IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dash and door panel issues ? Chime in please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 04:56 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dash and door panel issues ? Chime in please.

Guys,

I currently own a 06' is350 69K miles, car is super clean, but the common dash stickiness happens here and there..

Do the ISF guys have this problem ? Did Lexus remedy this throughout the production years ?
Old 09-07-16, 05:50 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

There should be a Recall that covers your vehicle. Last time I looked, the problem many owners were facing is parts not being available up to one year. It's very frustrating, what's even more frustrating is that none of the ISF's were included in the recall. Several owners have already complained about their F's being affected the same way.
Old 09-07-16, 07:30 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

My dash is really bad, and my front Door panels are fading and chipping. I contacted Corporate, and they said to have it checked at a dealer as they handle each case individually and to make sure that it was not damaged by user error. i am out of warranty and i doubt that there will be any parts available to replace it. i'm thinking of having my dash and panels wrapped if the dealer won't be able to do anything.
Old 09-07-16, 07:54 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...14/783905-door

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-chime-in.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...all-issue.html

Lots of reading but yes some of us do have the issue. Lexus is doing a case by case. I was told since I am not the original owner of the car, Lexus would only cover half the cost to replace all 5 panels. Which leaves me with a little over 2 grand to fork out of pocket.
Old 09-07-16, 08:41 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

I know a good deal of you do not support using products on your interiors & I respect your opinions.

However, I am not one of these people. I used a 10 to 1 water / alcohol mix in a spray bottled & cleaned everything down in the interior (except the seats). I then hit it with a coat of Wolfgang's Cockpit Trim sealant. My dash /doors along with all plastics do not shine in the sun. All I use to clean it is a damp cloth. Fantastic product. Make sure you distribute evenly.
Old 09-07-16, 08:45 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
I know a good deal of you do not support using products on your interiors & I respect your opinions.

However, I am not one of these people. I used a 10 to 1 water / alcohol mix in a spray bottled & cleaned everything down in the interior (except the seats). I then hit it with a coat of Wolfgang's Cockpit Trim sealant. My dash /doors along with all plastics do not shine in the sun. All I use to clean it is a damp cloth. Fantastic product. Make sure you distribute evenly.
Were your dash and panels already deteriorating before using this product?
Old 09-07-16, 08:53 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Were your dash and panels already deteriorating before using this product?
No they were not, however I did get the shiny & sticky appearance on and off in this egregious Chicago weather. It's almost like the material bleeds out its moisture or something.
Old 09-07-16, 08:55 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
No they were not, however I did get the shiny & sticky appearance on and off in this egregious Chicago weather. It's almost like the material bleeds out its moisture or something.
Was this before or during the use of the wolfgang stuff? I got some blackfire interior protectant that i used a few months ago that helped but i think its time to do another application. The heat has been ridiculous this year.
Old 09-07-16, 09:21 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Was this before or during the use of the wolfgang stuff? I got some blackfire interior protectant that i used a few months ago that helped but i think its time to do another application. The heat has been ridiculous this year.
This was before. All I had hit it with up to that point (which didn't help at all) was a Meguiar's product & Poor Boy's Natural Look (which is a FANTASTIC product for all other plastics). I hear good things about Blackfire too.
Old 09-07-16, 09:34 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Thanks to everyone that's chimed in so far. Is this issue only effecting the early year models ? Are the 2012's and up having this issue ?
Old 09-07-16, 10:07 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

2012 owner here.. No issues yet.. Fortunately, my IS-F spends most of its life in the shade (garages at home & office). Hopefully that helps mitigate the issue. My '06 IS350 spent much of its life the same way.. It didn't have any dash/door panel issues when I had it. My neighbor owns it now & it has 150K miles. I don't recall him ever mentioning the issue, but I'll ask him about hit. I don't know his parking arrangement at work (I believe it's an uncovered lot), but I know it's usually garaged at home.

-Mike
Old 09-07-16, 10:10 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sunshade + closing the sunroof does wonders, even here in AZ the car isn't uncomfortably hot to get into, I would imagine that would nearly solve this issue.
Old 09-07-16, 12:40 PM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikersoft
2012 owner here.. No issues yet.. Fortunately, my IS-F spends most of its life in the shade (garages at home & office). Hopefully that helps mitigate the issue. My '06 IS350 spent much of its life the same way.. It didn't have any dash/door panel issues when I had it. My neighbor owns it now & it has 150K miles. I don't recall him ever mentioning the issue, but I'll ask him about hit. I don't know his parking arrangement at work (I believe it's an uncovered lot), but I know it's usually garaged at home.

-Mike
Yeah, my car spends most of its time in the garage as well, but I still notice the stickiness when I get in. (TX) heat here..

Originally Posted by nks979
Sunshade + closing the sunroof does wonders, even here in AZ the car isn't uncomfortably hot to get into, I would imagine that would nearly solve this issue.
I'm wondering if it's from someone using oily protectant before I had the vehicle.. I'm considering beginning the search for an ISF, because the 350 has converted me to Lexus now, just don't want the horrible dash/ door panel issue rearing it's head. I've already replaced the door panels myself, honestly I don't want to tackle the dash replacement.
Old 09-07-16, 01:09 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by HankMoody
Yeah, my car spends most of its time in the garage as well, but I still notice the stickiness when I get in. (TX) heat here..

I'm wondering if it's from someone using oily protectant before I had the vehicle.. I'm considering beginning the search for an ISF, because the 350 has converted me to Lexus now, just don't want the horrible dash/ door panel issue rearing it's head. I've already replaced the door panels myself, honestly I don't want to tackle the dash replacement.
Did you purchase the panels from lexus?
Old 09-07-16, 01:09 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The problem occurred in 2008 model year Isf's only iirc. Dash & door panel materials changed for 2009 & later f's.

Unfortunately the 2008's are far & away the most common. My '08 has no deterioration, but it's always been garaged in western Washington or Alaska.

Last edited by tas02; 09-07-16 at 01:12 PM. Reason: It get hot in E. Wash.

Quick Reply: Dash and door panel issues ? Chime in please.