IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The Definition Of A 'Tuner'

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 05:36 AM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default The Definition Of A 'Tuner'

I have seen a lot of threads lately on various tuners for IS F and RC F - It seems there is steep competition as to who is better, etc. I did a quick internet search to get the definition of tuning (I used car tuning) and here is what I got -

"The essence of modification of a tuner car is an attempt to extract the greatest possible performance—or the appearance of high performance—from the base motor vehicle through the addition, alteration or outright replacement of parts. Although this largely involves modifying the engine and management systems of the vehicle to increase the power output, additional changes are often required to allow the vehicle to handle this power, including stiffened suspension, widened tires, better brakes, improved steering and transmission modifications such as the installation of a short shifter. Although largely invisible from outside the vehicle, certain modifications such as low profile tires, altered suspension, and the addition of spoilers can change the overall appearance of the car, as well as adding downforce to increase traction. It can be difficult to replace certain custom parts because of the accessibility of the new custom pieces."

From this interpretation, a tuner is one who works on all of the road worthy dynamics not just engine and engine control.
Old 05-24-16, 09:19 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skipetenj

From this interpretation, a tuner is one who works on all of the road worthy dynamics not just engine and engine control.
I don't agree that a tuner has to know everything. A tuner can be specific to one area of a vehicle, and does not have to know everything else. Engine management for example, that to me is high level tuning, and if a persons specialty is only engine management I do consider them "tuners" even if they don't know anything about suspension.
Old 05-24-16, 11:04 AM
STANC36
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how should they cover all aspects of tuning?
Most manufacturers have more people in their development for each part of the car than most tuners got people in total.
I guess a shop that builds performance cars should cover every aspect, but they just install parts that other tuners have engineered and set them up to work properly with each other.
Old 05-24-16, 11:24 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

tuner= someone who tries to enhance performance with aftermarket or engineered parts. in my book
Old 05-24-16, 03:50 PM
ntaphse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about ECU tuning specifically? That broad definition is not the same thing.