IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-19, 12:56 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by baviaannl
@gromaudio You mentioned pages back that you would look into the extortionate shipping costs to non US addresses for the VL2 Android 8.1 upgrade. £16.99 is beyond a joke, how can you justify that cost?
It is US $16.99, not Euro or Pound. It is now much it costs to get the traceable service mail from USA to European countries. However we also offer partial refund of non-US shipping cost. if you already placed the order for the MicroSD card, please contact our shipping department for the adjustment.

Last edited by gromaudio; 12-03-19 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-05-19, 09:26 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
It is US $16.99, not Euro or Pound. It is now much it costs to get the traceable service mail from USA to European countries. However we also offer partial refund of non-US shipping cost. if you already placed the order for the MicroSD card, please contact our shipping department for the adjustment.
Why is it, again, that you're charging people for an update that they paid for when they bought the unit? Or could you point me to any of your advertisements for the unit that say the upgrade isn't a "free OTA update"?
Old 12-05-19, 11:43 AM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2 things I noticed.

1. Don't have bluetooth audio/phone setup through the factory radio. If you do, the Carplay will not play music as it wants to play the music via Bluetooth.
2. When shifting into reverse, I occasionally will have my Vline lock up (bunch of white/black lines). Seems odd, it would cause this but was informed it can occur.

It's in a 2012 ISF.
Old 12-08-19, 09:50 PM
neomacz
Rookie

I just bought and installed VLine 2 to my 2009 IS350, and downloaded the latest firmware. Everytime I switch to factory navigation the signal gets mixed and caused scrambling screen. Anybody has this issue?
Old 12-14-19, 04:24 AM
LS100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what I do not understand is, that gromaudio does not respond immediately to the issues in the GROM threads - like this one
last answer was 10 days ago !!!

in my opinion the minimum customer service would be to check daily the GROM threads and support the GROM customers !!!
these are the people that bring theyr money to GROM ...............

Last edited by LS100; 12-14-19 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-14-19, 05:31 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LS100
what I do not understand is, that gromaudio does not respond immediately to the issues in the GROM threads - like this one

in my opinion the minimum customer service would be to check daily the GROM threads and support the GROM customers !!!
Yeah not sure how active GROM are on these pages, or if they actively monitor it. Ive had my Vline V2 for about 1.5 yrs now. Overall im very happy with mine with very little issues. The few times i had issues i emailed their customer service direct (not via a forum) and always got a response with 24hrs with advice, emailed software updates etc
Old 12-14-19, 07:44 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LS100

This isn't an official Grom support thread. Not sure how that isn't clear with the thread title.

If you need Grom support use their support through their website. They are much more responsive on there.
The following users liked this post:
jguy46514 (12-16-19)
Old 01-12-20, 01:28 AM
imVUUU
Driver School Candidate

Default My issues

I highly regret getting the grom vline2.

Several issues in my case. It takes forever for the system to connect to my hotspot. I would have to go to the hotspot setting on my phone EVERY TIME I want to connect the vline2, and even then it takes a long time to connect. Side note, when I get out of the car and into my house, my phone won’t connect to my WiFi until I turn off the hotspot. Anyone know how I can fix this?

The volume on the vline2 system is low compared to the factory system. I’d have to turn up the volume higher to hear at the same level. It is even worse when connected to Apple CarPlay. I’d have to pretty much double the volume to hear at the same level. The worst of it is on a phone call when on Apple CarPlay. The volume is so low that even when I have it on max, I could barely hear the other person. To make matters worse, the other person can’t hear me because of all the noise and static from the mic of the vline. The factory mic was soooo much better.

The preinstalled Spotify app is terrible. If I play a playlist, it would only play the same song on repeat unless I manually change the song. When I download the regular Spotify app, I can’t scroll down on any playlist.

