-16, 09:15 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

I definitely can understand that. Thank you for explaining! What headers are you going with, if I may ask?
Probably order PPE in the next couple months.