IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF to GTR to ISF

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 10:48 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny how a lot of us are like, "YOU went from an F to a GTR and back to an F??" But I guess that just speaks volumes for how well rounded of a car the ISF really is.

You know what would be really crazy to read on Clublexus though? A thread titled "From IS350 to ISF back to IS350" Lol!
Old 08-19-16, 12:29 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
It's funny how a lot of us are like, "YOU went from an F to a GTR and back to an F??" But I guess that just speaks volumes for how well rounded of a car the ISF really is.

You know what would be really crazy to read on Clublexus though? A thread titled "From IS350 to ISF back to IS350" Lol!
That would just be trolling!
Old 08-19-16, 02:46 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
That would just be trolling!
Well I mean since I'm gonna be upgrading from my is350 to an ISF... Maybe I'll be the one to write it? Hahaha

"The ISF was great, it had power, had a nice muscular appearance, and it was truly unique. So unique in fact, that after driving it everyday for the past few months, I slowly grew fatigued of it. Don't get me wrong the ISF is one hell of a machine and I look forward to owning one again in the future, but it just lacked that special something my IS350 had.. "

Something like that right? ^^^ lol
Old 08-19-16, 03:04 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Well I mean since I'm gonna be upgrading from my is350 to an ISF... Maybe I'll be the one to write it? Hahaha

"The ISF was great, it had power, had a nice muscular appearance, and it was truly unique. So unique in fact, that after driving it everyday for the past few months, I slowly grew fatigued of it. Don't get me wrong the ISF is one hell of a machine and I look forward to owning one again in the future, but it just lacked that special something my IS350 had.. "

LOL! That is hilarious!
Old 08-19-16, 03:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I mentioned this story to a friend and he looked at me like I was nuts . The ISF is an amazing car all around
Old 08-19-16, 03:35 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I mentioned this story to a friend and he looked at me like I was nuts . The ISF is an amazing car all around
Well I mean... It is still just a last generation IS when you think about it. Obviously they're nothing alike except for similar appearances, but to the average person it's just an IS in their eyes. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend!
Old 08-19-16, 03:50 PM
DarthChu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL ... haha good one!
Old 09-06-16, 07:51 AM
jcschnitze
Driver School Candidate

Default thoughts on GT-R

I too have been thinking about "upgrading" to a GT-R. Main reason is the power and legendary 0 to 60 time. However after researching I am a bit concerned. I know that Nissan's build quality lacks behind Lexus but what I found is crazy. There are two big problems - the erratic transmission problem and the bell housing issue. It seems almost all 09 to 11 cars will experience transmission failure (losing odd gears or even gears), due to failed solenoids, circlips etc. This is not related to launched or driving style. The GTR life forum shows cars with 5,000 miles already failing. The problem is not solved with 12-16 cars but some parts were slighted beefed up, so they will last a bit longer. Some 09-11 owners had their tranny replaced with latter models but had them failed again. The bell housing is another part which will eventually self destruct. With early models, improper tolerance gap between where the drive shaft mates to the transmission bell housing leads to excessive play, eventually wearing out the bell housing opening leading to drive shaft/crankshaft damage. Nissan latter put steel sleeves around the BH opening.... but this wears out the driveshaft... and you guess it, eventual failure again. It's a design flaw that Nissan never fixed. This means the above are basically wear and replace parts. This is why I have not pulled the trigger on a GT-R. The IS-F is a dream in terms of the perfect combo of performance, reliability and comfort. Only thing is that like many here, I want a change after 6 years of ownership.

Last edited by jcschnitze; 09-06-16 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 09:02 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jcschnitze
I too have been thinking about "upgrading" to a GT-R. Main reason is the power and legendary 0 to 60 time. However after researching I am a bit concerned. I know that Nissan's build quality lacks behind Lexus but what I found is crazy. There are two big problems - the erratic transmission problem and the bell housing issue. It seems almost all 09 to 11 cars will experience transmission failure (losing odd gears or even gears), due to failed solenoids, circlips etc. This is not related to launched or driving style. The GTR life forum shows cars with 5,000 miles already failing. The problem is not solved with 12-16 cars but some parts were slighted beefed up, so they will last a bit longer. Some 09-11 owners had their tranny replaced with latter models but had them failed again. The bell housing is another part which will eventually self destruct. With early models, improper tolerance gap between where the drive shaft mates to the transmission bell housing leads to excessive play, eventually wearing out the bell housing opening leading to drive shaft/crankshaft damage. Nissan latter put steel sleeves around the BH opening.... but this wears out the driveshaft... and you guess it, eventual failure again. It's a design flaw that Nissan never fixed.
This means the above are basically wear and replace parts. This is why I have not pulled the trigger on a GT-R. The IS-F is a dream in terms of the perfect combo of performance, reliability and comfort. Only thing is that like many here, I want a change after 6 years of ownership.
This is good information, I knew about early year transmission failure, but this has opened my eyes.
Old 09-06-16, 10:29 AM
jcschnitze
Driver School Candidate

Strange as it may seem, I drove a FR-S last week and I like it. It may not have power but the feel of a light weight car is good. Turn in is nimble and the lack of weight transfer on cornering is refreshing. We are too used to cars with all the gadgets and power to make up for the heavy weight. Instead of trading in the IS-F for a GT-R, I may keep the F and buy a FR-S as a second car!
Old 09-06-16, 10:48 AM
BirgeyT1
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jcschnitze
Strange as it may seem, I drove a FR-S last week and I like it. It may not have power but the feel of a light weight car is good. Turn in is nimble and the lack of weight transfer on cornering is refreshing. We are too used to cars with all the gadgets and power to make up for the heavy weight. Instead of trading in the IS-F for a GT-R, I may keep the F and buy a FR-S as a second car!
That would actually be a perfect combo! I just sold my BRZ a couple months ago and now I'll be buying an ISF. If you can afford to have both that would be very enjoyable. I just needed more power after having more powerful cars before the BRZ.
Old 09-06-16, 11:03 AM
Bavarian
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the story.

I would like to have both cars. ^^
Old 09-06-16, 12:23 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Whenever I see a BRZ/FRS in traffic, I think to myself what a monster it would be with an Isf drivetrain swapped in.
Old 09-06-16, 12:24 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
Whenever I see a BRZ/FRS in traffic, I think to myself what a monster it would be with an Isf drivetrain swapped in.
There is a review on YouTube of a v8 swapped frs I think.
Old 09-06-16, 12:43 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a lot to say for the lightweight sporty car, but you could buy a new BRZ top trim level or a used 2008 IS-F...I know what I'd do.

I owned both cars at the same time for about a month - I could barely remember why I bought a BRZ to begin with after driving the IS-F daily for a few weeks. I took the BRZ out to show a potential buyer and I suddenly remembered why I bought it - the taught chassis, the throwability, the slick gearbox (Miata still better) - but it just wasn't fun day-to-day like the IS-F is. Two totally different approaches to the sporty car formula. The BRZ just needs more ***, period. Otherwise I would buy it used and race it because as a DD it's useless.

Quick Reply: ISF to GTR to ISF