IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Project Mu NS400 and OEM rotor quick review

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 06:56 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Project Mu NS400 and OEM rotor quick review

So I finally got rid of the Stoptech pads that I had (if you haven't read my other posts, these pads were awful. Squeeled like pigs, a lot of dust and if they are even damp when you put he car to bed after a wash you will come back to crap transferred onto the rotors that feels like gravel for the next two days while braking! Can't say enough bad things about them. Please don't let the cheap price fool you)

Anyways, I ended up doing the whole job, Brembo OEM rotors, Mu NS400 pads, Brembo fluid and OEM shims.

Without going into too much detail, after bedding in the pads and driving for two days, I can say for certain that this combo is "really nice!"

I know that's not a very technical write up, but it's simply that everything is good...smooth, quiet, responsive, great pedal feel, good stopping power. Absolutely nothing negative to say about the setup, except that perhaps Mu could make their pads in a cooler color than light green. Overall I would not say that the stopping power is better than the StopTechs, but I would say it is equal (the one decent thing about the StopTechs was that they did bite pretty good).

So far dusting is low, however, can't really comment on this until I give them a good wash after bedding them in and see how the dust is afterwards.

So, overall, full thumbs up. If you are looking for a good street set up, this is a great one. Seems like the rotors and pads work really well together.

Last edited by Jz39; 08-29-16 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-29-16, 07:06 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Jz for the review. I need to the fronts soon on mine.
Old 08-29-16, 07:14 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the writeup! I was trying to decide which way to go when it's time for new pads/rotors. Seems like everyone likes project mu
Old 08-29-16, 07:21 PM
Jz39
Advanced

I bedded them in with 10-12 medium pressure stops stops from about 35 - 5 mph, let them cool for a bit and then 3-4 hard stops from 60-5mph.

The kids loved it! Hard stops in the middle of the road, right hand turns to avoid stopping during the process, people looking at us like we were crazy.....

Had a good, hot smell from the, after bedding and could see a nice transfer layer on the rotor afterwards.

Old 08-29-16, 07:55 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Same setup here low dust good feel ( car came with them) project mu make some nice rotor for the isf to.
Old 08-29-16, 09:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Nice Write Up God Job on the Bedding

Lou
Old 08-29-16, 11:11 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hrmmm.. I had heard good things about the StopTech but this is making me lean toward Project Mu!
Old 08-29-16, 11:26 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Hey Sparky have a look at there site, the pads were fitted by chatwood Lexus, so they think they are good and so do i, NO noise stuff all dust and good feel just do it cheers.
Old 08-30-16, 01:57 AM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
Hey Sparky have a look at there site, the pads were fitted by chatwood Lexus, so they think they are good and so do i, NO noise stuff all dust and good feel just do it cheers.

Yeah I dont think that Lexus Chatswood would go with crap products, and i asked Chris today from Lexus and he recommended them highly.

Ok I'll still give them a go haha! Thanks!
Old 08-30-16, 07:19 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for oem rotors and project mu pads

I had put on brand new oem pads and they were making so much noise. I took them off within 3 months and replaced with ns400. No more embarrassment coming to a stop at a crowded intersection.
Old 08-30-16, 07:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Where are you guys buying your NS400s? I was looking on forum sponsor SpeedFreaksUSA site, but they don't even sell the rears. Front only it seems.
Old 08-30-16, 08:43 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
I know that's not a very technical write up, but it's simply that everything is good...smooth, quiet, responsive, great pedal feel, good stopping power. Absolutely nothing negative to say about the setup, except that perhaps Mu could make their pads in a cooler color than light green. Overall I would not say that the stopping power is better than the StopTechs, but I would say it is equal (the one decent thing about the StopTechs was that they did bite pretty good).

So far dusting is low, however, can't really comment on this until I give them a good wash after bedding them in and see how the dust is afterwards.

So, overall, full thumbs up. If you are looking for a good street set up, this is a great one. Seems like the rotors and pads work really well together.
Did you ever have OEM pads? I liked how hard the OEM pads bit, I just didn't like where they bit. I'm currently running Porterfield R4S and you can really modulate the pedal, but it's almost too much modulation. OEM was on/off and the Porterfields have a really wide engagement area...I'm looking for something in between I guess.

Or more realistically, lemme drive your car next time you're in my part of town.
Old 08-30-16, 09:13 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Where are you guys buying your NS400s? I was looking on forum sponsor SpeedFreaksUSA site, but they don't even sell the rears. Front only it seems.
Right here:

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-13177847...is-f-rear.html

Lou
Old 08-30-16, 09:22 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

*EDIT* Thanks Lou ^^^^

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
We do sell both the front and rear pads! We have transferred everything to a new website and it looks like possibly not everything transferred correctly so if you don't see something you want, chances are good that we actually do have it!

We currently have about 15 full sets (front and rear) Project Mu NS400 sitting on the shelf and ready to ship out. Here are the direct links for anyone who is interested.
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-11667143...s-f-front.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-13177847...is-f-rear.html

Please let me know if you have any questions!

-Matt M.
Old 08-30-16, 09:27 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Did you ever have OEM pads? I liked how hard the OEM pads bit, I just didn't like where they bit. I'm currently running Porterfield R4S and you can really modulate the pedal, but it's almost too much modulation. OEM was on/off and the Porterfields have a really wide engagement area...I'm looking for something in between I guess.

Or more realistically, lemme drive your car next time you're in my part of town.
Are there ever any F meets in MD/VA?

I never had oem Brembo pads on the F, but I've had oem Brembo pads on my G35. I recall them being quite good, but way too dusty and they were dead in 30k miles.

The Mu's don't have that super hard initial bite, but given a bit more pedal pressure they very smoothly and strongly bring the car to a stop. The Stoptechs always felt "rough"...they always felt like they were grinding on the rotor, the Mus are just smooth and powerful--a really good feel for street driving.

Quick Reply: Project Mu NS400 and OEM rotor quick review