IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealership woes, poor PDR job leads to headaches.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 12:14 PM
Orthodoks
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealership woes, poor PDR job leads to headaches.

I need some advice from you guys, this story maybe a bit long and I apologize.

There was a dent at the edge of my rear passenger door so I brought it into my local Lexus dealership to be fixed under the Lexus Dent/Wheel Repair warranty.

10 second video, need to watch this on higher resolution to see the paint imperfection.

Inside edge.

As you can see, it didn't turn out so well. I got the car back with a damaged seal, this is not good for rust. In the video you can see paint imperfections on the outside, there are tiny little welts that line up perfectly with the craters on the inside of the door.

After talking to the supervisor, he brought my car to their body shop and got an estimate. At this time I was told I could bring it to the body shop of my choice but he needed to speak to the service manager. When the service manager got involved he denied responsibility at first, saying that their warranty only cover what can be fixed by PDR and beyond that its a body shop / the customer's responsibility. What happened to my car he explains is they were trying to do the "right thing" and it didn't meet my standards. WTF...

After an in person visit with the service manager, he finally agreed to pay the repair in full (he initially offered to only pay half) but at their body shop. The issue is, their body shop estimate was $500 and I haven't been able to get a detailed list of what they would do. My body shop quoted $1200 with a detailed list. (A lot of parts needs to come off including the inside panel, door handle, trims, quarter panel/roof trim for the paint blending to come out correctly. They also told me the dealership should of never touched it in the first place since it wasn't something that can be PDR'd.)

The dealer offered to do the repair at no charge if I use their shop or they will cut me a check for $500 if I use my body shop. But I feel like they are responsible for the damage and should pay the $1200. What really pisses me off is they messed up and they are trying to down play that fact.

What would you guys do in this situation? Pursue this further or let their shop do the repair and get it over with?
Old 09-03-16, 12:33 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pursue it further and let actual professionals do it right. If the dealership continues to only offer 500 then call Lexus corporate. Either way don't let someone who does that shoddy a job touch your car again.
Old 09-03-16, 03:29 PM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let there shop do it, they had a chance to get it right. I would get another quote or two from a high end shop in the area and bring all the quotes to them and tell them to pick one and cut you a check for that. I would call Lexus corporate now to light a fire under the local dealers ***. Tell the dealership you also want them to provide a loaner while your car is down as well.
Old 09-04-16, 01:55 AM
Orthodoks
Rookie

I forgot to mention, the person that did the damage is just the PDR guy, not part of the body shop that they want to use.

But this story got a little worse. They finally provided me a copy of the estimate and it just dropped to $370. They gave me an estimate for the door seal repair only, and it was from a date where my vehicle wasn't even present at this body shop.

How can this be accurate? Is this even legal? I don't have the original copy from the date that the supervisor brought my car in. Am I screwed?

Last edited by Orthodoks; 09-04-16 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-04-16, 08:12 AM
xSumDumGuy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Smt6 said, start discussions with corporate and show them the quality of the work and what they are doing (or not doing) now. Don't waste your time talking to a supervisor- get in touch with the GM and blow them up on social media if that doesn't work. You're not screwed, but you're going to have to work to get it fixed.
Old 09-05-16, 08:38 PM
Orthodoks
Rookie

That's my plan tomorrow. Thanks for the advice guys.