IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR RACING Supercharger ISF at Pocono Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 06:52 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looking forward to seeing the supercharged F and RR racing in SoCal in a few weeks. luckily for me, i have a supercharged truck, so the SC for the F isn't really tempting. unless RR racing takes me for a drive.
Old 05-23-16, 11:27 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

For all nay sayers, please before you make negative comments do a little reach. Rafi stated weeks ago that it would be air to water intercooler, that it would be running 6lbs to 8lbs of boost. This is PROTOTYPE for those that are Johnny come lately to arguably one of the largest threads ever done on CL for the ISF all the information is there just read through it. RRR is conducting shack down of there SC kit. That's why it's only slightly over 3lbs of boost as they test SC,they will slowly increase boost and monitor the drivetrain system.

As far as cost is concern that 8k price is about right. Back in 2004 I had SRT4 I spent just over $5800 upgrading turbo system in my SRT4 Big turbo, injectors, wastegate, blow off valve, front mount intercooler etc. Great job Rafi and Simon keep up good work.
Old 05-23-16, 11:32 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mindcrime
looking forward to seeing the supercharged F and RR racing in SoCal in a few weeks. luckily for me, i have a supercharged truck, so the SC for the F isn't really tempting. unless RR racing takes me for a drive.
Careful what you wish for!

I'm sure Rafi will take a few people for a ride in this beast!

Just to echo others before me, trying to shoehorn a supercharger into that packed engine bay can't have been easy. I personally like the layout.

Pretty sure most of us never expected a viable supercharger kit to be offered for these cars, so the fact Rafi, Simon and their team have made this happen is huge!

As with all RR products, good to see the guys are thoroughly testing this setup before they offer it to customers. No doubt the end product will be another quality item that will work properly, and not threaten the reliability of our engines.

I for one am really grateful to Rafi and his team.

Keep it up guys.
Old 05-24-16, 04:54 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,405 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by fstpassat
The supercharger market for M3's is substantially larger than ISF's. It won't be an equal playing field price wise due to economies of scale. I would expect that a similarly priced ISF supercharger kit won't equally compare component wise to an M3 kit.
You are right, the ISF supercharger market is not nearly as big as E92 M3... those companies (ESS, Evolve, etc) literally sell hundreds of kits over the years.

That said, their price range is $8000-$14000, and like I said, we will be at the bottom end of that range (and of course our current tune customers can deduct whatever they paid for the NA tune from the SC price). We are using the same SC unit as the Evolve kits (Rotrex c38-91), and we are also doing something none of these guys are doing -- using a custom fully dampened ATI pulley to drive the supercharger. Those guys simply machine an aluminum crank pulley and call it a day... Other unique features include ceramic silicone nitride bearings in the idler pulleys for durability, and a unique automatic
belt tensioning system that so far is proving to be very reliable (observed zero belt wear during Sundays track day).

Some folks are commenting on the number of connectors. This is a prototype, although these connections are extremely durable and use T-bolt style clamps that will never slip. In the final product we will combine pipes and clean it up. We will also have them available in black for those who want a more stealthy look. Either way, its a very tight fit because we are using 3" tubing, not 2.5" as is typically used on high HP intercooler setups you see on other cars.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 05-24-16 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 05:26 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Looks like the Porsche is getting away.
The Porsche may have had the jump on him coming out of the infield, but look closely as Rafi reels him in before the turn

-Mike

Old 05-24-16, 05:51 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikersoft
The Porsche may have had the jump on him coming out of the infield, but look closely as Rafi reels him in before the turn

-Mike

Supercharged IS-F - YouTube

Thanks Mike... that was the latest 991 GT3. He actually slowed me down heading into that turn, but he exited very fast (definitely took a better line then I did) and got a jump on me initially, so it wasnt until 1/2 way down the straight that I started closing the gap.

