Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 01:19 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Ya, I did. I had no idea who the heck she was

Lou

LOL. I'm laughing entirely too much at this.
Old 08-05-16, 01:21 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Possibly.. But whatever the reason, I'm glad it sold the way it did. Makes the car that more special knowing there are only a little over 5, 000 of them out there
I think one of the main reasons is because it didn't come in a manual.
Old 08-06-16, 05:20 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RADNESS+RARITY+RELIABILITY=ISF!!! MOTHER Fers!!!
Old 08-06-16, 10:43 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Just today alone I met 3 people who didn't know this car has a V8.

The first person was a man in a CLS-550 who honked at me, then when I took a turn onto another road, I opened it up. He started falling behind, and then took a swift right into a plaza. (he took a shortcut to some breakfast place)

I entered the plaza and now I was behind him.....guy drove like a total asshat, but the best part is when he parked and got out of his car. I stopped to talk to him and he said he didn't understand how I put the distance on him. I told him it's a V8.........."Oh I didn't know they made them like that". Classic.

Onto the Coffee and Cars show............more people not knowing jack about this car, even an Evo 9 owner...........Camaro owners.......zzzzz...zzzz...zzzz.......

There was a red 1998 Supra single Turbo next to me, so it got all the attention in the world. Even the police didn't pay any attention to the car.

To sum it up, this car is NOT known, this car is a surprise......."they don't see it coming".
Old 08-07-16, 10:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

My chiropractor saw my car on my Facebook page and asked me to bring it in during my appointment . I started the car up, he took a look at it , and then later that evening told me he is now looking for a GSF . Pretty cool . I told him how rare and special these cars are and he was sold . I hope he fits. He is 7'2 . ( he is the worlds tallest Chripractor . Used to play pro ball in Germany . )
Old 08-07-16, 10:46 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
My chiropractor saw my car on my Facebook page and asked me to bring it in during my appointment . I started the car up, he took a look at it , and then later that evening told me he is now looking for a GSF . Pretty cool . I told him how rare and special these cars are and he was sold . I hope he fits. He is 7'2 . ( he is the worlds tallest Chripractor . Used to play pro ball in Germany . )
Yeah I doubt the ISF would work out for him very well at that height. As I'm sure most cars in general would be a tight fit for him lol. I think if anything he's right in trying to get a GSF but I'm sure even that will feel small?
Old 08-07-16, 08:16 PM
jv12
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at and test drove about 15 cars, including the M3, M235i, and the MB C63AMG coupe before I settled on the ISF.

Here's why I plunked down my $$ on the ISF:

It's got serious performance with Lexus reliability and quality... and it's a hellva lot of fun to drive. What other car in that price range is super sporty, is RWD, has a naturally aspirated V-8, 400+HP, AND is reliable? My research kept pointing to the ISF and I squealed like a little girl when I drove it! I also like that it's a little bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing. It is so not what it appears to be.

Last edited by jv12; 08-07-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 09:19 AM
charles79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 Lexus is250!! What does the A/V mean in the controls??
Old 08-18-16, 09:24 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by charles79
I have a 2015 Lexus is250!! What does the A/V mean in the controls??
Sorry but if your looking for an answer for that question you gotta make a new thread and then be sure to post it in the right area. This section is for the ISF (2008-2014) not the F sport and not the newer 3rd generation IS. Also what you wrote is completely off topic.. Please try to follow the guidelines and help keep the forum organized. Hope you find your answer!
Old 08-18-16, 09:27 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Since this thread has been bumped back to the top I wanna add something. Another reason (or really to add to an existing reason) of why it's so special is that even Lexus owners don't know what an ISF is! Lol. Its always funny to read a post in the ISF section about some one looking for help with their F sport I guess the F is so rare, maybe even Lexus doesn't know it exists lol.
Old 08-18-16, 09:32 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Since this thread has been bumped back to the top I wanna add something. Another reason (or really to add to an existing reason) of why it's so special is that even Lexus owners don't know what an ISF is! Lol. Its always funny to read a post in the ISF section about some one looking for help with their F sport I guess the F is so rare, maybe even Lexus doesn't know it exists lol.
It would help if they would put beside the MYs in parenthesis for the sub forum IS500.
Old 08-18-16, 09:37 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
It would help if they would put beside the MYs in parenthesis for the sub forum IS500.
Well I mean, there is a section of Club Lexus for site suggestions and improvements. Maybe we should tell them to add that on the side? Lol. Or better yet just have it say "ISF 2008-2014 (the V8 one)" lol.
Old 08-18-16, 10:07 AM
DarthChu
Driver School Candidate

Default why the F is special

Its rare reliable 4 door family car. comfortable and performance. inexpensive cost of ownership versus the germans.

can track if if you like.

