IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF to GTR to ISF

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 11:19 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tronim
Also would like to note that the maintenance costs on the GTR for things like Brakes are still astronomically insane!
I dont know that this is entirely true. Im seriously considering purchasing a GTR (I'll also keep the ISF). From my research, it seems like maintenance such as brakes has the potential to cost an arm and a leg if you let it. Many of the guys on the forums are saying that you can find good deals on parts then do the work yourself and its not very expensive. Or, there are plenty of shops that do quality work at a fraction of what the dealer charges. I find that the people who are complaining about maintenance cost are the ones that take the car to the dealership for everything. Maybe I'm wrong but this is what my research has shown.
Old 08-16-16, 03:09 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There is another thread on importing from Canada. It wasn't easy and with the added travel expenses and taxes, it almost equals what you would get in the US. It is more of a hassle and kind of scary going through the border because you don't know that you have everything you need. Luckily, I got through everything without issue.
Old 08-16-16, 03:10 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If I was able to modify the GTR, I think it would've been a completely different car. I like the appeal it has and its performance is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. I didn't have to do any maintenance so I can't comment on that.
Old 08-16-16, 03:37 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
charlottesville and sometimes Williamsburg
nicccceeeee
Old 08-16-16, 08:09 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
Just driving the GTR and ISF back to back and the ISF steering is so much more involving, the engine sounds crazy compared to a stock GTR "washing machine" and frankly I like the understated looks of the ISF. At the time I got out of my ISF for around 40k and into the GTR for 63k and it just didn't seem like 20k more car.

I will say that after doing a tune, midpipe (so you could actually hear something resembling an engine noise), and changing the tires to PSS's the car did grow on me. I would get another GTR as it's incredibly capable and i've yet to find another car that gives me the confidence to chuck it into turns at speed but the ISF remains a truly unique, rare, good looking, and reliable car that is a crazy value for under 40k.

Just my .02.
Thanks for the review. Your last statement "...truly unique, rare, good looking, and reliable car that is a crazy value for under 40k." pretty much sums up why I got the ISF.
Old 08-17-16, 05:57 AM
F LIFE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trading in my IS F on Saturday for a GT-R actually. I've owned the IS F for well over four years now and loved every day of it. Hoping to eventually get another one when I can afford a second car. I've just had my heart set on a GT-R for quite some time. I'm trying to talk my best friend into getting an IS F so I can still drive one occasionally. They're both solid cars.

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
I dont know that this is entirely true. Im seriously considering purchasing a GTR (I'll also keep the ISF). From my research, it seems like maintenance such as brakes has the potential to cost an arm and a leg if you let it. Many of the guys on the forums are saying that you can find good deals on parts then do the work yourself and its not very expensive. Or, there are plenty of shops that do quality work at a fraction of what the dealer charges. I find that the people who are complaining about maintenance cost are the ones that take the car to the dealership for everything. Maybe I'm wrong but this is what my research has shown.
People told me the same thing about the IS F. The brakes are so easy to do on your own. And I get the parts at a great price. I'm sure the same can be said for the GT-R too. Many are just too worried to try and do it themselves.
Old 08-17-16, 07:23 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by F LIFE
Trading in my IS F on Saturday for a GT-R actually. I've owned the IS F for well over four years now and loved every day of it. Hoping to eventually get another one when I can afford a second car. I've just had my heart set on a GT-R for quite some time. I'm trying to talk my best friend into getting an IS F so I can still drive one occasionally.
Ive ridden in and driven one of my friends 2009 GTR back when it was stock on the day he brought it home. OMG that thing was fast! I didn't gun it but I didn't even need to in order to understand how effortlessly fast it is! Handling felt amazing too and I was surprised by the ride quality. I truthfully love the GTR, but even then though I still feel like the ISF would be the ideal car for me. I think if there's one thing that slightly annoys me is seeing my car everywhere. And even though I own a IS350 and not a 250, in general the 2IS is quite common and unless you do stuff like I have to my exterior, you blend right in with everyone..

