Bilstein B8 HD and Tein H. Tech review on 2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 05:19 AM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein B8 HD and Tein H. Tech review on 2008

EDIT THEY ARE B6 shocks!!

Alright guys so this isn't a write up or an in depth review.

I bought a 2008 ISF about a year ago and although I didn't notice during all my test drives, the longer I owned the car the more I despised the suspension.
Super bouncy and VERY harsh over uneven and pitted roads. My only wish was that it would handle the same on smooth roads (because it was excellent on smooth roads) as it did over rough surfaces.

I researched and reviewed coilovers but honestly I've had VARIOUS cars with coilovers. From sports cars (Nsx) to "luxury" cars (e92) and sure you can dial them in to ride pretty nice but they still leave a slightly cheap / unrefined feeling. Nothing of an oem tuned suspension.

I decided to pull the trigger on some bilstein B6s and tein h. Techs and all I can say is WOW. I'm not sure if my stock suspension was worn out that bad but it it made a day and night difference. I no longer feel every rock on the road like before. It's feels just like it SHOULD have from the factory. Steering is more responsive, dampening is surprisingly better than stock and the bonus is a get a pretty nice drop.

If if anyone has been considering upgrading their suspension but not really sold on coilovers this is the route I would take. I have a buddy on stock shocks and swifts but it still feels very jarring. Feels just like stock but lower.

I'm not sure if it was the shocks or the springs or just a combo off both so I probably shouldn't comment about the swift springs but all in all I'm ridiculously happy. I rarely post but I had to share this with you guys!

Last edited by dprada01; 09-20-16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 06:13 AM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

how much did they set you back?
Old 09-20-16, 07:11 AM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by topguy573
how much did they set you back?
My brother works at a dealer so I was able to get the Bilsteins at "cost". Overall between springs and shocks I spent about 800. Did it myself last night in a few hours. I know thats the price of some coilovers but I've had my experience with all sorts of brands. I would have only gone Penske or KW and this was A LOT cheaper, and has everything I want/need.
Old 09-20-16, 07:35 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Awesome man, I appreciate posts like this when it comes time for me to upgrade. You didn't happen to take pictures for a DIY, did you?
Old 09-20-16, 11:03 AM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dprada01
My brother works at a dealer so I was able to get the Bilsteins at "cost". Overall between springs and shocks I spent about 800. Did it myself last night in a few hours. I know thats the price of some coilovers but I've had my experience with all sorts of brands. I would have only gone Penske or KW and this was A LOT cheaper, and has everything I want/need.

any chance you can hook me up at cost + 10-20%?
Old 09-20-16, 11:13 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pics of the drop?
Old 09-20-16, 01:55 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to hear this feedback! I bought these shocks a while back, I even started a thread about them at the time and there seemed to be a lot of interest but very little input from people who had actually tried them - in fact I think there was only 1 person who had even put them on the F before. I bought a set along with Swift springs (only going to put them on the front) but haven't had a chance to install them yet, it's been a really busy summer. Now I'm even more anxious to get them on!

EDIT: It looks like the model I bought, and what I posted in that thread, are the B6 Performance shocks not the B8 HD that you mentioned. According to Bilstein's website the B6 Performance is the only model they make for the ISF. Do you have a P/N for the shocks that you bought?

Last edited by jleonard71; 09-20-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 02:00 PM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I'm glad to hear this feedback! I bought these shocks a while back, I even started a thread about them at the time and there seemed to be a lot of interest but very little input from people who had actually tried them - in fact I think there was only 1 person who had even put them on the F before. I bought a set along with Swift springs (only going to put them on the front) but haven't had a chance to install them yet, it's been a really busy summer. Now I'm even more anxious to get them on!

EDIT: It looks like the model I bought, and what I posted in that thread, are the B6 Performance shocks not the B8 HD that you mentioned. According to Bilstein's website the B6 Performance is the only model they make for the ISF. Do you have a P/N for the shocks that you bought?
ayyyy you're right I wanted the B8 but they only make standard height shocks. Either way it's the same shock just one was meant for lowering springs specifically.
Old 09-20-16, 02:36 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was interested in these as well from jleonard's thread. Any chance there are springs that would maintain the stock height? My summer set of wheels are 20s and I don't know how a drop would be ideal.
Old 09-20-16, 03:48 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
I was interested in these as well from jleonard's thread. Any chance there are springs that would maintain the stock height? My summer set of wheels are 20s and I don't know how a drop would be ideal.
Just keep the existing stock springs and it'll maintain stock height. No need to replace the springs unless you have a ton of miles (150K+).
Old 09-21-16, 07:27 AM
jt321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone is looking for a set of B6 shocks/struts, Tirerack.com has them on closeout. Bought a set last night for $570 shipped.
Old 09-21-16, 07:34 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jt321
If anyone is looking for a set of B6 shocks/struts, Tirerack.com has them on closeout. Bought a set last night for $570 shipped.
Whenever I picked my vehicle (08 ISF) it claims they won't fit but when I choose '14 ISF they fit? Just wanna make sure this is correct for the 08 F. Are these the correct part numbers?
24-155311
24-155328
24-155335 (x2)
Old 09-21-16, 08:14 AM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Awesome man, I appreciate posts like this when it comes time for me to upgrade. You didn't happen to take pictures for a DIY, did you?
No i didn't :/ but it's ridiculously simple if you have some experience turning a wrench.
If you need help just pm me and I'll walk you through it.

Originally Posted by topguy573
any chance you can hook me up at cost + 10-20%?
Ill ask him him!

Originally Posted by daedalus
Any pics of the drop?
ill post some this weekend. I'm really enjoying the drop.

If you're running 20s I'm surprised you ARN'T lowered haha. Also, I'm not really sure what springs you could use that are softer than the factory 08s and retain the stock ride height.
Old 09-21-16, 08:15 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whenever I picked my vehicle (08 ISF) it claims they won't fit but when I choose '14 ISF they fit? Just wanna make sure this is correct for the 08 F. Are these the correct part numbers?
24-155311
24-155328
24-155335 (x2)
Bilstein website shows these are the correct part#s for '08.
Old 09-21-16, 08:17 AM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jt321
Great price, pretty much what I paid.

24-155311
24-155328
24-155335 (x2)
Yes sir those are correct!

Quick Reply: Bilstein B8 HD and Tein H. Tech review on 2008