IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 07:42 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

hmmm... there's "Vline Lite" coming out next month that supports Android Auto..

@gromaudio Will Vline heavy be able to support Android Auto?

Or!!! even better.. will lite be able to support car play and android auto?
Old 12-14-18, 08:12 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting...to me it hits that sweet spot for the price, and it says Android Auto will be supported in February. https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/index.html

I wonder if this will have CarPlay and uses the same hookups as the VL1? If all I had to do is switch out the old one for the new one, I would really consider this.

Also, can anyone confirm if AirPlay works on any of the newer firmware updates? It never worked for me in the past on VL1 and I have not updated in a while.

Last edited by unagijimbo; 12-14-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-14-18, 08:33 AM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
Interesting...to me it hits that sweet spot for the price, and it says Android Auto will be supported in February. https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/index.html

I wonder if this will have CarPlay and uses the same hookups as the VL1? If all I had to do is switch out the old one for the new one, I would really consider this.

Also, can anyone confirm if AirPlay works on any of the newer firmware updates? It never worked for me in the past on VL1 and I have not updated in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHbB_59sAk
I can't think of a single reason the Vline V2 couldn't support wifi mirroring if the lite version can manage it. Heck, for all the additional money we've spent, I'd expect it!!
Old 12-15-18, 01:33 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gromaudio
this video right here makes me want to get one so bad. I have the LS460 2008, but I can’t afford it at $600. I hope the price comes down for V2. I don’t know if vlite CarPlay works or not but it’d be great if it did and I’d consider that one instead. Although that V2 looks so cool...
Old 12-15-18, 07:32 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by baviaannl
I can't think of a single reason the Vline V2 couldn't support wifi mirroring if the lite version can manage it. Heck, for all the additional money we've spent, I'd expect it!!
is there any reason you’d like iPhone mirroring? Android auto for the android users out there, sure, but why mirroring when you have way more power than that already.
Old 12-15-18, 07:33 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by unagijimbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHbB_59sAk
February - hahaha another Grom unforced error in unrealistic timelines
Old 12-16-18, 09:35 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Airplay works, but it's largely useless under most use cases. In order to do airplay, you have to have the 2 devices on the same WiFi network (ie - if you're in your garage and your phone and vline both connect to your home router). It doesn't work when you use your phone as a hotspot and have the vline use your phone. I suppose it should work if you get a lte hotspot and have both your phone and your vline connect to that ......
The following users liked this post:
unagijimbo (12-17-18)
Old 12-17-18, 08:46 AM
detinater
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopping over here from the RC section, mainly cause this thread is interesting. But has anyone looked at NavTool? https://www.navtool.com/lexus-rc-201...interface.aspx I don't know a whole lot about the reliability of their stuff, finding info is a bit hard but I have found a few demo videos on youtube from independent people. They have carplay interfaces for some of the lexus line, although you have to be careful as sometimes the stock navigation tools, trackpad, joystick, etc don't always work with their stuff. I was looking at their HD phone mirroring, a lot of kits out there for mirroring aren't HD. Carplay is nice, but comes with some serious limits on what you can and can't use for which mirroring seems to be the answer.

Le Sigh, I love my Lexus, but Toyota's stubbornness to not introduce carplay until this model year is frustrating to say the least.
Old 12-23-18, 07:47 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Will mirroring allow use of the touchscreen to control the phone?
Old 12-23-18, 08:41 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Just touched Vline for the first time in 3 months.

i thought Android upgrade to 7/8 should’ve been available... hmmm...

Anyone know if the updates have stopped for vl2?
Old 12-24-18, 04:08 AM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Just touched Vline for the first time in 3 months.

i thought Android upgrade to 7/8 should’ve been available... hmmm...

Anyone know if the updates have stopped for vl2?
The update was promised to be available before Christmas

I did ask which year at the time.
Old 12-24-18, 07:10 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Yes it is available for local customers only via manual upgrade. If you happen to be in the Bay Area, please stop by for an upgrade. The rest of the people will get it before Christmas.
The classic Grom unforced error - that they make over and over again! Merry Xmas, Grom!
Old 12-24-18, 07:12 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Will mirroring allow use of the touchscreen to control the phone?
No, mirroring means it shows what is displayed on your phone up on the screen, just like airplay mirroring. You have to control the phone by using the phone - not really the greatest idea while driving.
Old 12-24-18, 09:55 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by baviaannl
The update was promised to be available before Christmas
I did ask which year at the time.
We had to postpone the update due to few bricked units locally last week.
We are fixing the update process now to make sure you guys have nothing to worry when updating. We hope to have everything polished by mid January. Will keep you posted on progress as we go through more local people here.
Old 12-24-18, 01:30 PM
lynchy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi gromaudio,

Have you included LDAC support into this build for hi quality Bluetooth streaming from the phone? I believe android 8 has support for this.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?