Works for me and the family.

Old 07-12-21, 10:15 AM
ecowarrior
Driver School Candidate

I had both the IS F and the Q50 Red Sport 400. Both had plenty of power. The Lexus sounds better stock as it's a V8. Stock neither sounds particularly good, especially compared to the Germans or Alfa. The Infiniti has bonus of avail AWD. This is huge. I had the RWD version and just dropping the accelerator I'd light up the tires easily - something I didn't necessarily like. The Infinity feels noticably faster too -the turbos def have a big role here. The Infiniti is easier (and much cheaper) to tune for significant power gains. The options will only increase when the Nissan 400 Z drops in the coming months. For big gains with the Lexus you have to bolt on a SC or something and here in Cali you'd never pass smog and the cost (~$10k, YMMV) is a lot of effort to take off and on.

Both are dated tech but I like the top down view in the Infiniti, touch screen (but kinda slow) as well. Our Lexus didn't even have OEM BT audio. We bought the Grom Audio aftermarket to help here. Both interiors also feel quite dated. You can't even get cooled seats in either AFAIK.

The Lexus IS 500 will solve some of these but the powertrain is now like 13 years old, at least.

The biggest issue I have with both are their transmissions. Both are pretty slow shifting. I ended up going to Audi's which are massively tunable, the dual clutch gives lightning quick shifts - but the cost of ownership/ repairs is significantly higher.

TL;DR: If you want rare the IS F is your pick, hands down. If you want tunability Red Sport all day. If you want actual speed - look elsewhere. The transmissions will discourage, especially compared to the Mercs, Audis and BMWs. I think people considering either of these should also consider the Genesis G70 3.3T that also has a twin turbo.

Old 07-12-21, 02:09 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ecowarrior
I had both the IS F and the Q50 Red Sport 400. Both had plenty of power. The Lexus sounds better stock as it's a V8. Stock neither sounds particularly good, especially compared to the Germans or Alfa. The Infiniti has bonus of avail AWD. This is huge. I had the RWD version and just dropping the accelerator I'd light up the tires easily - something I didn't necessarily like. The Infinity feels noticably faster too -the turbos def have a big role here. The Infiniti is easier (and much cheaper) to tune for significant power gains. The options will only increase when the Nissan 400 Z drops in the coming months. For big gains with the Lexus you have to bolt on a SC or something and here in Cali you'd never pass smog and the cost (~$10k, YMMV) is a lot of effort to take off and on.

Both are dated tech but I like the top down view in the Infiniti, touch screen (but kinda slow) as well. Our Lexus didn't even have OEM BT audio. We bought the Grom Audio aftermarket to help here. Both interiors also feel quite dated. You can't even get cooled seats in either AFAIK.

The Lexus IS 500 will solve some of these but the powertrain is now like 13 years old, at least.

The biggest issue I have with both are their transmissions. Both are pretty slow shifting. I ended up going to Audi's which are massively tunable, the dual clutch gives lightning quick shifts - but the cost of ownership/ repairs is significantly higher.

TL;DR: If you want rare the IS F is your pick, hands down. If you want tunability Red Sport all day. If you want actual speed - look elsewhere. The transmissions will discourage, especially compared to the Mercs, Audis and BMWs. I think people considering either of these should also consider the Genesis G70 3.3T that also has a twin turbo.
Alot of newer performance Audi have gone back to torque converter auto trans just like the ISF already had, granted newer/more up to date ones, but still. Having had a M3 with DCT, its not that special. If anything, its more finnicky and drives stupid when its cold until it warms up. Only real advantage is downshifts and that's about it, considering BMW already had a headstart in performance based trans, i don't think Lexus did that bad considering

That's what made the ISF special, Lexus first real turn up at bat in that class and they got most of it right and most F cars are still running til this day. Cant say that about the mass produced German competitors in that class. Having owned an M3 with all the fixens i ran back to Lexus after 18 months of ownership and I didn't look back
The following users liked this post:
ChpEng (07-12-21)

Quick Reply: To you, what makes the ISF special?