Idk maybe it's just me but that's one of my reasons for wanting an ISF. Compared to the GTR, which I see at every car meet I go to, the ISF is quite rare. I mean shoot at cars and coffee Modesto there's a row of R35 GTR's lol. I'm lucky to see just one F! That speaks a lot to me. Same reason why I don't want a new Camaro SS, Mustang GT, or SRT anything. Sure they are amazing, but damn too common. Not saying the GTR is common necessarily but compared to other supercars it is. And around here in the 209 I see maybe 2 a week and even more if I do car meets. Where as the ISF I see just this one white one occasionally around my town that's owned by some one I went to to church with a while back. Unique indeed!
Old 08-17-16, 07:23 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't be that Nissan employee special lease program would it? My FOM was explaining it to me last time they visited?

Old 08-17-16, 10:00 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Not saying the GTR is common necessarily but compared to other supercars it is. And around here in the 209 I see maybe 2 a week and even more if I do car meets.
I guess I'll say it...GTRs are common as ****. I see about 1-2 a day, and not the same one everyday. I work in Sorrento Valley in San Diego(a highly populated tech business area). Sure they are great cars and I do admire them. But too common now for my taste to even own one. Even if you fix one up, still not unique since there are plenty modified ones everywhere. And GTRs are still constantly being produced with no limit.
How many ISFs I see on the street?...about one a month in my work area. That to me makes the ISF 'exclusive'.
Old 08-18-16, 06:43 AM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Agreed. I see about one ISF a month, if I'm lucky. Otherwise there are periods where I can go months at a time without seeing another one. The ISF is truly an exclusive vehicle
Old 08-18-16, 06:51 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
I guess I'll say it...GTRs are common as ****. I see about 1-2 a day, and not the same one everyday. I work in Sorrento Valley in San Diego(a highly populated tech business area). Sure they are great cars and I do admire them. But too common now for my taste to even own one. Even if you fix one up, still not unique since there are plenty modified ones everywhere. And GTRs are still constantly being produced with no limit.
How many ISFs I see on the street?...about one a month in my work area. That to me makes the ISF 'exclusive'.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. I remember back when the GTR was still relatively new. I would see one and be like woah!!! An R35 GTR!! Now if I see one I'm like, oh hey look, a GTR... Cool. Doesn't help that most of them have the same modifications done to them either. And there's always at least one or even two at the bigger Friday night car meets in my area. And I'm not even the "rich" cities or anything lol. That goes to show just how many of them there are out there. But you can't really blame them either, it is one hell of a car
Old 08-18-16, 08:07 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome back!!!!
Old 08-18-16, 10:04 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Exactly the point I was trying to make. I remember back when the GTR was still relatively new. I would see one and be like woah!!! An R35 GTR!! Now if I see one I'm like, oh hey look, a GTR... Cool. Doesn't help that most of them have the same modifications done to them either. And there's always at least one or even two at the bigger Friday night car meets in my area. And I'm not even the "rich" cities or anything lol. That goes to show just how many of them there are out there. But you can't really blame them either, it is one hell of a car
Yeah I agree... we should all just by a GTR as a commuter/beater car so we can blend in with all the other ones on the road. Then when it hits 50k miles we can just donate it for a tax write off and proceed to buy another commuter... like a gallardo or something. J/K
Old 08-18-16, 10:07 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Yeah I agree... we should all just by a GTR as a commuter/beater car so we can blend in with all the other ones on the road. Then when it hits 50k miles we can just donate it for a tax write off and proceed to buy another commuter... like a gallardo or something. J/K
Haha right??.. But no seriously though. Theres like 2-3 Gallardos at every car meet over here. Yawn!! Lol. Jk
Old 08-18-16, 10:42 AM
DarthChu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! GTR now back to the F, both cars are awesome. Welcome Back!

Quick Reply: ISF to GTR to ISF