IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

To you, what makes the ISF special?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 10:23 AM
mjscott1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What makes the F special to me is that on the track in stock form it’s 95% BMW M3, 98% BMW M3 with a full cat delete and tune, 99% Toyota, and all at a fraction of the cost of the BMW M3. Then with a few suspension mods it’s 98% Corvette, 911, GT4, but with Toyota reliability, and still at a fraction of the cost. All my buddies are in amazement and constantly making upgrades between repairs to try to out perform what they call “the grocery getter on steroids “.

The funny part is the steroids are still pending. I can only imagine what this thing is going to do when I get the OSG installed; stand by.

Then if I really put this thing on illegal drugs and upgrade it with a super charger, now that would really be something special?!

The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (07-19-21)
Old 07-17-21, 11:27 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I didn’t realize you were passing that lambo with an open diff. That’s pretty special, indeed.
Old 07-17-21, 01:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I didn’t realize you were passing that lambo with an open diff. That’s pretty special, indeed.
It's not really an open diff. If it were, the car would be undriveable. Try the pedal dance and see what happens when you try to exit a high G turn... the eLSD isn't all bad, it's just nowhere near as good as the Giken spool.
Old 07-18-21, 12:50 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I think he has a later model with the Torsen diff.
Old 07-18-21, 01:06 PM
mjscott1
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2103 with the Torsen right now. I’m told the OSG will make the Torsen feel like it was an open. I can’t wait to find out!

and Shame on that guy for having more money than me and bringing his Lambo on the track while mine was on the track as well. By that I mean, I’m impressed that he even put that car on a track and actually tried to push it hard. I assume a better driver would have produced a different result. I don’t know how old that Lambo was but I’m sure my ISF should have new been able to beat it. The more I track the more I realize the driver makes the real difference...

That rich guy actually had just purchased the very first Toyota Supra that was delivered in his state. Then he had the new Supra and the Lambo transported to the track. He flew his son in, from college I think. Then he flew in. They beat those car up for the weekend. Then I think he gave his son the Supra. Rich guys have all the fun!
Old 07-18-21, 01:10 PM
mjscott1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's not really an open diff. If it were, the car would be undriveable. Try the pedal dance and see what happens when you try to exit a high G turn... the eLSD isn't all bad, it's just nowhere near as good as the Giken spool.
Is it true, the pedal dance is not necessary for my 2013? I’ve done it both ways and I can’t tell a difference, but I read the pedal dance is the only way to truly remove all the nannies. Then I also read that even with the pedal dance there are a few nannies still left on?

it sure would be more convenient to just hold the traction control off button…
Old 07-18-21, 01:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

The pedal dance is the only way to remove the eLSD along with almost all the other nannies. You still have ABS, EBFD, and brake assist, but nothing else. ABS is questionable as soon as you start running race pads and stickier tires (I have been able to lock my wheels with Project Mu HC+800 pads), EBFD is essential unless you want to re-engineer the brake system with a proportioning valve you can control yourself, and brake assist is utterly useless to anyone capable of generating 80 pounds of force with your braking leg. Don't get me wrong, all of these things are very helpful for the general public, but if you've done the things I've done and learned proper threshold braking, they're all just a little annoying at times. FWIW, I used to practice locking up the front wheel on my race bikes on a regular basis so I would respond without hesitation when the front wheel locked and not fall down. Bikes are a lot more unforgiving when you lock a wheel, especially the front. When I went through Motorcycle Safety Foundation Instructor School, I was able to stop my 500 pound FJ1100 in 13 feet from 25 mph consistently on street tires. I have a pretty good feel for lockup.
Old 07-19-21, 10:43 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by mjscott1
I have a 2103 with the Torsen right now. I’m told the OSG will make the Torsen feel like it was an open. I can’t wait to find out!

and Shame on that guy for having more money than me and bringing his Lambo on the track while mine was on the track as well. By that I mean, I’m impressed that he even put that car on a track and actually tried to push it hard. I assume a better driver would have produced a different result. I don’t know how old that Lambo was but I’m sure my ISF should have new been able to beat it. The more I track the more I realize the driver makes the real difference...

That rich guy actually had just purchased the very first Toyota Supra that was delivered in his state. Then he had the new Supra and the Lambo transported to the track. He flew his son in, from college I think. Then he flew in. They beat those car up for the weekend. Then I think he gave his son the Supra. Rich guys have all the fun!
The ISF is well sorted enough and powerful enough with headers, exhaust, GOOD suspension and wheels / tires - that it performs at such a level that the driver really makes the biggest difference. Someone with double the horsepower will not run double the time. Honestly, they may even have to work harder to run the same times since our cars put power down so well. I’ve talked to a lot of our members that track, and they all say stuff like “I rarely get passed”… “I usually pass 911 GT3s”, etc.

There are definitely superior cars out there, but if you can drive well, the ISF is very capable. So much so that I’ve been surprised by what some of our members have reported.

Throw me behind the wheel, and you will see the battle of your life between me and the average 2000s civic SI 🤣.