IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 04:07 AM
spikegv
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope someone can help me. I installed the vline 2 in my ISF 2012 and the USB option remains greyed out. I followed some advice from the grom team to unplug the system and ensure that the USB option dissapears and then reconnect the vline but the USB option appears but is still greyed out. Has anyone experienced this? Or anyone that can offer some advice.
Old 12-26-18, 08:08 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Messaging app and keyboard with voice key

Since android auto is not supported, I'm looking for a messaging app and an on screen keyboard with a voice input button. Any suggestions?

@gromaudio FYI, having trouble with Bluetooth cutting on and off mostly when I'm on a call. Very distracting and dangerous while driving when you're in the middle of a conversation. And my back up camera doesn't work when on the VLine input screen. Will this be addressed with the next OTA update?
Old 12-26-18, 11:24 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Since android auto is not supported, I'm looking for a messaging app and an on screen keyboard with a voice input button. Any suggestions?

@gromaudio FYI, having trouble with Bluetooth cutting on and off mostly when I'm on a call. Very distracting and dangerous while driving when you're in the middle of a conversation. And my back up camera doesn't work when on the VLine input screen. Will this be addressed with the next OTA update?
Can you clarify what exactly is disconnecting ? Bluetooth streaming ?
On some GEN6 Lexus the backup camera may only work while in non VLine mode. This is the stereo limitation and we cannot find the way to solve it yet.
Old 12-27-18, 05:29 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been looking at this thread for a while now. I was interested and hopeful in this unit (V line 2), but apparently it is plagued with issues, most of them minor issues, which kind of not worth the $600 price tag and having to deal with the problems. My question for the GROM people, when are you planning on having a fully functional and bug-free unit that I can confidently buy, install and forget? Maybe then it will be worth what you ask otherwise it is not even close to what I be willing to pay to be a beta tester, which is what this is at the moment ..... a beta unit sold at a premium so you can find and try to fix the bugs........

Still interested in the concept of what you are trying to do here, but it stll has too many issues for the asking price!!!!!
Old 12-27-18, 06:25 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Can you clarify what exactly is disconnecting ? Bluetooth streaming ?
On some GEN6 Lexus the backup camera may only work while in non VLine mode. This is the stereo limitation and we cannot find the way to solve it yet.
@gromaudio my phone connects via Bluetooth to car audio so I can make a call while driving. I'm not streaming music through Bluetooth. When I'm on the Aux input with the Vline on the main screen, the Bluetooth will intermittently cut on and off. If I'm on the FM/AM input, it doesn't cut on/off.
As far as back up camera, I'm almost positive it functioned previously before the latest OTA update, although it was a little glitchy at times, mostly if I didn't wait long enough for the software to load before backing up.
Old 12-27-18, 11:42 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
@gromaudio my phone connects via Bluetooth to car audio so I can make a call while driving. I'm not streaming music through Bluetooth. When I'm on the Aux input with the Vline on the main screen, the Bluetooth will intermittently cut on and off. If I'm on the FM/AM input, it doesn't cut on/off.
As far as back up camera, I'm almost positive it functioned previously before the latest OTA update, although it was a little glitchy at times, mostly if I didn't wait long enough for the software to load before backing up.
Since you're not using bluetooth on VLine then it should not interfere with the bluetooth at all. Does not matter if VLine is displaying or not. Can you verify 100% that it is VLine influencing the factory Bluetooth ? Try disabling Bluetooth completely on Vline (Android Settings->Bluetooth->Off)
Old 12-27-18, 11:47 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by luislopezt
I have been looking at this thread for a while now. I was interested and hopeful in this unit (V line 2), but apparently it is plagued with issues, most of them minor issues, which kind of not worth the $600 price tag and having to deal with the problems. My question for the GROM people, when are you planning on having a fully functional and bug-free unit that I can confidently buy, install and forget? Maybe then it will be worth what you ask otherwise it is not even close to what I be willing to pay to be a beta tester, which is what this is at the moment ..... a beta unit sold at a premium so you can find and try to fix the bugs........

