IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 05:55 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

So if you buy one SD card, it's $19.48 shipped. If you buy 2 ($29.96), it's free shipping. How does that even make sense. Lol!

Has anyone pulled the trigger on getting the SD card?
Old 03-18-19, 10:06 AM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
What are you trying to say?
I'm trying to say that anyone thinking that someone at Grom purposely thought they would advertise as upgradable to android 7, but really had all along to bait-and-switch customers and charge for the upgrade is naive. The chance that upgrade from Android 5.x to 8.x truly was hard is much likelier story than the conspiracy theory of bait and switch. How many Android devices can you point out that shipped with 5.x and were upgraded to 8.x ?
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 02:48 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
I'm trying to say that anyone thinking that someone at Grom purposely thought they would advertise as upgradable to android 7, but really had all along to bait-and-switch customers and charge for the upgrade is naive. The chance that upgrade from Android 5.x to 8.x truly was hard is much likelier story than the conspiracy theory of bait and switch. How many Android devices can you point out that shipped with 5.x and were upgraded to 8.x ?
wowwwwwww...
second most shocking post in this thread
first one being when we learn GROM is charging for a GUARANTEED FREE UPGRADE.
The following 2 users liked this post by joedaddy1:
rehr0001 (03-19-19), Texas149 (03-20-19)
Old 03-18-19, 05:20 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Thank you for your understanding. Here is the real story:
When we worked with Rockchip back in April-May 2018, they were giving us 7.1 and we saw some issues here and there, they worked with us on fixing it. They assured that the issues will be resolved by our expected release date in mid June'18. So we made it official that 7.1 will be available out of the box.
Then later in May'18 they stopped supporting 7.1 and told us they will release 8.1 later in July and we should use that instead. We factored in 2 months for our stuff and started working with them on 8.1. There were many issues along the route, much more than we anticipated. By Nov'18 we ironed out pretty much everything and discovered that OTA update from 5.1 is not possible. We worked with them till end of Jan'19 to find the good solution, to no avail. After we gave up, they provided us with the tools and special utilities for SD card update process which took another 2-3 weeks to polish.
How does that affect the people who were waiting for v7.1 as promised?

Personally, I don’t care if you had to climb Mount Everest to find the SD update.

I mean I’ll end up buying the update sooner or later, but I’ll probably remember GROM as a shady business. Probably write few negative reviews to warn future potential buyers.
Texas149 (03-20-19)
Old 03-18-19, 09:12 PM
gixxerjp
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the 8.1 upgrade can't say it's much different so far. I have had it for about a week now seems to have the same problems as before, at least for me.
Old 03-19-19, 05:52 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
that’s what I thought you were trying to say. Grom’s intent and the difficulty of going from 5.1 to 8.1 is of zero importance to any consumer buying a product. If it’s as difficult as you say (which I don’t doubt), Grom should have realized that and not advertised it would ship with 7.1. They saw that as a marketing feature that would help them sell more units. They promised something they “hoped” would be ready. That isn’t how you do business.
Old 03-21-19, 08:41 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pyroluv
My experience with upgrading to oreo 8.1
vehicle: 2007 Lexus ls460
- straight forward follow the directions, update to latest OTA.
go into vline settings to upgrade. it will delete all partitions . Later couple min some new android screen will boot up and ask some options. Next I put the sim card metal side up and clicked upgrade to 8 1. After that a dos like screen will show and after that it will say finish and remove sim card.
*internet connection is a must to setup (get started ) Google assist and voice will be the first thing to setup. There is others things too just how when you get a new android device.

Pros: Google assistants ,Picture in picture , spotify videos (downloaded version) all works.

