IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 09:05 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by baviaannl
I want to know if the new update improves the Google apps, (Maps in particular) It's currently unusable in the daytime as the roads don't have an outline, all white.

Would love to hear from somebody who has the update.
I have VL2 on 2015 GS 350 running Android 8.1 out of the box when I purchased it a few weeks ago. So far so good. Not really any issues with it. Did have one start up problem last week (black screen of death) but I pulled harness and it rebooted just fine. GROM sent me new firmware that supposed to fix this issue, I haven't install it yet fearing it might create more bugs. What problem do you have with Google Maps? I can see the roads just fine. Waze is working good too. Maybe it because I have a bigger/higher res 12.3" screen on my GS. Don't really see any problems with seeing road in Google Maps.

You guys with IS/ISF seems to have a lot more issues. Hope GROM can fix it.

Google Maps - I see roads just fine.

Waze - darker interface, but roads show up fine too.
Old 03-06-19, 09:17 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

@jdpdata thanks for sharing that! What do you mean you had to pull the harness? Did you have to take apart the car again to fix the issue?

@gromaudio why do you lose the USB inputs with the VL2? I want to keep my car as stock looking as possible. I need a harness that allows me to use the stock USB ports in the car with the VL2;.
Old 03-06-19, 09:32 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

@bob256k I pulled 20pin harness on back of VL2 unit for it to reboot again. Did not have to tear my dash apart since my VL2 is sitting in glovebox.
Old 03-06-19, 11:48 PM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I have VL2 on 2015 GS 350 running Android 8.1 out of the box when I purchased it a few weeks ago. So far so good. Not really any issues with it. Did have one start up problem last week (black screen of death) but I pulled harness and it rebooted just fine. GROM sent me new firmware that supposed to fix this issue, I haven't install it yet fearing it might create more bugs. What problem do you have with Google Maps? I can see the roads just fine. Waze is working good too. Maybe it because I have a bigger/higher res 12.3" screen on my GS. Don't really see any problems with seeing road in Google Maps.

You guys with IS/ISF seems to have a lot more issues. Hope GROM can fix it.

Google Maps - I see roads just fine.

Waze - darker interface, but roads show up fine too.
Not such an issue on your system, you have 8 years of screen technology ahead of mine Obviously a bigger screen with a much better resolution. I find Google Maps a little cramped on the smaller screen which makes it hard to follow. Guess it's just impossible to fix which is a shame.
Old 03-07-19, 09:08 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
@jdpdata thanks for sharing that! What do you mean you had to pull the harness? Did you have to take apart the car again to fix the issue?

@gromaudio why do you lose the USB inputs with the VL2? I want to keep my car as stock looking as possible. I need a harness that allows me to use the stock USB ports in the car with the VL2;.
replace the factory usb with usb runs from the vline. Lots of options to keep it looking stock, but functioning with the vline
Old 03-07-19, 10:21 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by rehr0001

replace the factory usb with usb runs from the vline. Lots of options to keep it looking stock, but functioning with the vline
@bob256k Why do you need to keep OE USB ports? If you plan to use Android Auto/CarPlay, I don't recommend extending USB runs. Many don't work if your USB cable is too long..CarPlay is especially sensitive to a particular Lightning Cable you're supposed to use.
Vline is stand-alone unit, I think using stand alone apps is better than AA/CarPlay apps as they are often time more limited than the full versions. When I get into my car, I turn on Hotspot on my Note 8 then I put phone away, not even touching it during driving. Don't care about OE USB ports as they're too weak to charge my phone. I use a cigarette adapter with 2.1amp fast charging when I need to charge my phone in the car.
Old 03-07-19, 05:50 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

I have worked in professional audio video and low voltage for years; I can extend USB with no issues whatsoever. I just want my car to look stock; I can't stand the random cable poking out of nowhere and I WANT/Need carplay. I don't understand why Grom didn't do that from the start. The USB harness is right there, connected to the OEM stereo. Sorry if this message seems curt or rude.
Old 03-07-19, 06:41 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob256k
I have worked in professional audio video and low voltage for years; I can extend USB with no issues whatsoever. I just want my car to look stock; I can't stand the random cable poking out of nowhere and I WANT/Need carplay. I don't understand why Grom didn't do that from the start. The USB harness is right there, connected to the OEM stereo. Sorry if this message seems curt or rude.
No offense taken. I get that you want your car to look OEM. GROM does include a 6ft USB extension cable, but you'll have to route it somewhere. I don't even use my USB ports on the VL2 unit at all except to load firmware or test offline MP3 music playback from USB stick. When Android Auto finally works, I may have to route my USB cable near my seat for easier access.
Old 03-11-19, 09:30 AM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmoomm
The real issue is not that they promisedto update us, its that they actually advertised it as shipping with 7.1. they said they'll ship it with 5.1 as it is more stable as they do the testing on 7.1. they kept delaying then they said theyre skipping 7.1 to 8.1.

Thats bait and switch.

Hey grom. Wanna pre-order this gold bar for only $20k?
I'll have to ship the box to you now as i polish the gold bar and send it to you by June 😉
I've worked on embedded hardware on android, and support is very tricky. With phones being the main consumer, the companies that make the drivers for the hardware typically only support their hardware across a few Android versions, they aren't as rich as Google - which supports their hardwares for a few years.

