IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Equal-length header sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 08:51 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xSumDumGuy
That's what I was expecting. I'll just post the dyno now. I was extremely shocked, but I have no idea how they were dynoing. Numbers seem extremely low, even with the heat, so i'll have to check my throttle body and plugs.

5th Gear

6th Gear
I wouldn't worry too much, almost guarantee this is too little airflow on test rig. I know from personal experience that this will absolutely cripple your dyno numbers. Three high flow fans are the min (my dyno runs had only one squirrel cage fan and that was pointed at the BOTTOM OF THE CAR, not the intake and my numbers were crap. Took the car out to the track and it ran great in the 1/4 mi. So if anything try to get out to a track to get some real data.
My dyno was very under very similar conditions temps were over 100 and minuscule airflow.

Check your intake temps also. Simon from rr says it invalid to test with intake temps much over 5-10 above ambient. My intake temps on the dyno were over 125 degrees F!

The protection systems on the engine will seriously pull power to keep the engine safe .
Old 07-15-16, 10:14 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
I wouldn't be dyno'ing at any shop that didn't have a climate controlled bay. But that's just me.
I guess you wouldn't be doing a whole lot of dynoing most places then because 99% of dynos aren't in climate controlled bays. I don't think there's a single one in the state of Colorado that is for something other than go-karts or motorcycles.
Old 07-15-16, 10:22 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
I guess you wouldn't be doing a whole lot of dynoing most places then because 99% of dynos aren't in climate controlled bays. I don't think there's a single one in the state of Colorado that is for something other than go-karts or motorcycles.
Climate control is great my imho lack of airflow is the real killer
Old 07-15-16, 11:02 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

xSumDumGuy - What intake is on your ISF?

Lou
Old 07-15-16, 11:22 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
For states that see higher than average temperatures a piece of cal equipment should be controlled. But I work in metrology and temperature is my #1 concern haha.

The local dyno here isn't in a controlled room either. But the temp is easily managed. Maybe no summer dyno's for the hot states? Haha.
Old 07-15-16, 11:24 AM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
xSumDumGuy - What intake is on your ISF?

Lou
The car was 100% stock before the headers/exhaust.
Old 07-15-16, 12:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Maybe, just maybe, the stock intake is not as good as a lot of folks say it is. Temp was probably a factor. But the dynos I have done and that a friend did produced substantially higher results. I have cats and the PPE exhaust with a Takeda intake, my friend has no cats, a JoeZ exhaust and a K&N intake. The dynos on all 3 ISFs were all done on the SAME, yes I mean the very SAME dyno.

Lou
Old 07-15-16, 12:48 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by flowrider
Maybe, just maybe, the stock intake is not as good as a lot of folks say it is. Temp was probably a factor. But the dynos I have done and that a friend did produced substantially higher results. I have cats and the PPE exhaust with a Takeda intake, my friend has no cats, a JoeZ exhaust and a K&N intake. The dynos on all 3 ISFs were all done on the SAME, yes I mean the very SAME dyno.

Lou
My first thought after seeing the numbers was if the hood was opened and a fan running for airflow. However, if it was opened and they did have a fan blowing then I thought perhaps my plugs were bad, but again I only have 23k miles. I will probably re-dyno this winter using the procedures everyone says to follow.

I will eventually get the RR Racing intake, but for now i'm waiting until there are some more tuning options.
Old 07-15-16, 04:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Yes, that place opens the hood and there is a fan blowing. But, the bay is outdoors and not at all temp. controlled. And - It's pretty darn hot here right now.

Lou
Old 08-17-16, 03:46 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

So I did have an exhaust leak as well, so I don't know how much that would have contributed to those dyno numbers. I plan on re-dynoing again this winter out of curiosity.
Old 08-17-16, 07:07 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You will make more power due to the denser air, period.
Old 08-17-16, 08:24 PM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

I'm aware.
Old 08-19-16, 09:01 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

some sounds from Pit Rally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PZl3KJ1wIg&feature=youtu.be
https://youtu.be/6PZl3KJ1wIg
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-19-16, 10:05 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Sounds so gnarly
Old 08-19-16, 11:36 AM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

UFFF that Exhaust sound is addicting

Quick Reply: Equal-length header sounds