IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR-Racing Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-16, 03:39 PM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RR-Racing Tune

I know this has been addressed but, im looking for answers from people who personally have this set up.

For people who have the RR tune ONLY with an exhaust and intake do you guys really feel a noticeable gain?

How much more responsive does the car feel? Are you satisfied with how much you spent with the results?

I am heavily debating on getting the tune....I'd like headers also but I can NOT stand drone....I know the gains are more substantial but, the drone and the cost is way more than a tune.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-16, 03:43 PM
sahelmad24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to know too!!!^
Old 09-02-16, 04:21 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe I read Rafi saying gains with the tune can only be seen if you have headers. Otherwise it's not worth it.
Old 09-02-16, 04:22 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Yes! I have the tune and their tuned intake (Headers going on at the end of this month), granted the tuned intake will not make anymore power than an elbow (HPS,Joe-Z etc...) without headers the intake is almost worth the price of admission for sound alone!!

But yes very noticeable difference with the tune/tuned intake/Borla on my car I say go for it! Look at the tune thread and see some of the acceleration videos, granted a lot of them are with headers the car still has a noticeable increase in midrange with the tune for sure!
Old 09-02-16, 04:38 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
I believe I read Rafi saying gains with the tune can only be seen if you have headers. Otherwise it's not worth it.
Rafi said that if you get their tuned intake which has a larger MAF pipe diameter wise it won't make any more power than the stock pipe/Joe-Z/HPS etc......... and that it requires headers at that point to see the gains of the tuned intake at that point ala their power package.

But there are definitely gains to be had with just an elbow and exhaust for sure especially in the mid-range which is what I'm running right now and there is now way I'd go back to the stock tune FWIW
Old 09-02-16, 04:41 PM
jcunc05
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur. I noticed gains with the x force exhaust and HPS tube with aftermarket air filter.
Old 09-02-16, 05:10 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
Ummm, that's not accurate at all. I only have a Borla exhaust (with no resonators), and after Rafi personally installed the RR Racing Tune on my ISF, I noticed an immediate performance improvement. That same day I had the chance to "take the long way home", and do dozens of WOT runs. The car felt substantially more powerful after each pull. This is a very worthwhile mod.
The following 2 users liked this post by ISF_GG:
Scott610 (12-08-20), WhyHateTho (05-09-20)
Old 09-02-16, 05:39 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF_GG
Ummm, that's not accurate at all. I only have a Borla exhaust (with no resonators), and after Rafi personally installed the RR Racing Tune on my ISF, I noticed an immediate performance improvement. That same day I had the chance to "take the long way home", and do dozens of WOT runs. The car felt substantially more powerful after each pull. This is a very worthwhile mod.
I think he's referring to the upgraded RR intake is only beneficial with headers not just any intake.
Old 09-02-16, 06:40 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I say get the headers. It's much more gain than the tune. The tune does help with the lower and mid range torque though. It feels like it pulls more quickly after redline shift between 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I need to overlay my dyno charts to see how much better it was at the lower Rpms. As for peak power and torque u won't see much at all. Several guys here in SoCal did a pre and post dynos and we all got 9-10whp gain and about same for torque at peak. I wouldn't expect more than 10-12whp additional with tune. We're all going to dyno again to confirm it soon
Old 09-02-16, 06:42 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I have Joez and ppe and it's not bad at all. I feel like sometimes it's kinda quiet. 70-80 mph cruising on freeway it is really tame
The following users liked this post:
1USBISF (01-07-20)
Old 09-02-16, 07:07 PM
firstfive0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stay netural on the issue of power gains versus drone. My sugestion is to find someone in CA who has a set up and listen for yourself.
Old 09-02-16, 08:00 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

It's good to hear the perspective of the folks that have only a cat-back exhaust and intake because I'm running an x-force cat-back exhaust only. I don't have any immediate plans on installing headers, even though that's the key unlocking the most power on our cars. I'm still up in the air on the tune as the numbers on non header vehicles are on the lower end but if it feels better/more responsive/quicker then I may get the tune. I'll have to meet up someone local and take a ride in their car sometime and see if I can feel the difference.
Old 09-02-16, 08:08 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

It depends.....if you have the Borla full exhaust and intake, the tune will be fine and you should have no drone.
Old 09-02-16, 09:54 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Rrracing tune

You can definitely feel it. Its more cost effective than getting the headers.
Old 09-02-16, 10:53 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Rafi said that if you get their tuned intake which has a larger MAF pipe diameter wise it won't make any more power than the stock pipe/Joe-Z/HPS etc......... and that it requires headers at that point to see the gains of the tuned intake
that sounds more accurate. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quick Reply: RR-Racing Tune