IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Track Day Gadgets!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 10:26 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track Day Gadgets!

So i have committed to the track day on the 22nd Nov (quietly frothing out!) and wanted to get the most from my time on the track. I dont intend to track the car often, maybe 1-2 times a year, and after the tune etc i can see me driving the ISF for a few years to come. Until i can afford a GSF that is!

I was thinking about getting a few toys for recording the day. I have an older go-Pro, but my iPhone 6 actually has a better camera and interface etc than that now.. I was after some feedback and ideas to be thrown around So here is what i was thinking:
Get the Grand Prix version of the lap timer, so i can overlay the all information from this below.
This will pull all information from the car including throttle inputs, speed etc etc and overlay it over the video from above. Looks mental from what i have seen.
Use this mount to sucker the iPhone onto the sunroof, hanging down like a bat, so i can get a slightly behind shoulder view of the hands / action, whilst getting a great view out of the windscreen. It has some good grip on the phone, and the rubber grips should take some of the vibration out of the playback.

With all this combined it would be pretty cool i reckon, and then its straight onto the YouTube!! What do you think? I know a lot of people use the iPhone app and have seen some use the OBD, but do you think the camera position could be cool? No big deal if that doesnt work, i can just face it forward out the windscreen closer up.

Old 09-09-16, 09:07 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,

The Harry's LapTimer is good, but it wont let you overlay multiple (or whole session) in one video, it only does lap by lap so you may want to consider.
* DashWare or RaceRender for final overlay and editing

The OBD2 device is great, but I would not pay $160 for that, sure it's V3, maybe a better transfer rate but you wont notice it when doing overlays, consider this one and 1/3rd the price.
* https://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-Bluetooth-Smartphone-Wireless/dp/B00U0YNMS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473436538&sr=8-1&keywords=Kiwi+obd

The suction cup is cool and should get the job done, but keep in mind that some clubs have different restrictions on where and how you can attach something. They're becoming better at keeping up with technology but some still cling to some older rules, I mostly use GoPro for video and my Phone with Harry's timer just for telemetric data gathering + Kiwi OBD2, I have GoPro attachments around my car so I don't get surprised by some rule of attaching video recording device somewhere that is not allowed.

In the long run, I'd invest in a separate recording device, for instance, Harry's Timer can control GoPro Cameras, basically turn them on and off when you get out on the track, even though your iPhone may have a better picture, it wasn't designed for Action Video where GoPro has, has a wider angle, it's designed at processing videos during high action as well as low light, but that's just me.

Last edited by bbong; 09-09-16 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 09:41 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen several videos that used Harry's Laptimer and they always look good. I like your idea of mounting to the sunroof. I say go for it. Can't wait to see your trackday videos!
Old 09-09-16, 12:04 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I use my buddies app he created called TrackAddict. Similar to Harry's. Maybe worth looking into as an alternative.
Old 09-11-16, 03:16 PM
willstroo
Driver

Originally Posted by bbong
Hi,

The Harry's LapTimer is good, but it wont let you overlay multiple (or whole session) in one video, it only does lap by lap so you may want to consider.
* DashWare or RaceRender for final overlay and editing

The OBD2 device is great, but I would not pay $160 for that, sure it's V3, maybe a better transfer rate but you wont notice it when doing overlays, consider this one and 1/3rd the price.
* https://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-Bluetooth-Smartphone-Wireless/dp/B00U0YNMS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473436538&sr=8-1&keywords=Kiwi+obd

The suction cup is cool and should get the job done, but keep in mind that some clubs have different restrictions on where and how you can attach something. They're becoming better at keeping up with technology but some still cling to some older rules, I mostly use GoPro for video and my Phone with Harry's timer just for telemetric data gathering + Kiwi OBD2, I have GoPro attachments around my car so I don't get surprised by some rule of attaching video recording device somewhere that is not allowed.

In the long run, I'd invest in a separate recording device, for instance, Harry's Timer can control GoPro Cameras, basically turn them on and off when you get out on the track, even though your iPhone may have a better picture, it wasn't designed for Action Video where GoPro has, has a wider angle, it's designed at processing videos during high action as well as low light, but that's just me.
Hrmm i do like the idea of all being recorded on the iPhone, so what you mean is you can only record one lap at a time and then have to combine the videos at home?
I may look into the V2+ for iPhone, only difference is I cant use it on Android and dont really care about that..
I was thinking about getting a wide angle lens attachment for the iPhone, my friend has a lens and i could borrow it for the day.. Considering the viewing angle i will have could be amazing.
Thanks for the feedback!!

Originally Posted by s4chico
I have seen several videos that used Harry's Laptimer and they always look good. I like your idea of mounting to the sunroof. I say go for it. Can't wait to see your trackday videos!
Wooooo!!

Originally Posted by liquidtek
I use my buddies app he created called TrackAddict. Similar to Harry's. Maybe worth looking into as an alternative.
Thanks mat!e!
Old 09-12-16, 07:14 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by willstroo
Hrmm i do like the idea of all being recorded on the iPhone, so what you mean is you can only record one lap at a time and then have to combine the videos at home?
I may look into the V2+ for iPhone, only difference is I cant use it on Android and dont really care about that..
I was thinking about getting a wide angle lens attachment for the iPhone, my friend has a lens and i could borrow it for the day.. Considering the viewing angle i will have could be amazing.
Thanks for the feedback!!

Wooooo!!

Thanks mat!e!
No, Harry's Timer breaks up GPS data per Lap. So when you want to create a video, you can create a video only from single lap, so if you did 17 Laps that session, in order to have them all in one video, Harry's Timer cannot do that, you need to use a different program to allow you to stitch all these laps together into a single video.
Old 09-12-16, 02:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Will heck this out . I was a little frustrated at my last event to realize it will record the entire session but will not overlay more than a lap . Kind of lame
Old 09-12-16, 04:04 PM
willstroo
Driver

Originally Posted by bbong
No, Harry's Timer breaks up GPS data per Lap. So when you want to create a video, you can create a video only from single lap, so if you did 17 Laps that session, in order to have them all in one video, Harry's Timer cannot do that, you need to use a different program to allow you to stitch all these laps together into a single video.
So in theory i will have a video of each lap with the data overlaid, then i can combine the laps together on the computer?

God, not so impressed with my decision to by the Grand Prix version.. Thought this was the best option..
Old 09-12-16, 07:44 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by willstroo
So in theory i will have a video of each lap with the data overlaid, then i can combine the laps together on the computer?

God, not so impressed with my decision to by the Grand Prix version.. Thought this was the best option..
Yes, video for each lap. There used to be video stitching programs, might want to look for them or use the ones I listed to build your own overlay, really easy, also lets you add video from different cameras.