IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 12:49 PM
chucktaylu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We plan on having it ready in 2 weeks. Will send the newsletter once ready.
You did mean July of 2019 right?
Old 07-30-19, 04:58 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chucktaylu
You did mean July of 2019 right?
Haha - i guess it’s true, they didn’t specify! No posting for weeks, and then back with unforced errors again. I guess that is one thing we can count on them for. Looks like they may finally have some competition, now, too, with beatsonic releasing their new solution. You can only ***** on your customers for so long.
Old 08-06-19, 01:27 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

anyone run the new Android Auto on Vline? if so, post pics..
Old 08-08-19, 01:45 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Looks like another competitor. With wireless CarPlay to boot. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...e038f7e47a63c8
Old 08-08-19, 04:33 PM
RSkoljarev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am quite new into the VLine option.

My car is a 2012 IS350 with Factory Navigation and standard sound system (non ML) Australian delivered; therefore RHD.
I have been reading online and watching videos; but I could not find the answers to my questions.
Most of the demos have been done with early 2nd Gen IS head units.

1 – Without VLine my “Audio” button takes me to a screen menu where I have AM, FM, CD, AUX, USB.
AM gives me access to memorise 6 radios and jump from one directly to another, FM gives me 2 sets of 6 memories, CD allows me to select which CD, etc. for each set I can customise individually front-rear, left-right, bass, mid, and treble settings.
Q1: Will I be losing the ability to memorise radios and customise the sound settings for AM, FM, CD once VLine gets installed and therefore the “Audio” button gets reassigned to enter VLine?

2- I have seen a recent post from a user affirming that 2010-2012 Lexus IS cars have that reverse camera inconvenience.
Q2: Is there any way I can confirm beforehand if my car being a 2012 will suffer that?

3- I have seen a video where pressing DEST button (to enter an address to the factory GPS) makes the screen flicker blending factory with VLine screens. That video was based on one of the later stereo units like mine (with flat physical buttons)
Q3: Is this an old bug on VLine? Or is this still happening? Do we know what IS cars are affected?

Q4: Is the same level of R&D and testing done on the later head units as on the early ones for the 2nd Gen Lexus IS platform?

Q5: Will VLine Lite for Lexus IS get Android Auto? Do we know when?

All I really want is to mirror my phone on the car screen and have the ability to control apps touching the car screen rather than the phone (in Australia it is illegal to hold, type, answering calls, etc directly on the phone while driving. Control via voice or stereo are fine)
I would prefer that simpler solution rather than having to install another GPS antenna and another microphone.

Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-12-19, 06:08 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RSkoljarev
Hi,

I am quite new into the VLine option.

My car is a 2012 IS350 with Factory Navigation and standard sound system (non ML) Australian delivered; therefore RHD.
I have been reading online and watching videos; but I could not find the answers to my questions.
Most of the demos have been done with early 2nd Gen IS head units.

1 – Without VLine my “Audio” button takes me to a screen menu where I have AM, FM, CD, AUX, USB.
AM gives me access to memorise 6 radios and jump from one directly to another, FM gives me 2 sets of 6 memories, CD allows me to select which CD, etc. for each set I can customise individually front-rear, left-right, bass, mid, and treble settings.
Q1: Will I be losing the ability to memorise radios and customise the sound settings for AM, FM, CD once VLine gets installed and therefore the “Audio” button gets reassigned to enter VLine?

2- I have seen a recent post from a user affirming that 2010-2012 Lexus IS cars have that reverse camera inconvenience.
Q2: Is there any way I can confirm beforehand if my car being a 2012 will suffer that?

3- I have seen a video where pressing DEST button (to enter an address to the factory GPS) makes the screen flicker blending factory with VLine screens. That video was based on one of the later stereo units like mine (with flat physical buttons)
Q3: Is this an old bug on VLine? Or is this still happening? Do we know what IS cars are affected?

Q4: Is the same level of R&D and testing done on the later head units as on the early ones for the 2nd Gen Lexus IS platform?

Q5: Will VLine Lite for Lexus IS get Android Auto? Do we know when?

