IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Equal-length header sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 01:29 PM
PearlIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xSumDumGuy
Got the car back yesterday and i'll post up some videos later today or tomorrow. I tried taking some videos yesterday, but it was pretty windy and you can hear it so i'll have to take new ones.

Dynos are extremely confusing to me and i've got an email out to Paul to see if he can provide some information. I have the base line dynos then dynos for after headers/exhaust. It only gained 34-37whp from both headers and exhaust so i'm not sure how that could be. Temperature was the same in both dynos at a cool 103 degrees. Looking at Lou's prior dynos it looks like he gained about 18whp from the exhaust alone. Equal length headers appear to be gaining about same as unequal length at peak from his unequal/equal length dynos.

I'll post up the dynos later as well with the sound clips.

EDIT: I just noticed the temperatures when Lou ran his Dynos which were 70-80 degrees.
Can't wait for the videos. Where are you located in Arizona? I'm up in Scottsdale.
Old 07-14-16, 01:56 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Got the car back yesterday and i'll post up some videos later today or tomorrow. I tried taking some videos yesterday, but it was pretty windy and you can hear it so i'll have to take new ones.

Dynos are extremely confusing to me and i've got an email out to Paul to see if he can provide some information. I have the base line dynos then dynos for after headers/exhaust. It only gained 34-37whp from both headers and exhaust so i'm not sure how that could be. Temperature was the same in both dynos at a cool 103 degrees. Looking at Lou's prior dynos it looks like he gained about 18whp from the exhaust alone. Equal length headers appear to be gaining about same as unequal length at peak from his unequal/equal length dynos.

I'll post up the dynos later as well with the sound clips.

EDIT: I just noticed the temperatures when Lou ran his Dynos which were 70-80 degrees.
So your at 389-392whp?
Old 07-14-16, 01:57 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlIS
Can't wait for the videos. Where are you located in Arizona? I'm up in Scottsdale.
I'm in East Mesa.
Old 07-14-16, 02:06 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
So your at 389-392whp?
That's what I was expecting. I'll just post the dyno now. I was extremely shocked, but I have no idea how they were dynoing. Numbers seem extremely low, even with the heat, so i'll have to check my throttle body and plugs.

5th Gear

6th Gear
Old 07-14-16, 02:56 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

wow...

Maybe your novel tune causing issues? Probably good time to check your KCLV values too if you can get techstream setup.
Old 07-14-16, 03:04 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
wow...

Maybe your novel tune causing issues? Probably good time to check your KCLV values too if you can get techstream setup.
I don't have any tune at the moment. Waiting for a custom tune option in the future.

I'll have to buy one of the cables then get tech stream as I don't have either at the moment. The car only has 23k miles so I can't imagine the plugs are all that bad, but other than the throttle body (I guess KCLV could be an issue) or plugs I can't think of why the numbers are so low.
Old 07-14-16, 03:05 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Oh snap didn't know that he was running the Novel tune?

Yea like redcrxsi said above you need to check your KCLV numbers to see where they are below 3k & above 3k and see if the computer is trying to advance timing when you are WOT

Edit: Never mind on the tune saw your response above
Old 07-14-16, 03:10 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Probably because 104 degree weather. Was there sufficient airflow in the front during dyno?
Old 07-14-16, 03:13 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Probably because 104 degree weather. Was there sufficient airflow in the front during dyno?
I wasn't there at the time so that was my question out to Paul. I asked if the dyno guys had the hood opened and a fan going. For all I know it was closed, no fan, and the AC was going. One could hope, right?

Last edited by xSumDumGuy; 07-14-16 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 03:21 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Yea Lou's run with his unequal length headers and exhaust made around 390ish but like you said the temps were about 20-30 degrees cooler....... so? You might not get accurate or close to par numbers until you dyno in like conditions?
Old 07-14-16, 03:39 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

I don't have any tune at the moment. Waiting for a custom tune option in the future.

I'll have to buy one of the cables then get tech stream as I don't have either at the moment. The car only has 23k miles so I can't imagine the plugs are all that bad, but other than the throttle body (I

guess KCLV could be an issue) or plugs I can't think of why the numbers are so low.
My bad, got confused with IredSF!

With the stock tune, I'd be very surprised if the KCLV values were off
Old 07-14-16, 04:49 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I wouldn't be dyno'ing at any shop that didn't have a climate controlled bay. But that's just me.
Old 07-14-16, 10:13 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

So here are a few clips I took tonight while driving. I can try to do some WOT videos later, but it gives you an idea of how it sounds. Idling is with closed valves at first then I open them. Rest of the clips are opened valves.

Last edited by xSumDumGuy; 07-15-16 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 11:44 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 696 Likes on 612 Posts

So here are a few clips I took tonight while driving. I can try to do some WOT videos later, but it gives you an idea of how it sounds. Idling is with closed valves at first then I open them. Rest of the clips are opened valves.

PPE Shorties & Dual Mode Exhaust
Sounds amazing!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-15-16, 08:11 AM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: Equal-length header sounds