IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Question to those with contrasting spoilers and diffusers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 05:51 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Question to those with contrasting spoilers and diffusers

I've got a 2011 Mercury Metallic and I've got a front lip spoiler and roof spoiler sitting in my basement and am planning to go with the S4play diffuser.

Question for those of you with contrasting (i.e. Black or carbon fiber aero pieces): it's hard to tell in a lot of pictures whether they are painted black, black wrapped or are carbon fiber (wrapped or other).

My original thought was to have all of these parts painted obsidian black. Is this going to look ok?

Does Obsidian black have any blue in it? I don't want any blue in the black paint and if it does, I'll likely just ask the body shop to paint it a true black. Should these parts be flat or gloss black?

I see the S4play now comes in carbon fiber--would it look odd to have this in cf and everything else painted black. Did you paint your S4play diffusers?

Ugh. I appreciate any advice/experience you guys can share here.
Old 08-02-16, 09:53 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There is no hint of blue in Obsidian at all. I almost wish it had more depth and a mica look, such as Stargazer Black.

That was one dilemma I had with my Obsidian F. All I have is the WALD rear spoiler in CF, with my other parts being all black. I go back and forth thinking I need to add some more CF parts, but I haven't been set on other pieces as of yet.

My advice- if the part came as CF, I say leave it exposed. If it was chipped or the CF weave was somehow compromised, then I would say paint it either gloss or matte black. With Mercury Metallic, you really can't go wrong with either because it is such a contrast to the silver paint to begin with.

Best of luck to you and have fun with it. As long as you like it in the end, that's all that really matters.
Old 08-02-16, 10:13 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With a mercury metallic another option could be doing it in the same silver cf that comes on the interior, was thinking of trying it just on the decklid spoiler, not sure how it would work on the front lip though.
Old 08-03-16, 12:41 AM
BluStreak1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a damaged Arkym diffuser and had it painted the same grey as the stock wheels....I like the contrast.
Old 08-03-16, 03:44 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Thanks guys. Good to know about the Obsidian bc I can then easily give them the paint code for the pieces.

None of the pieces are cf to begin with, so I'm thinking to paint them all the same color--I think on a MM a mix of cf and black parts might look mismatched.

Bluestreak--the grey color looks great. What color is your rear window spoiler? Do you have a chin spoiler and if so what color? The dark gray sounds like another great option that is a bit less contrast than stark black. You don't know a paint code for that color by chance do you?

Old 08-03-16, 03:59 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Do you think Smoky Granite Mica would be a good match to paint the parts? That seems like a very dark gray in the OEM color family.

I'm now seriously thinking that the dark gray is the way to go. Not as drastic as black.

Any more opinions???
Old 08-03-16, 06:58 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2011 F is SGM. I really like the color! It has some metal flake in it and it really shows under sunlight after a wash/wax.
Old 08-03-16, 10:10 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

trust me, your color is a perfect for carbon fiber additions check out my thread lolz :P
Old 08-03-16, 12:23 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Yeah your color looks really good with CF additions.. I would go full CF body kit if I were you!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-03-16, 02:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm still wondering what the cf kit will look like with an MRM F. There are some pics online that look great but I think it's really going to pop in person
Attached Thumbnails Question to those with contrasting spoilers and diffusers-photo783.jpg   Question to those with contrasting spoilers and diffusers-photo331.jpg   Question to those with contrasting spoilers and diffusers-photo337.jpg  
Old 08-03-16, 02:42 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

The CF on my Toms rear diffuser and Lexon rep lip is very subtle, you need to get pretty close to realize it is CF...

I think the contrasting (whether CF or black) looks great.
Old 08-03-16, 03:01 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

still waiting for my Tom's rear diffuser...keeps getting delayed
Old 08-03-16, 03:27 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Go with Carbon fiber
Attached Thumbnails Question to those with contrasting spoilers and diffusers-image-2679483005.jpg   Question to those with contrasting spoilers and diffusers-image-997286189.jpg  
Old 08-03-16, 03:43 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Here's my concern with the CF route:

I ordered the A Style front lip and the rear window spoiler off of EBay and both come unpainted. (Believe me, I've never put cheap parts on my cars before, but both of these are actually far better quality than I would have guessed for less than $200, and my friend owns a body shop so I know he could make them work if they took any massaging--which it doesn't appear they will).

Now, that leaves the diffuser, which I think I'm going to do the S4play--this is the only part of the bunch that is even available in cf.

Then that leaves my OEM spoiler and what to do with that if I went the cf route.

So, I'm thinking to just match them all with a really dark gray, which as Vervish said you probably couldn't even tell if it was cf or paint from a distance.

How would you even go about putting cf onto the front lip, rear window and OEM spoiler if you wanted to? I feel like if you go the cf route you need to have the actual cf pieces.

Old 08-03-16, 03:46 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Ah, yeah if you've already bought non carbon pieces then just have them all painted to match.

Quick Reply: Question to those with contrasting spoilers and diffusers