Still interested in the concept of what you are trying to do here, but it stll has too many issues for the asking price!!!!!
If you clarify what issues you see we can comment on those in details. In general we do not see much complaints in the past 3-4 months.
Old 12-27-18, 11:48 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by lynchy
Hi gromaudio,

Have you included LDAC support into this build for hi quality Bluetooth streaming from the phone? I believe android 8 has support for this.
We think it will be supported. We have not tested it yet, but looking at AOSP we see it being there.
Old 12-27-18, 02:59 PM
lynchy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you consider LDAC support a priority for a next / future release as this will push you ahead of any other car stereo manufacturer in terms of sound quality potential for paired devices. I would consider buying your units (even if they are reportedly glitchy) because of this capability.

Survey - Do other forum members agree?
Old 12-28-18, 03:06 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

just read throughout this thread and you can see what I'm talking about. if I buy a unit, what assurance you will give me that there will be no issues with it?
Old 12-31-18, 12:43 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by luislopezt
just read throughout this thread and you can see what I'm talking about. if I buy a unit, what assurance you will give me that there will be no issues with it?
I think you should move on and also not buy anything that runs on software from any company if that is your expectation. Bugs exist everywhere - it's a part of life you have to accept. The Vline2 generally works really well. You're never going to get a guarantee, though.
The following 2 users liked this post by rehr0001:
ISF5L (12-31-18), WillAP1 (12-31-18)
Old 12-31-18, 12:49 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I think you should move on and also not buy anything that runs on software from any company if that is your expectation. Bugs exist everywhere - it's a part of life you have to accept. The Vline2 generally works really well. You're never going to get a guarantee, though.
As a software developer myself I wholeheartedly agree. There is no completely bug-free software. It simply does not exist. It is written by humans and humans are imperfect. Maybe one day when the world is taken over by our robot overlords there will be perfect software, but until then you are out of luck bud.

I also agree the VLine (VL1 in my case) works fine most of the time and has most of the bugs ironed out by now. The ones that remain don't bother me much/ever.
The following users liked this post:
ISF5L (12-31-18)
Old 12-31-18, 09:22 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WillAP1
As a software developer myself I wholeheartedly agree. There is no completely bug-free software. It simply does not exist. It is written by humans and humans are imperfect. Maybe one day when the world is taken over by our robot overlords there will be perfect software, but until then you are out of luck bud.

I also agree the VLine (VL1 in my case) works fine most of the time and has most of the bugs ironed out by now. The ones that remain don't bother me much/ever.
Agreed. There's always bugs to some extent. Even throughout the forums, people are commenting about either software or hardware issues, non responsive screens, lagging, freezing, come options not working etc. Even my wifes car OEM sat nav kept playing up, sometimes would boot, other times not etc.
Ive had the Vline V2 for about 1/2 a year now. Very minor bugs, from my recollection, they all worked themselves out on their own (30min restart or software update). Overall given what my car was running OEM, its chalk and cheese so im very happy with mine and it impresses most who see it.
Forums like this are good though because i know i read through countless pages before taking the plunge but for me i have no regrets.
Old 01-01-19, 01:19 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Even with bugs and glitches possible that's just an excuse, while all the cars my family have no glitches or bugs have appeared... and the whole screen literally controls the entire car. Yeah maybe theres a black screen, but that happened once in four years.

Same goes for any software. There's difference between minor and major, this looks pretty major.
Old 01-01-19, 01:26 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Even with bugs and glitches possible that's just an excuse, while all the cars my family have no glitches or bugs have appeared... and the whole screen literally controls the entire car. Yeah maybe theres a black screen, but that happened once in four years.

Same goes for any software. There's difference between minor and major, this looks pretty major.

i wouldn’t say “major.”

Feels like VL2 is up to 85% perfection. No such things as 100% perfection.

I’m just crying for the last 5%-10% which I think Android 8.1 and post minor fixes will bring (including AA). I have high hopes for Grom in the next 6 months. Only then would I recommend someone to buy once there’s a sale for $500 or less.

personally, I would buy another one if VLite can do CP/AA for $300.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?