I'm actually very impressed it's even possible to go from version 5.0 to 8.0 on low volume hardware as VLINE. It's actually highly unusual and such a promise would not have been done without their supplier's promise - that was likely broken.
Old 03-11-19, 03:48 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

What are you trying to say?
The following users liked this post:
Texas149 (03-11-19)
Old 03-13-19, 01:04 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

@bob256k Why do you need to keep OE USB ports? If you plan to use Android Auto/CarPlay, I don't recommend extending USB runs. Many don't work if your USB cable is too long..CarPlay is especially sensitive to a particular Lightning Cable you're supposed to use.
Vline is stand-alone unit, I think using stand alone apps is better than AA/CarPlay apps as they are often time more limited than the full versions. When I get into my car, I turn on Hotspot on my Note 8 then I put phone away, not even touching it during driving. Don't care about OE USB ports as they're too weak to charge my phone. I use a cigarette adapter with 2.1amp fast charging when I need to charge my phone in the car.
FYI, check out Macrodroid on the play store. I never turn on my hotspot on my note 8, it does it automatically for me as well as turning it off when i leave the car. You just setup simple macros that contain triggers, actions and constraints. So you have several options to achieve the same thing. i.e. When entering the car, once connected to bluetooth, this could be the trigger to turn off wifi and turn on hotspot and the reverse when leaving. I also had issues everytime id make/receive a phone call, it would turn hotspot off. So i got sick of turning it on when this happened so i used a macro to recognise after a call had finsihed to turn hotspot back on. Works well.

Im on the road very early and dont ilke the screen too bright at 5am so i even use time constraints to dull the screen from 5-6am, after than it reverts to a brighter setting. Also geo location triggers so when im near work, turn volume down, when im 200 mtrs away from work (leaving for the day), make volume full etc.
Old 03-13-19, 02:33 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISF5L
FYI, check out Macrodroid on the play store. I never turn on my hotspot on my note 8, it does it automatically for me as well as turning it off when i leave the car. You just setup simple macros that contain triggers, actions and constraints. So you have several options to achieve the same thing. i.e. When entering the car, once connected to bluetooth, this could be the trigger to turn off wifi and turn on hotspot and the reverse when leaving. I also had issues everytime id make/receive a phone call, it would turn hotspot off. So i got sick of turning it on when this happened so i used a macro to recognise after a call had finsihed to turn hotspot back on. Works well.

Im on the road very early and dont ilke the screen too bright at 5am so i even use time constraints to dull the screen from 5-6am, after than it reverts to a brighter setting. Also geo location triggers so when im near work, turn volume down, when im 200 mtrs away from work (leaving for the day), make volume full etc.
What version of the Note 8 do you have? I have the T-Mobile variant and MacroDroid doesn't work to turn on Hotspot when Bluetooth connect. It does work with my other phone that's rooted but I don't want to root my Note 8.
Old 03-13-19, 02:49 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

What version of the Note 8 do you have? I have the T-Mobile variant and MacroDroid doesn't work to turn on Hotspot when Bluetooth connect. It does work with my other phone that's rooted but I don't want to root my Note 8.
Im based in Syd, AU. My model is a SM-950F (stock not rooted). Surprisingly that shows the Europe market not Australia which is listed as SM-950FD.

Have you contacted the Macrodroid devs, maybe its something they can address. I know there are a few other apps that do the same thing but havent explored those ones as fortunately for me, Macrodroid has worked well for me, no issue
Old 03-13-19, 02:57 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Im based in Syd, AU. My model is a SM-950F (stock not rooted). Surprisingly that shows the Europe market not Australia which is listed as SM-950FD.

Have you contacted the Macrodroid devs, maybe its something they can address. I know there are a few other apps that do the same thing but havent explored those ones as fortunately for me, Macrodroid has worked well for me, no issue
No, I haven't contacted MacroDroid devs about it. I don't think there is anything they can do. Apparently US based Note 8 ROMs have a block to turn on WiFi Hotpsot automatically. I have tried Tasker and other similiar automation tools, nothing works. I heard if I flash International Variant rom (probably what you are running), MacroDroid will work. Not willing to go that far, as this is my work phone, need it to function properly.
Old 03-16-19, 09:05 PM
pyroluv
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default android 8.1 oreo upgrade via sim card

My experience with upgrading to oreo 8.1
vehicle: 2007 Lexus ls460
- straight forward follow the directions, update to latest OTA.
go into vline settings to upgrade. it will delete all partitions . Later couple min some new android screen will boot up and ask some options. Next I put the sim card metal side up and clicked upgrade to 8 1. After that a dos like screen will show and after that it will say finish and remove sim card.
*internet connection is a must to setup (get started ) Google assist and voice will be the first thing to setup. There is others things too just how when you get a new android device.

Pros: Google assistants ,Picture in picture , spotify videos (downloaded version) all works.

Cons: multiwindow screen is not functioning when you hold and press the Circle top left corner like in 5.1.1. (This is pretty bad because having multiple apps open and no way to close it will use up alot of system resources.
Mouse reaction slower and the pointer offsets from target. Sometimes cant click any settings with mouse and have to push on screen.
bluetooth tethering doesn't work properly and wifi randomly work or doesnt from hotspot or wifi.
i was stuck in playstore update text to speech and Google app doesn't upgrade because of no connected internet even though it was because I can play spotify.
What i did was upgrade and clear everything from a fresh start and reinstall gapp. I think it maybe the cause is dlfrom backup Google services that it didnt sync right during upgrade process.

My final thoughts is that I rather have 5.1.1 for now. It's very stable. Ok Google works just not the official Google assist. Does practically the same thing. multiwindow and easier settings in 5.1.1. the android 8.1 UI looks more simple and generic compared to 5.1.1. just like windows vista to windows 8.
I'll ask grom if they have a way to revert back to 5.1.1 because I feel it was solid platform.

I can deal with no picture in picture for now.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?