IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 07:29 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kennytbone
Hey Grom, did y'all ever add the bluetooth profile for hands-free calling in the newer software/firmware updates? My VL1 is working just fine and I don't want to install updates to find out.

I understand why you wouldn't include it since factory bluetooth calling already exists, but there's one major problem for Lexus gen 5 owners with not having bluetooth calling on the VLine. When the factory bluetooth is in use, it locks out the infotainment screen from all audio devices, including the VLine (CD Changer 2) and just displays a black screen that says "Talking". This makes it impossible to use a navigation app and bluetooth calling at the same time.

If this hasn't been addressed in a newer firmware version, this represents a major functionality gap and I can't recommend the VLine to others until this gap is closed which is unfortunate because I'm otherwise very pleased with the system.
I don't use the Lexus BT anymore (use CarPlay), but I don't recall that being my experience in the past (2007 Ls460) on my VL1. When a call would come in and be answered, the nav screen would switch to the phone screen, but pushing the "audio" button always brought me back to the Vline. At least that is the way I remembered it - I know I would have been driven crazy if I'd have lost my Nav ....
Old 02-13-19, 11:15 AM
kennytbone
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an '07 RX350. When I push the audio button while using the factory bluetooth, all I get is this:

anyone getting the grom vline?-iqlieg2.jpg

If anyone knows if there's a way to change this behavior, I'd love to know how.
Old 02-13-19, 02:25 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjian89
Hello Grom, I updated my firmware and software right after I got it last week. So I have the latest versions. YouTube just loads without any thing on the screen. It also has no option to sign in my account. CarPlay still the same like I said from previous post. I hope the next patch fixes everything.
Please update to the latest OTA. CarPlay and iTunes are fixed. Along with small bug fixes.
Old 02-13-19, 03:25 PM
Earffman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Please update to the latest OTA. CarPlay and iTunes are fixed. Along with small bug fixes.
​​​​I'm from Azerbaijan (on Caucasus), how can I updated my Vline2 by OTA? And that's in this update? Is it finally Android 8.?
Old 02-13-19, 05:16 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
You need to tap the carplay icon 10 times to enable CarPlay for the first time.

Can't speak about YouTube, it works fine on my VL1.
Hi I from the GS forums, ill get a IS-F sooner than later

So does the VL2 and the VL3 support Carplay? I cant get an answer from Grom, maybe because it is not official support ?
Old 02-14-19, 08:49 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bob256k
Hi I from the GS forums, ill get a IS-F sooner than later

So does the VL2 and the VL3 support Carplay? I cant get an answer from Grom, maybe because it is not official support ?
there’s no such thing as a vl3. Even looking up 1 or 2 posts you’d see the VL2 has CarPlay. And yes, it isn’t official
Old 02-14-19, 11:37 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Sorry I meant vl2 not vl3 it was a typo. So for carplay you simply tap the app 10 times and connect you iPhone via USB? Is there an additional dongle needed?
Old 02-15-19, 05:42 AM
zildjian89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the last update, everything works now. Thank you for working so hard Grom.

Another thing is the white vertical lines, it’s not a software issue but I’m getting more often lately. I had to turn off the the car just to get the Grom working again and sometimes the backup camera isn’t working too.

also, will the CarPlay be wireless once it’s official?

thank you!!!
Old 02-15-19, 04:18 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Sorry I meant vl2 not vl3 it was a typo. So for carplay you simply tap the app 10 times and connect you iPhone via USB? Is there an additional dongle needed?
Just connects via usb - no special dongle.
Old 02-19-19, 12:02 PM
rrholmes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received my order, however sending it back. 2016 ES350. Completed riddled with engine noise. The volume on the vline input is lower than the other radio/streaming/usb sources. and when you turn it up to where it is actually at a volume you can listen to the music at, it is riddled with a sound akin to engine noise feedback or something. Contacted Gromaudio and they told me that they are checking out the issue and will contact me in a few weeks to fix it. No thanks. Requested RMA and canceled order for a second unit i had just placed.

A shame, becuase the Apple CarPlay was otherwise awesome and I was very excited until I turned up the volume ****. I disconnected and reconnected everything multiple times. Very disappointed.
Old 02-19-19, 03:44 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rrholmes
I just received my order, however sending it back. 2016 ES350. Completed riddled with engine noise. The volume on the vline input is lower than the other radio/streaming/usb sources. and when you turn it up to where it is actually at a volume you can listen to the music at, it is riddled with a sound akin to engine noise feedback or something. Contacted Gromaudio and they told me that they are checking out the issue and will contact me in a few weeks to fix it. No thanks. Requested RMA and canceled order for a second unit i had just placed.

A shame, becuase the Apple CarPlay was otherwise awesome and I was very excited until I turned up the volume ****. I disconnected and reconnected everything multiple times. Very disappointed.
Sounds like that unit has a bad ground somewhere on the analog side. I wouldn't wait for an RMA either. Please keep me posted on how they handle the return @gromaudio @rrholmes
Old 02-20-19, 12:19 AM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@gromaudio you've got us covered in this scenario yes?

The GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) occurs every 19 years, with the next roll over taking place on 6 April 2019. Similar to odometers in older cars rolling over from 99,999 km to 0, the GPS WNRO is the resetting of the GPS calendar back to 0.

When the calendar resets, it can cause a miscommunication between GPS satellites and GPS receiver chips. As a result, some chips in satnavs will lose the ability to process certain functions.

??
Old 02-26-19, 03:56 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by rrholmes

Did you go into Settings>Sound> Turn up Media Volume? Out of the box VL2 have very low volume and some engine whine noises. Mine exhibit this behavior too, until I turn up Media Volume, then everything sounded great. There is still some minor engine noise, but I have to listen very carefully in dead silence to hear it.
Old 02-26-19, 04:23 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Did you go into Settings>Sound> Turn up Media Volume? Out of the box VL2 have very low volume and some engine whine noises. Mine exhibit this behavior too, until I turn up Media Volume, then everything sounded great. There is still some minor engine noise, but I have to listen very carefully in dead silence to hear it.

Yours had the same issue? GROM's hardware needs better design; the analog ground is too noisy for the DA apparently... This is not a new issue for electronics, and has been licked for years...

@gromaudio
Old 02-26-19, 04:29 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Yours had the same issue? GROM's hardware needs better design; the analog ground is too noisy for the DA apparently... This is not a new issue for electronics, and has been licked for years...

@gromaudio
Yes, may be due to cheap audio chipset GROM is using. Really not a problem once you turn up Media Volume higher. I don't expect audiophile-quality in the car environment anyways.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?