IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Not a good day for Discount Tire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 08:45 PM
737NG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
You'll definitely come out on top here. But buying another caliper after a scratch is like replacing your car because of a rock chip....
Plenty of places that'll paint all 4 calipers for $200-$300 tops. Can change the color now to red, orange, green, yellow or whatever floats your boat! Good luck!
Also, how do the new tires feel?! Are you lowered at all? Have spacers? Fenders rolled? Any rubbing?

V.
The new tires are awesome, huge upgrade over the stock Bridgestones. I'm at stock height. So no rubbing at all.
Old 09-11-16, 11:28 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They did he same thing to me 2 months ago. I had to have the wheel repaired . $150. They didn't even blink . I have to admit I respect them for that.
Attached Thumbnails Not a good day for Discount Tire!-photo426.jpg   Not a good day for Discount Tire!-photo300.jpg  
Old 09-11-16, 11:49 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Great customer service from Discount Tire! They did you right, now I think you are obligated to do the same; if they paid you for a new caliper, you are morally obligated to replace the damaged now with a new one. You certainly have the right to sell the old one, but if you choose not to replace the damaged one who a new one, you really are cheating the system that all of us eventually pay for. Otherwise, you should refund back to Discount Tire the difference in what they paid and what you spent. Just saying that is how it should be, not necessarily how most people will view it.
Old 09-11-16, 05:31 PM
SRTISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL Discount tire did the EXACT same thing to my car. The scratched the hell out of one of my wheels AND put the directional wheels on backwards in the rear AND scratch the calipers. I was blown away to find out the front calibers are $3100 EACH. So i ended up pulling them off and refinishing them myself. Cost me about $40 in paint and took a weekend to stip and do it right. 3 months later they are still looking good. My only advise to is make sure you put a TON of clear coat because mine are a little porous so the brake dust has stuck to the caliper a little more then i would like.
Old 09-11-16, 06:01 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

You got cash and incentive to paint or powdercoat your claipers
win win
Old 09-11-16, 07:12 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by modad
Great customer service from Discount Tire! They did you right, now I think you are obligated to do the same; if they paid you for a new caliper, you are morally obligated to replace the damaged now with a new one. You certainly have the right to sell the old one, but if you choose not to replace the damaged one who a new one, you really are cheating the system that all of us eventually pay for. Otherwise, you should refund back to Discount Tire the difference in what they paid and what you spent. Just saying that is how it should be, not necessarily how most people will view it.
it doesn't really work like that. you purchased something, then someone/something damage said item. not going to get into tort law, but let's say Discount Tire is responsible for causing the damages, then they're legally required to pay for said damages. just because they pay for the damage doesn't mean you're forced to do anything with the money, unless there is some sort of agreement/contract that states you MUST do something or it will be in violation of said contract.
Old 09-12-16, 12:23 PM
DBrian
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by empathy
it doesn't really work like that. you purchased something, then someone/something damage said item. not going to get into tort law, but let's say Discount Tire is responsible for causing the damages, then they're legally required to pay for said damages. just because they pay for the damage doesn't mean you're forced to do anything with the money, unless there is some sort of agreement/contract that states you MUST do something or it will be in violation of said contract.
Well.... i'm kind of with MODAD on this one and I too am a long satisfied customer with Discount Tire. Imagine for example your car is hammered by a hail storm. your insurance company pays for a complete body repair. You are expected to follow through with the full repair. if you do not, you lose the ability to make a claim in the future.
Agreed they should pay for repair of the expensive rims... but $1200 for a simple surface scratch on one caliper ?!? I can maybe see Discount offering to pay to have the caliper professionally repainted, but it seems like they went overboard. I get that its fun to get an unexpected windfall of cash but like MODAD alluded to; if Discount ran into a whole rash of these paybacks, eventually they could not afford to give us all good deals on tires...
Old 09-12-16, 12:43 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

While it is kind of cheating the business, they caused the damage and should pay for it. If they continually damage peoples cars then they won't stay in business anyways, its not terribly difficult to avoid causing damage anyways.