IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF makes loud noise on start up after stock intake installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 10:25 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default ISF makes loud noise on start up after stock intake installed

I purchased the car with Takeda intake installed at 28k miles and have had the car for one year now with 38k miles. I just installed my stock intake back into the car with aFe filter and now the car emits a loud ticking noise on cold start ups. I've only driven it twice since I installed the stock intake this past Tuesday. I keep forgetting to record the start up but it goes away immediately after 2-3 seconds and it sounds like it's coming from the rear and not the front but I could be wrong. Any clue to whats causing the noise? I've never heard it in 10k miles that I've put in the car. The car also drives normal, no weird sounds or issues.

Last edited by F Monster; 07-15-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 11:09 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

its a hairline fracture in the passenger side exhaust manifold, if your car is still under warranty lexus will take care of it.

they will need your car over night, the ticking noise stops because the manifold heats up and will seal the crack, but the noise will be guaranteed on a cold start.

my 2012 had the exact same issue and its known to go bad on these cars.
Old 07-15-16, 11:47 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gravesg
its a hairline fracture in the passenger side exhaust manifold, if your car is still under warranty lexus will take care of it.

they will need your car over night, the ticking noise stops because the manifold heats up and will seal the crack, but the noise will be guaranteed on a cold start.

my 2012 had the exact same issue and its known to go bad on these cars.
Hmm my car isn't under warranty, it sucks that it just started happening right after I installed my intake? If that's the case I gotta install my headers sooner than expected. Can I still drive my car in this condition until October? Gonna visit the Pomona shop to get my headers installed.

Last edited by F Monster; 07-15-16 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Hey Guy

Graves diagnostic sounds correct, but I would expect the sound to not go away. But, yes you can drive it.

GET THOSE HEADERS ON

I have a Takeda, and it's not going anywhere. I just replaced the filter element with the new updated one.

And, as far as warranty goes, I would expect that to be an emissions warranty issue. The federal emissions warranty is:

The Federal Emissions Warranty can cover emissions related component repairs for vehicles up to 8 years old or up to 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. The Federal Emission Warranty offers both a Performance Warranty and a Design and Defect warranty.
Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-15-16 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:41 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
Hey Guy

Graves diagnostic sounds correct, but I would expect the sound to not go away. But, yes you can drive it.

GET THOSE HEADERS ON

I have a Takeda, and it's not going anywhere. I just replaced the filter element with the new updated one.

And, as far as warranty goes, I would expect that to be an emissions warranty issue. The federal emissions warranty is:

Lou
only thing i'll add is, as far as driving it, it happend right after i bought my 2012 .. i put 20K on it still ... i wouldnt worry too much about it .. its just super annoying in the morning for me.
Old 07-15-16, 12:51 PM
sedition
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Post a video to make sure. It's tough to say without hearing it.
Old 07-15-16, 08:11 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
Hey Guy

GET THOSE HEADERS ON

Lou
Sweet! Thanks for the info Lou! Always been super helpful. Reason why I've been holding off is I'm waiting for October since I'm gonna go to Cali and possibly sell my headers to my friend for the same price since I want a newer gen header. The dipstick thing annoys me but we'll see. Lol.

only thing i'll add is, as far as driving it, it happend right after i bought my 2012 .. i put 20K on it still ... i wouldnt worry too much about it .. its just super annoying in the morning for me.
Sounds good, did you ever get it repaired?

Originally Posted by sedition
Post a video to make sure. It's tough to say without hearing it.
Yeah I'll probably get a clip tomorrow morning when I start it up.
Old 07-15-16, 08:40 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

youre probably still under warranty its powertrain is 6 years up to 70k miles . or 4 years 50k miles for bumper to bumper
Old 07-15-16, 11:46 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Will it only get worse over time or is it something that can be left for a while till I'm ready to get headers on? Mine is making the ticking noise for sure, though i do still get it after the car is already warm.
Old 07-16-16, 10:58 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Snow
Sweet! Thanks for the info Lou! Always been super helpful. Reason why I've been holding off is I'm waiting for October since I'm gonna go to Cali and possibly sell my headers to my friend for the same price since I want a newer gen header. The dipstick thing annoys me but we'll see. Lol.

Sounds good, did you ever get it repaired?

Yeah I'll probably get a clip tomorrow morning when I start it up.

yup i got it repaired, they took 2 days to diagnoise and repair .. and they had to give me a new 02 sensor since the tech couldn't pull out the old seized one.

while i did put 20k on mines .. i did start hearing in drive thru's while getting food.

this was at the tail end of it being bad
Old 07-17-16, 05:14 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

yup i got it repaired, they took 2 days to diagnoise and repair .. and they had to give me a new 02 sensor since the tech couldn't pull out the old seized one.

while i did put 20k on mines .. i did start hearing in drive thru's while getting food.

this was at the tail end of it being bad
If it's ticking even when the engine is warm should it be an immediate fix? Debating doing it now or holding off a few more months till I'm ready to do headers if it's not urgent. Thanks, help on this would be much appreciated
Old 07-18-16, 12:52 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

So I've been trying to replicate the noise for the past couple days and it seems that it has went away. I will still go to Lexus to get it replaced or at least looked at.
Old 07-18-16, 11:31 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Tried to take a video of mine but you can't really hear it over the borla/bazooka in video, at least not on an iPhone... like I said some input would be great since I'm kind of torn about this.