IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2016-08-07 - Track Day with TT4C @ NJMP Lightning w/ Videos

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 01:30 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2016-08-07 - Track Day with TT4C @ NJMP Lightning w/ Videos

Anyway, the fun continues, last time when I was out on Lighting was last year with RR Racing event, then I had a few good runs, being constantly blocked by slower drivers is a lot harder to get a good lap time, but I was able to squeeze 1:19.14. This is when I had RR USRS, RR Penske Suspension, RR Oil-Cooler and RR AOS, some other mods were, EBC Yellows, 265x18 Square NT05's.

Today I had few different things added and changed, my rear brake pads were still EBC Yellows as they still had plenty of meat left, fronts I changed for ProjectMU800, flushed all brake fluid with Motul RBF 600, slapped Proxies R888 on, Penske adjusted suspension, Borla Exhaust, RR Racing Tune and more Lightning experience.
  • TT4C (Track Time 4 Cars)
    Very cool guys, a lot of cars and faces I've seen with different clubs, this is more laid back, need to be solo, it's cheap but you don't get any goodies or lunch, although you get 7 sessions. not as organized as NASA or HOD, but it's about having fun. I'll definitely run with them again.
  • Session 1
    Slow, lots of train, renewing my acquaintance with the car, need to dial in the tire temps and pressure and feel her out.
  • Session 2
    Fish tailed out of 1st, came in too fast and caught a bit of green top (Fish Tail @ 6m50s)
  • Session 3, 4, 5
    In the fifth session I hit my best time yet on Lighting - 1:16.97, unfortunately my Android version of Harry's LapTimer is still very buggy and did not turn on GoPro 3 times until I realized that it isn't recording.
  • Session 6
    It was cool, towards the end of the day there were a lot less cars and any car group could run with eachother, but I couldn't pull a better time than in the 5th session, I constantly get 1:17's mid to low, but 1:16 hasn't happened, maybe because the track started cooling.

I had a nice run in with a 2016 BMW M4, guy was probably an instructor, older, experienced, he was from 1st Group as I only saw him in this session, he came out of the pits after I passed 1st corner, not too far couple car lengths back, but I'm pulling away on him, slowly, but pulling. Couple times I thought about being aggressive instead of smooth, so after messing up fewf corners, he would catch up, I started concentrating on line and smoothness and started nicely pulling away on him. Then obviously you hit a non-pointer and obstacles so he would catch up. Everytime he did I would pull away from him.

Guy was cool, as we got off the track, he drove by me and started asking about the car. He also said he thought he'd pass me very quickly, but he overestimated. The Unicorn strikes back!
  • Settings
    Throughout the day I was dialing in my R888's, playing with different pressure levels when I finally liked it in Session 5, then I messed up a front and that might be another reason why 1:16 did not happen in 6th. I started the day with 34 PSI cold and ended up with 38psi hot rear and 40psi hot front.
  • Maintenance
    My AOS filled up 2x, my fuel average was 5.6mpg so almost half a tank per session, the guys at the gas station (on site) were laughing that I go through fuel like Vette guys, Oil temps got high, 2 bars above mid and that's with oil cooler but we had 93F that day and SUN! Coolant hit one bar above mid and I run about 10oz of Water Wetter.
This time Vettes weren't pulling away as before, so maybe perspective, drivers or Vettes were just slow, unless it was the Tune's doing? But the 997's Turbo were definitely pulling away on the straights. In the corners, I haven't seen many cars that would pull away from me, instead I would close in on them during late braking and early throttle. Videos are full of ISF doing what it was meant to do, some user errors, bad lines, too fast, too late braking, not hard enough, but the Videos have some Sensor Data Overlays, should make things more interesting.

Overall I think I need to work on my smoothness, my lines don't look bad?

Project MU? Hoooowly sheeettttt! Love them brakes, but I went through 1/2 of them in just one track day. This is definitely my new brake pad choice!

Last edited by bbong; 08-10-16 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 04:32 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow, nice save from that fishtail! My heartbeat increased just watching :-)

I noticed the exterior of the car is washed out in the video. I previously had that issue with my GoPro, but learned how to correct it with the spot meter function.

I really like the Project Mu HC+800 pads too. With my recently installed RR Racing slotted rotors, the brakes feel awesome on the track.. and absolutely no noise on the street!

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 08-09-16 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 06:31 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Wow, nice save from that fishtail! My heartbeat increased just watching :-)

I noticed the exterior of the car is washed out in the video. I previously had that issue with my GoPro, but learned how to correct it with the spot meter function.

I really like the Project Mu HC+800 pads too. With my recently installed RR Racing slotted rotors, the brakes feel awesome on the track.. and absolutely no noise on the street!

-Mike
That's neat, I'll remember that in the future. Mike you guys coming to the PTT event?
Old 08-10-16, 12:28 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

curious what camera used to record the inside cabin?
Old 08-10-16, 12:52 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
curious what camera used to record the inside cabin?
It's GoPro Hero 4 - Silver edition controlled by Harry's LapTimer. The only reason I had to place it on the rear window is that they did not allow anything attached to the windshield.
Old 08-10-16, 03:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

looking good bud. So are you liking the R888s??? I am very tempted. They dont make them in my sizes but I may go out of spec for the added grip. Are they as noisy on highway as everyone makes them out to be ?

Also the mount on the sunroof will prevent the back lighting issue. If they don't allow it on the windshield just mount to the sunroof
Old 08-10-16, 07:36 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
looking good bud. So are you liking the R888s??? I am very tempted. They dont make them in my sizes but I may go out of spec for the added grip. Are they as noisy on highway as everyone makes them out to be ?

Also the mount on the sunroof will prevent the back lighting issue. If they don't allow it on the windshield just mount to the sunroof
Well, that's my first soft R-Comp and they're just different then Performance Summer, they're not very chatty as RS-3's or NT01/5's but you get used to them quick as long as you don't mess up your lines, they'll have plenty of grip, actually different level of play, from telemetrics I was pulling 1.26g's at times, bowl at Lightning I was taking over 1g all around with plenty of confidence. I noticed a lot of people use them nowadays, cheap and effective and I hear it's not as bad in rain either.

Though I noticed at this performance level it's time for new seats, I'm not a big guy, I need something that'll hug me tight and keep it in place, here I'm all over, I think that'll be my next upgrade over the season.
Old 08-11-16, 04:18 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bbong
Mike you guys coming to the PTT event?
Not sure yet, but that does sound like a great event...

Originally Posted by bbong
Though I noticed at this performance level it's time for new seats, I'm not a big guy, I need something that'll hug me tight and keep it in place, here I'm all over, I think that'll be my next upgrade over the season.
I highly recommend CG Lock as an quick/easy interim solution.. It keeps your rear planted in the seat... Totally worth $60, IMO

-Mike

Old 08-12-16, 07:13 PM
eternallx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Not sure yet, but that does sound like a great event...

I highly recommend CG Lock as an quick/easy interim solution.. It keeps your rear planted in the seat... Totally worth $60, IMO

-Mike

I use this method, Pull seats back, suck in your belly, tighten the belt onto yourself as much as you can and do the quick motion to lock the seat belt, move the seat back to your regular driving position. Power seats FTW!