ML Unit Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 12:08 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ML Unit Replacement?

FYI 08 w/~35k

So the CD player acted up the other day. The CDs decided to start skipping randomly, and when I would make a tight left turn, the CD would stop playing until the car was straight again. Next time in the car, it fixed itself. Any thoughts on what could be causing this in case it happens again? And this happened even after changing discs.

Second question, if the unit does end up going bad, is there an aftermarket replacement that would be better, or am I pretty much stuck with OEM?

Old 09-13-16, 12:22 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You can buy an adapter like the Beat Sonic USA double din installation kit that will enable you to remove the factory head unit and install an aftermarket double din radio of your choice while still retaining factory navigation and climate controls. This is also a nice option if you want to replace all of your oem speakers so you do not have to deal with signal processors, line out convertors, etc to tap into your factory signals coming from the ML amp.

Besides that, I am not aware of any other aftermarket options for the IS platform... it is becoming more difficult to be able to integrate aftermarket head units into cars these days since the OEM units are more and more integrated into the functionality of the car.

You'd probably get off better by finding an OEM replacement on eBay or something and just swapping it out with yours if it does go bad.
Old 09-13-16, 03:01 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

I've replaced my rear door speakers already. Buddy with a mobile audio business took care of that for me as I am not proficient with audio electronics. You're saying factory head unit, just to clarify you are talking about the removal of the lower unit with the DVD player, correct? What double dins even work there? It's a rather awkward position
Old 09-13-16, 06:07 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I think he's referring to this...
Old 09-14-16, 03:06 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 166 Posts

I have the above with a Pioneer AVIC 7100NEX. A great way to go with aftermarket.

Old 09-14-16, 03:25 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rickna
I have the above with a Pioneer AVIC 7100NEX. A great way to go with aftermarket.

That looks nice. I like Pioneer, they're good stuff. Are you able to open the small door directly underneath the unit? It looks like it would bump it
Old 09-15-16, 02:22 PM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by isfdave86
That looks nice. I like Pioneer, they're good stuff. Are you able to open the small door directly underneath the unit? It looks like it would bump it
Yeah, the Pioneer has excellent SQ and the features go on & on.
The ash tray cover opens & closes without a hitch, but I lost about 3/8" of space. IMHO, a small compromise for the improvement,
Old 09-15-16, 08:58 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Try calling Xemodex in Canada. They may be able to repair it for you. Just Google them.
http://xemodex.com/us/product/gpsnav...urn-for-lexus/

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 09-16-16 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 09:39 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The Beat Sonic Double Din Adapter Kit in the video posted is coupled with the Pioneer AVIC 8100-NEX double din. I don't use the ashtray at all, so instead, it conceals the Beat Sonic DVD navigation override module to allow uninterrupted video playback as well as navigation input while moving. Of course, whoever is riding shotgun tends to utilize those functions more than I would since I'm driving, but it is neat to have instead of one constantly needing to pull over and put it into park just to input an address. It doesn't bump that concealed area and my hands are rather large, but I'm able to access the buttons to switch the navigation override with ease. When the double din needs to gain access to a CD/DVD player or even an SD card, it slightly taps the shift **** when it's in park. Otherwise, there is no issue with clearance or any issue with accessing those functions at all.
Old 09-15-16, 11:36 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would really like a dash kit that would allow me to remove the factory nav screen and install any double in in its place. They could keep the buttons in place (non functional is fine), or no buttons style - whatever looks clean..

Having driven a vehicle with carplay integration, i would love to have this an option to install a 3rd party deck in the NAV location - not interested in doing the lower double din install..

AFAIK there is nothing in the factory nav system that I need to edit/view - I never need to go into any of those menus if i could replace it with a double din with navi.

Can someone please make this? It would be like the flyaudio kit/system, but instead of providing a screen/OEM style interface - just a double din opening - I could live with non-functional buttons around the head unit, or if you wanted to get really clever you could make the surround buttons programmable / universal IR - use them to control whatever aftermarket deck you install.
Old 09-16-16, 06:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The climate control is all done through the factory nav screen. You would surely want to keep that functioning.
Old 09-16-16, 10:07 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna

I swear you just love to post this picture. I've ran across 1000 threads where you've post it, we get it you have dual screens.
Old 09-16-16, 11:29 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by Durrby
I swear you just love to post this picture. I've ran across 1000 threads where you've post it, we get it you have dual screens.
Then stop stalking me.
Old 09-16-16, 12:39 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
The climate control is all done through the factory nav screen. You would surely want to keep that functioning.

If i leave it on DUAL controls, the rest of it I can do with the lower panel. Set it on auto, adjust your target temp. I have never once needed the NAV screen climate controls.

All the essentials are on the lower panel (driver/pass temp, defrosters, auto modes, inlet preference).

Maybe if someone REALLY cared they could make a relocate kit for it, but honestly I would be insanely happy to exchange a small amount of settings for > insanely better bluetooth, A2DP, CarPlay, modern nav/carplay nav, HDMI inputs, etc.

Seriously, once you've had CarPlay its really hard to come back to, what feels like, insanely dated technology.

Seriously, to the people who build the FlyAudio deck - modify it so we can stuff our own double din into the same space.

btw, is there clearance behind the navi setup for a DD?
Old 09-16-16, 12:41 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Durrby

coming from the mustang forum, there is always some clown reposting 'meh' pictures constantly of their car over and over and over.

with you on this.

btw that lower double din + 2 screen look is absolute garbage.

Quick Reply: ML Unit Replacement?