All I really want is to mirror my phone on the car screen and have the ability to control apps touching the car screen rather than the phone (in Australia it is illegal to hold, type, answering calls, etc directly on the phone while driving. Control via voice or stereo are fine)
I would prefer that simpler solution rather than having to install another GPS antenna and another microphone.

Please let me know. Thanks!
Q1: All stereo functions will be working the same way
Q2: We see some cars affected, mostly fully loaded
Q3: We have not seen anything like this lately
Q4: The platform is the same. No difference in stability
Q5: We have some preliminary version working. Will post more when we have it ready for end users.
Old 08-14-19, 08:05 AM
tor1981
Driver School Candidate

Well here goes, just placed my order for the VL2 and hope it will work out "OK"
I come from having two previous units from vais tech for my Lexus ISF 2009. I can understand they gave up in the end.

Not sure what to expect, but we will see - and I will update the thread as it arrives and is installed.
Old 08-14-19, 11:57 PM
RSkoljarev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tor1981
Well here goes, just placed my order for the VL2 and hope it will work out "OK"
I come from having two previous units from vais tech for my Lexus ISF 2009. I can understand they gave up in the end.

Not sure what to expect, but we will see - and I will update the thread as it arrives and is installed.
Please keep us updated about your experience with the kit; I am interested too.
Did it take long to arrive? Did it arrive with the latest firmware? Any issues getting it up and running? Is it nice and easy using it on a daily basis? Etc.

I used to have a car with a Kenwood DDX7016BT with an MHL cable in the glove box where to plug the phone.
It mirrored the phone on the screen with touch control, maps, tune-in, etc. it all just worked from the phone.
I would like similar functionality without changing the look of the car.

Last edited by RSkoljarev; 08-15-19 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 08-15-19, 04:54 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RSkoljarev
Please keep us updated about your experience with the kit; I am interested too.
Did it take long to arrive? Did it arrive with the latest firmware? Any issues getting it up and running? Is it nice and easy using it on a daily basis? Etc.

I used to have a car with a Kenwood DDX7016BT with an MHL cable in the glove box where to plug the phone.
It mirrored the phone on the screen with touch control, maps, tune-in, etc. it all just worked from the phone.
I would like similar functionality without changing the look of the car.
When i ordered mine it took approx 1 week, via US Fedex to arrive in Sydney.
Old 08-15-19, 08:18 AM
Peterblax
Driver School Candidate

So my Grom Vlite (Lex5) for my IS250 arrived today. Followed the instructions, plugged everything in... And all worked great!

EXCEPT... No sound at all!

I've tired everything - settings, cables, you name it!

So the one weird thing was that in the back of the head unit, the audio power port that they tell you to plug into was already empty, so I have nothing to put into the female end of the split cable. So my stock headunit would cycle between CD changer and AUX... And now it's a cycle of DVD changer (which Is the Vline), CD changer and Aux. Both the CD and Aux work fine still.

Anyone got any ideas? Maybe a fault with the actual Vline unit? Maybe a fault with my headunit?
Old 08-16-19, 05:47 PM
RSkoljarev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Peterblax
EXCEPT... No sound at all!

I've tired everything - settings, cables, you name it!
Have you found a solution? What was it?
The last thing I want is to pay 60 USD to get it shipped here and then receive a faulty unit...
Let us know please
Old 08-20-19, 01:12 PM
chucktaylu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We plan on having it ready in 2 weeks. Will send the newsletter once ready.
Will this ever be released?
Old 08-20-19, 07:51 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

The first rule of Grom is don't ask for release timelines and don't believe any given. They have consistently demonstrated the inability to meet their own stated timelines/deadlines. The good news is it will likely come eventually (though still not guaranteed) but who knows when. Good luck bud.
Old 08-21-19, 09:50 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WillAP1
The first rule of Grom is don't ask for release timelines and don't believe any given. They have consistently demonstrated the inability to meet their own stated timelines/deadlines. The good news is it will likely come eventually (though still not guaranteed) but who knows when. Good luck bud.
and they might charge you for it!
Old 08-21-19, 11:08 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

We did not advance too much as there is very little interest in our existing VL1 customer base in Android Auto. If you need a solution send a request to our support and our techs will work with you individually.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?