IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Do you need to bleed brakes after a HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 11:10 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need to bleed brakes after a HPDE

Well I have just completed 2 track days and going on my 3rd this Wed. I am running Motul 600 with Project Mu HC+800 pads on stock rotor. I never experienced any fades whatsoever. Also will 500ml be enough? I am not sure when I should change out brake fluid. Any suggestions?

Last edited by AshyAnklez; 05-23-16 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 05:47 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Brake fluid is cheap, the IS-F is hard on consumables, and the one thing you absolutely don't want to fail is your brakes.
Old 05-24-16, 06:00 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
Brake fluid is cheap, the IS-F is hard on consumables, and the one thing you absolutely don't want to fail is your brakes.
I agree.. I think bleeding them with a single bottle of fluid before each HPDE event is worth the peace of mind.

-Mike
Old 05-24-16, 06:17 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would bleed just enough to get and air/degraded fluid out of the system. Check for bubbles , once you stop seeing them, move to the next caliper. I usually do this before each day at the track. For example, On race weekends or 2-day track events I bleed at the start of each day. This could take way less than a full bottle and could take more if something really went wrong. Most of the air/degraded fluid in the system is contained to the caliper and the lines close to it. The other lines generally have original spec fluid since the system doesn't really cycle and they are not experiencing extreme heat to boil the fluid. So each time you bleed the brakes your just moving good fluid through the system. I guess you will be out there with Zach, awesome man! Wish I could make it this time, I'm shooting for June/July though, most likely July, you think you might come out to that event?
Old 05-24-16, 06:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

My local 15 year-experienced HPDE instructor/ racer's (wife) answer is...

Do you have to? No.

If you want to be super safe, do it both before and after.

Before because during typical street activity moisture and air have worked their way into the system and will compromise the edge of braking performance

After because likely you've overheated your braking system beyond it's normal operating range with a car as heavy as the IS-F and pedal won't be as firm on the street as it could be.
Old 05-24-16, 03:19 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by calteg
That does make sense
Old 05-24-16, 03:24 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by Piston1047
I would bleed just enough to get and air/degraded fluid out of the system. Check for bubbles , once you stop seeing them, move to the next caliper. I usually do this before each day at the track. For example, On race weekends or 2-day track events I bleed at the start of each day. This could take way less than a full bottle and could take more if something really went wrong. Most of the air/degraded fluid in the system is contained to the caliper and the lines close to it. The other lines generally have original spec fluid since the system doesn't really cycle and they are not experiencing extreme heat to boil the fluid. So each time you bleed the brakes your just moving good fluid through the system. I guess you will be out there with Zach, awesome man! Wish I could make it this time, I'm shooting for June/July though, most likely July, you think you might come out to that event?
Ok. I will flush to move the good fluid through....Thanks for your input. I should have purchased Earls solo bleed. I wonder how good it really is.

I got to ride with Zach the last time we were at AMP in April. I will try to make July.
Old 05-24-16, 03:32 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
My local 15 year-experienced HPDE instructor/ racer's (wife) answer is...

Do you have to? No.

If you want to be super safe, do it both before and after.

Before because during typical street activity moisture and air have worked their way into the system and will compromise the edge of braking performance

After because likely you've overheated your braking system beyond it's normal operating range with a car as heavy as the IS-F and pedal won't be as firm on the street as it could be.
Playing Devils A...

Whats the point of upgrading to Motul 600 if I have to keep changing out fluid before and after?
Old 05-24-16, 03:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by AshyAnklez
Playing Devils A...

Whats the point of upgrading to Motul 600 if I have to keep changing out fluid before and after?
Typically a higher boiling point, improved hygroscopic properties. The real point is not having your brakes have issues on the track or the street.

My wife is a real "change it before it becomes a problem" type person when it comes to track stuff so take that into account with her answer. She uses the Castrol SRF fluid which is $60+ a qt, but her track car isn't street legal so it's typically only a bleed 'before' for her.
Old 05-24-16, 05:15 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok. I will flush to move the good fluid through....Thanks for your input. I should have purchased Earls solo bleed. I wonder how good it really is.

I got to ride with Zach the last time we were at AMP in April. I will try to make July.
I use the Motiv speed bleeder. The calipers on the ISF were designed with easy access in mind. Bleeding brakes and changing pads is really, really simple. Going on track costs a lot of time and money. If you aren't willing to commit both, stay at home for everyone else's safety, lest you turn your ISF into a 4000lb missile you can't stop.
Old 05-24-16, 06:21 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Playing Devils A...

You get the higher boiling point. Like I said, you don't need to change it out, just need to do a slight bleed to get the air and fluid out of the caliper, it usually is barely enough to fill the bleeder bottle. If you have dough to go through a whole bottle, go ahead. I don't do it.
Old 05-24-16, 06:24 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Thanks everyone for their input. The verdict is in!!! Flush your fluid before/after an event. I will be ordering the Earls solo bleeder.....
Old 05-24-16, 06:43 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for their input. The verdict is in!!! Flush your fluid before/after an event. I will be ordering the Earls solo bleeder.....
Don't need to flush man, just bleed. In my mind flushing sounds like a lot of fluid. Bleed the air, that's all.
Old 05-24-16, 06:49 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Don't need to flush man, just bleed. In my mind flushing sounds like a lot of fluid. Bleed the air, that's all.
Oops my bad!
Old 05-24-16, 06:56 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Oops my bad!
Cool an, keep it safe and have fun. I can't wait to try my Penskes out next time.

Quick Reply: Do you need to bleed brakes after a HPDE