Cons: multiwindow screen is not functioning when you hold and press the Circle top left corner like in 5.1.1. (This is pretty bad because having multiple apps open and no way to close it will use up alot of system resources.
Mouse reaction slower and the pointer offsets from target. Sometimes cant click any settings with mouse and have to push on screen.
bluetooth tethering doesn't work properly and wifi randomly work or doesnt from hotspot or wifi.
i was stuck in playstore update text to speech and Google app doesn't upgrade because of no connected internet even though it was because I can play spotify.
What i did was upgrade and clear everything from a fresh start and reinstall gapp. I think it maybe the cause is dlfrom backup Google services that it didnt sync right during upgrade process.

My final thoughts is that I rather have 5.1.1 for now. It's very stable. Ok Google works just not the official Google assist. Does practically the same thing. multiwindow and easier settings in 5.1.1. the android 8.1 UI looks more simple and generic compared to 5.1.1. just like windows vista to windows 8.
I'll ask grom if they have a way to revert back to 5.1.1 because I feel it was solid platform.

I can deal with no picture in picture for now.
I am having the same issue with the mouse being off after going to 8.1.

Grom, is there a fix in the works for the mouse? We were also told that the accelerometer would be active with the newer version, but it's still not functioning for me.
Old 03-21-19, 05:30 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by rehr0001

that’s what I thought you were trying to say. Grom’s intent and the difficulty of going from 5.1 to 8.1 is of zero importance to any consumer buying a product. If it’s as difficult as you say (which I don’t doubt), Grom should have realized that and not advertised it would ship with 7.1. They saw that as a marketing feature that would help them sell more units. They promised something they “hoped” would be ready. That isn’t how you do business.
Agreed.. false marketing.

v7.1 was the reason i paid $100 extra for VL2... plenty of other options at Alibaba that had Android 6.0.. I figured v7.1 would give me more options.
I guess in the end it was my fault for trusting Grom..
rehr0001 (03-21-19)
Old 03-23-19, 02:24 PM
Texas149
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Like I said in a previous post GROM never seemed to respond to the tricky/awkward posts/questions on this forum and the Grom rep who was very vocal on this thread earlier on has not been here for a while as there has been a lot of disgruntled owners lately ( inc me )

paul m.
badbwoy007 (03-23-19)
Old 03-23-19, 05:24 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas149
Like I said in a previous post GROM never seemed to respond to the tricky/awkward posts/questions on this forum and the Grom rep who was very vocal on this thread earlier on has not been here for a while as there has been a lot of disgruntled owners lately ( inc me )

paul m.
I even considered getting the VLITE just to mirror my phone when I read about it being released. Even though Vaistech no longer makes theirs, so support from them isn’t so great either.. I’m so glad I stuck with the vaistech I have.
Old 03-24-19, 08:10 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Neles
So I had my VL2 crash (with static vertical green lines) when my reverse camera was engaged. I had to restart the car (which rebooted VL) to get it back to normal. This is the first time this has happened since installing 4 days ago. I've also noticed that when I reverse, for about .3 seconds, I get vertical lines before showing the camera.
I've been having the same issue with my V1. I'm getting really sick of having to restart the car to fix it. Please fix this GROM
Old 03-25-19, 09:27 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I am having the same issue with the mouse being off after going to 8.1.

Grom, is there a fix in the works for the mouse? We were also told that the accelerometer would be active with the newer version, but it's still not functioning for me.
Please contact tech support at https://gromaudio.com/support.html They will help.
Old 03-28-19, 02:51 AM
LEVINSLIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem, back the radio, I can not find the 12-pin cable,plug is empty
Old 03-28-19, 03:48 AM
Texas149
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't think there was a plug in that socket when I fitted mine, just plugged the plug from the Grimm loom in there and the socket on the Grimm loom is left empty.

paul m.
Old 03-28-19, 04:05 AM
LEVINSLIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's already working

Originally Posted by Texas149
Don't think there was a plug in that socket when I fitted mine, just plugged the plug from the Grimm loom in there and the socket on the Grimm loom is left empty.

paul m.
but in the installation guide it says look for a 12pin cable for power audio, in my car it does not have this cable, just an empty plug, sorry bad english

Last edited by LEVINSLIN; 03-28-19 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?