IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Equal-length header sounds

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 02:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
You will make more power due to the denser air, period.
Tell me about it . When I drive from az to LA and my cars gets that cool 65 degree air and feels like it has 50 more horses
Old 08-19-16, 07:55 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some more sounds

Old 08-19-16, 07:57 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Old 08-19-16, 10:41 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

IredSF, can you elaborate more on the setup? The QES drones loudly at low rpms. How did the sound inside the cabin change? Is it louder? Does it drone more or less? How does the exhaust note sound now? I heard a little rasp, it still sounds bad ***! And it looks like it pulls harder. Also, on the install! Did you have to modify anything to the exhaust? For it to bolt up. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-16, 12:14 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

​^​^​^​^As I said in this thread that I started:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-headers.html

The resonance changes when going from UEL to EL headers. In addition to PPE Long Tube EL Headers I have the PPE Dual Mod Exhaust. When I had my UEL headers, there was much more drone (from 1800 to 2200) RPM than I have now. I couldn't use bluetooth with my cell phone with the exhaust open. It was just to loud in the cabin. With the EL, I leave my exhaust open 99% of the time now. I can use my phone just fine now with the exhaust open while cruising. Cabin noise and drone is way down from the UEL header

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 08-20-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 04:38 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

I appreciate the response Lou. I definitely read the beginning of the thread you started. The reason I asked IredSF those questions specifically is due to the fact I own a QES myself. I'm aware you own the PPE system. Based on your results and report, is it safe to say I can expect near that 99% drone free results as well?
Old 08-20-16, 05:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

^^^^While there is still drone, it is not intruding as it was for me with the UEL headers. When you open up intake and exhaust, some drone will always enter the picture. 99% drone free, I don't know about that. But, the minimal drone I now have with my exhaust set on open, is very livable IMO.

Lou
Old 08-20-16, 08:41 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I appreciate the response Lou. I definitely read the beginning of the thread you started. The reason I asked IredSF those questions specifically is due to the fact I own a QES myself. I'm aware you own the PPE system. Based on your results and report, is it safe to say I can expect near that 99% drone free results as well?
hard to answer because... Well long story.

first sorry to take so long to respond but been stuck in CEL hell.

let me start by saying I've been having a ton of issues since install and the cars only been back for two days, so I'll give you my observations then tell u the story ( you can read the story after if you want).

so I finally picked up the car after several delays. It fired right up no cel (at the time) . Unusual it's how I'd describe first experience after start-up. First things I'm saying to myself are "where's the vibration ? Where's the resonance? God, why is it so quiet?". Well the answer was the lack of drone . And that was the experience of my first drive NOTABLE FOR the absence of drone. At this point I'm having thoughts like "man I won't have to turn up volume nearly as much." It was downright CONSPICUIOIUS the drone was gone for all intents and purposes, I had to roll down the windows to hear the car better!

then I start thrown CEL codes, cars hesitating , misfiring , flashing CEL at this point.

so pull over and reset ECU , happens again. Intake temps are soaring like 153 degrees , arghh!
Park the car after limp home.

at this point I don't know if the car is broken or just not working right.

reset ECU in the morning same thing. Let it set again and try one more time later in the day.

baby it but notice intake temps seem to have dropped.

i think I had a header gasket leak that seems to have resolved by it self (is that possible ? Does that happen?)

anyway something seems to have changed. Not sure if something shifted broke loose or what but it now seems to have gone back to before resonance seems to have come back. Vibration and drone back too. Can't tell if it's psychosomatic or the cars broke or I'm just hearing things.

at this point I CAN say that the car before all the codes thrown was resonance and drone free and does not appear to be so now. Why? I can can't say. Is something broken, not sorted, is there a leak, did something shift after initial install. Don't know.

car now is running better thankfully but still not right it seems.
If anyone has advice or experience from a previous header install I'd appreciate any feedback or experiences. From how fast and how high the intake temps were going up I'm almost certain there was some kind of gasket leak from the install. But now it seems to have spontaneously gone away?

im including screen shots of the codes, if anyone has some advice
I'd love to hear it before I have to contact the installer to fix what ever the is on Monday.

Old 08-20-16, 10:04 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks IredSF for posting multiple soundclips of your equal length short tube header / ISS Forged exhaust setup. The sound is amazing. I assume you created the videos before the car started throwing codes & misfiring?

The cel seems to indicate O2 sensor issues. Did you have PPE simulators installed along with the headers? From what I understand about the install, there's additional wiring harnesses for the simulators that need to be properly routed & secured so that they don't come into contact with the headers. As you had great results for a short time before things went bad, I'd bet your problem is the result of a faulty installation that let the wires come into contact with hot pipes.

Greatness is rarely achieved without hardship. Keep us posted on how you get this resolved.

Old 08-20-16, 10:19 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Default Underpass

Originally Posted by tas02
Thanks IredSF for posting multiple soundclips of your equal length short tube header / ISS Forged exhaust setup. The sound is amazing. I assume you created the videos before the car started throwing codes & misfiring?

The cel seems to indicate O2 sensor issues. Did you have PPE simulators installed along with the headers? From what I understand about the install, there's additional wiring harnesses for the simulators that need to be properly routed & secured so that they don't come into contact with the headers. As you had great results for a short time before things went bad, I'd bet your problem is the result of a faulty installation that let the wires come into contact with hot pipes.

Greatness is rarely achieved without hardship. Keep us posted on how you get this resolved.
yeah vids b4 issues

had o2 sims installed along with headers

stangest darn thing. Sure I had a leak at some point intake temps were insane and would rise instantaneously (0-153 in seconds)

now im back at normalish temps 20-30 idling at a stop
10-15 above ambient when under way.

wierd as heck

anyone know how you can get a transient exhaust gasket leak that cures itself after a while?

anyway I'll keep you guys posted.

As for the resonance I think something must have shifted and is making contact somewhere at the rear exit at bumper.

agree with previous posters observation about el headers being a drone killer, when it was working right at the beginning it was SPOOKY the lack of resonance .

felt unnerving like something was missing.

anyway keep fingers crossed

two starts in a row no cel, hope it stays that way.

put in two underpass vids too.

Old 08-20-16, 10:43 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear there's no more cels.

Wide open throttle runs definitely make things move around. Once the installer gets the car back on the lift, the cause of the resonance should be obvious.

Fingers crossed. Would love to hear & view a youtube of a 2000 rpm steady state cruise.

Old 08-21-16, 06:37 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Thanks Lou and Thanks IredSF. Very interesting read! I'm curious about what has caused the issue. I look forward to your findings.
Old 08-21-16, 06:17 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tas02
Glad to hear there's no more cels.

Wide open throttle runs definitely make things move around. Once the installer gets the car back on the lift, the cause of the resonance should be obvious.

Fingers crossed. Would love to hear & view a youtube of a 2000 rpm steady state cruise.
Old 08-21-16, 06:19 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IredSF
long version

Old 08-21-16, 06:40 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks IredSF for the 2k rpm soundclips, you da man.

Much less drone than the unequal length setup now on my car.

Quick Reply: Equal-length header sounds