IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

should i trade my mercedes for a lexus isf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 01:03 AM
isfonline
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i trade my mercedes for a lexus isf?

I been driving a mercedes 2014 cls550 mercedes for a few months now, should I trade in my car for a 2008-14 lexus isf? a 2008 model with 100k would be less if i trade it in. A 2014 would cost more.
would my insurance go down?

Last edited by isfonline; 08-02-16 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 02:14 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I've never driven a CLS550 but I have a friend with one. My wife was crazy for me to get that car. It's a very classy looking car. But I made it clear the ISF is what I feel comfortable in and it's more me, so to speak. The little I looked into the CLS550 their pretty stout cars, not to be underestimated. I think it makes more hp/ torque than the F. It is much heavier than the F, which in theory should make the F feel more nimble. The Germans definitely got the upper hand in terms of modding and tunning. But these two cars are in a different playing field. You'll end up loosing a lot of your luxury creature comforts that come with your type of car. We have a GLK350 (the wife's) her car has access to change so many features through the steering wheel. Which you can view through the odometer digital screen. I was amazed! Even the damn stock sound system has various intricate controls. Here I thought bass mid treble was everything that was needed. In terms of maintenance, you'll definitely be saving a lot of money with the F. The F isn't a real needy car when it comes to having it run properly. It's very reasonable at best! Insurance should be less if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-02-16, 04:57 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by isfonline
would my insurance go down?
Would be a good idea to get a quote from your insurance provider.
Old 08-02-16, 05:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The CLS550 and ISF aren't really comparable in my opinion.... the C63 is a more direct competitor to the F.

If you are looking for something smaller, sportier, not so luxurious, then perhaps the F is a good move for you. We recently worked on a CLS63 AMG and it was BIG, super smooth, and very luxurious. A very different feel compared to the ISF.
Old 08-02-16, 05:55 AM
babyzilla
Rookie

As you know insurance varies from person to person considering all kinds of variables. I would assume, however, your insurance would be similar to what you're paying right now. Anyways, to answers your question - yes. Yes, you should trade for an ISF. I'm sure you'll be happier what the money you save on basic maintenance as well. Not to mention the car is just bad a$$ and IMO looks better. Good luck!
Old 08-02-16, 06:13 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In general way, no you shouldn't trade it in unless you are going to track the car. You will feel every bumps on the imperfect road than in a mercedes on the ride. I would assume most of ppl here would tell to trade it with F, you are in a ISF forum however. In my opinion, if you plan to keep the car I would trade it for reliability concerns. I have family and friends who owns mercedes and their annual maintenance cost is from $4k to $6k after their 50k mileage factor warranty.
Old 08-02-16, 06:18 AM
babyzilla
Rookie

Originally Posted by zen
In general way, no you shouldn't trade it in unless you are going to track the car. You will feel every bumps on the imperfect road than in a mercedes on the ride. I would assume most of ppl here would tell to trade it with F, you are in a ISF forum however. In my opinion, if you plan to keep the car I would trade it for reliability concerns. I have family and friends who owns mercedes and their annual maintenance cost is from $4k to $6k after their 50k mileage factor warranty.
I'm not saying I disagree with you about the ride comfort, however, I personally would think anyone interested in the ISF would know what they're getting into. Also, just because it's a sports sedan doesn't mean it can only be used for the track - I don't understand why a lot of people say that. Also, it's important to keep in mind Lexus improved the suspension on 2011 models and up. Either way, you do have a point the OP should consider.
Old 08-02-16, 07:44 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
The little I looked into the CLS550 their pretty stout cars, not to be underestimated. I think it makes more hp/ torque than the F.
Regular CLS550 makes low 400hp/440tq. The AMG makes 577hp/590tq. I'm pretty sure I got rocked by a run of the mill CLS550 last year, but I'll pretend it was the AMG to feel better.
Old 08-02-16, 09:15 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

Thats a tough choice.. I love the CLS550.. That engine is powerful and sounds great.. Very nice looking car too..

I'd only make the switch if you are worried about reliability.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-02-16, 09:19 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Stick with the CLS.
Old 08-02-16, 09:37 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus & the Is-F forum.

The CLS is a great car with superlative looks & performance, especially in the AMG version.

Have you had the opportunity to drive an Is-F?
Old 08-02-16, 10:08 AM
isfonline
Driver School Candidate

i havent drove one yet but i watched videos of it. I would be losing a lot on my down payment for a trade in. As far as maintenance goes I spent alot on oil and other changes already. No warranty over 60k. I am tired of the eco button every time I drive I need to push the sport mode. maybe the isf doesnt have this? I dont exactly need a lot of luxury.
Old 08-02-16, 11:08 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

trade it, Mercedes reliability sucks and it will depreciate really fast compared to lexus
Old 08-02-16, 11:09 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The Isf also requires that you push a button to get it into sport mode. And I push a 2nd button to engage an aftermarket throttle controller. How inconvenient.

Old 08-02-16, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Yesssssssssss

Quick Reply: should i trade my mercedes for a lexus isf?