Later that lap the car shut down and went into limp mode due to circuit failure of the one bank of injectors. Turns out the night before when we bled the brakes, my Motive power bleeder popped off the cap and sprayed brake fluid all over the drivers side engine compartment, and it must have caused a short in a connector once everything heated up. Luckily Penske was there with their truck, so we sprayed down that whole area with cleaner and blew it out with 300psi Nitrogen gas... problem solved!

The final treat was when they opened up the entire NASCAR oval for lapping at 6pm. I was lifting in the corners quite a bit, because all I could think about was having a tire blow and going into the wall at 140mph...

Anyway, it was like NASCAR in an ISF, made my day

-Rafi

Old 05-24-16, 05:55 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I am excited to see the finished product. I showed the pics to the wife and she shook her head, but didn't say no
Old 05-24-16, 06:24 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The blue hoses in the kit look like the ones in a HPS intake pipe.
Are they Teflon too by chance?
Old 05-24-16, 06:30 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Thanks Mike... that was the latest 991 GT3. He actually slowed me down heading into that turn, but he exited very fast (definitely took a better line then I did) and got a jump on me initially, so it wasnt until 1/2 way down the straight that I started closing the gap.

Later that lap the car shut down and went into limp mode due to circuit failure of the one bank of injectors. Turns out the night before when we bled the brakes, my Motive power bleeder popped off the cap and sprayed brake fluid all over the drivers side engine compartment, and it must have caused a short in a connector once everything heated up. Luckily Penske was there with their truck, so we sprayed down that whole area with cleaner and blew it out with 300psi Nitrogen gas... problem solved!

The final treat was when they opened up the entire NASCAR oval for lapping at 6pm. I was lifting in the corners quite a bit, because all I could think about was having a tire blow and going into the wall at 140mph...

Anyway, it was like NASCAR in an ISF, made my day

-Rafi
How was the oil pressure in the Oval banks?
Old 05-24-16, 07:01 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rafi,

Appreciate all the work you've done. Your SC is a gamechanger for the ISF community. One question...ESS makes a non-intercooled version of their set-up that puts out ~500 hp at the wheels with 5.5 lbs of boost. Is this an option for those of us that would rather keep a more stealth appearance without all the piping?

I know it's not the optimal setup for big power but I think there are several that might be more apt to purchase a more sleeper looking appearance.
Old 05-24-16, 07:46 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

May we dare ask what even just 3psi makes for power to wet the appetite?

I'd be stoked if it was even over 450whp honestly.
Old 05-24-16, 07:52 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
May we dare ask what even just 3psi makes for power to wet the appetite?

I'd be stoked if it was even over 450whp honestly.
Considering they claim ~430-450 with I/H/E and tune, I'd hope 3psi of boost makes more.
Old 05-24-16, 08:12 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by DrRick
Rafi,

Appreciate all the work you've done. Your SC is a gamechanger for the ISF community. One question...ESS makes a non-intercooled version of their set-up that puts out ~500 hp at the wheels with 5.5 lbs of boost. Is this an option for those of us that would rather keep a more stealth appearance without all the piping?

I know it's not the optimal setup for big power but I think there are several that might be more apt to purchase a more sleeper looking appearance.
Yes, for a more stealth appearance, you could just run no-intercooler and water meth injection for safety and consistency.

Based on the airflow values we are seeing, the ISF should not require nearly as much boost as the e92 M3 for same HP, so less boost equals less heat.

Rafi

Old 05-24-16, 12:21 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do this rafi, please offer two tunes. Now that it's at home flash able I'd like to see an e85 map as well...if there's enough room in the injectors.
Old 05-24-16, 12:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Yes, for a more stealth appearance, you could just run no-intercooler and water meth injection for safety and consistency.

Based on the airflow values we are seeing, the ISF should not require nearly as much boost as the e92 M3 for same HP, so less boost equals less heat.

Rafi
This is so exciting. The followers of F THE TRACK are drooling !!

Quick Reply: RR RACING Supercharger ISF at Pocono Raceway