Here is the WORST problem. Every time I open my vents to let outside air in, it makes this really loud repeated clicking or ratchet noise for about 30-45 seconds and then stop. If I close the vents and let air circulate inside the car only, then the noise stops or never has the noise. This is only a temporary fix. I had it installed in SoCal and moved to NorCal, so very difficult to bring it back to the shop to have them take a look. This brings me to my next issue. Grom has the slowest and worst customer service. I’ve contacted them several times, sent them videos of the issue, opened a ticket on their website about the issue, and they still won’t reply to me or give me the time of day.

What was the point of installing this system? Waste of money. I am envious of those who have minimal issues.
Old 01-12-20, 08:26 AM
Net Junky
Intermediate

I have the same issues but i have learned to deal with it. Worst for me is the fact that putting the car in reverse would reset the entire system sometimes. That is something that they said they cant fix.

I stream podcasts most of the time so the volume doesn't bother me. The phone call does have issues and I was thinking of disabling the phone call function and have it collect via bluetooth to my phone for calls instead. I haven't tested yet but will this coming week. It's not perfect but for older cars, it's sort of the only solution at this time.
Old 01-12-20, 11:33 AM
CSpecISF
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was strongly considering this for my IS-F, but I'm glad I found this thread first. It looks so promising and I assumed there would be small issues, but some of these reviews are definitely scaring me out of it. Maybe I'll wait until more bugs are sorted. Is Grom still developing this system as time goes on or have they slowed down with updates/improvements?
Old 01-12-20, 11:58 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by imVUUU

Several issues in my case. It takes forever for the system to connect to my hotspot. I would have to go to the hotspot setting on my phone EVERY TIME I want to connect the vline2, and even then it takes a long time to connect. Side note, when I get out of the car and into my house, my phone won’t connect to my WiFi until I turn off the hotspot. Anyone know how I can fix this?

The volume on the vline2 system is low compared to the factory system. I’d have to turn up the volume higher to hear at the same level. It is even worse when connected to Apple CarPlay. I’d have to pretty much double the volume to hear at the same level. The worst of it is on a phone call when on Apple CarPlay. The volume is so low that even when I have it on max, I could barely hear the other person. To make matters worse, the other person can’t hear me because of all the noise and static from the mic of the vline. The factory mic was soooo much better.

The preinstalled Spotify app is terrible. If I play a playlist, it would only play the same song on repeat unless I manually change the song. When I download the regular Spotify app, I can’t scroll down on any playlist.

Here is the WORST problem. Every time I open my vents to let outside air in, it makes this really loud repeated clicking or ratchet noise for about 30-45 seconds and then stop. If I close the vents and let air circulate inside the car only, then the noise stops or never has the noise. This is only a temporary fix. I had it installed in SoCal and moved to NorCal, so very difficult to bring it back to the shop to have them take a look. This brings me to my next issue. Grom has the slowest and worst customer service. I’ve contacted them several times, sent them videos of the issue, opened a ticket on their website about the issue, and they still won’t reply to me or give me the time of day.

What was the point of installing this system? Waste of money. I am envious of those who have minimal issues.
Let me know when you're ready to sell. I'll be happy to take it off you for heavy discount.

With that said, while some of your complaints are valid and the fault of the vline, some of them are most definitely not.

Firstly, the "problem" with your phone hotspot is just that... your *phone's problem*. This is just how phone hotspots work on literally every phone out there so this has no validity in blaming the vline. If it's really too much of an inconvenience for you to spend 10 seconds hitting a few buttons on your phone then pony up for an extra standalone hotspot with it's own data line through your phone carrier and leave it in your car. Problem solved. As a cheaper alternative I hear there may be third party phone apps out there that can auto-enable/disable your hotspot based on bluetooth devices or other things but I'm not experienced with those... but I think people mention them in this thread so you may want to do some research on that.

Secondly, your clicking issue with the air vents sounds like an install problem. Again, NOT the fault of the vline and totally irrelevant since this is likely caused by installing the wiring or box in such a way that conflicts with the ac system and causes that noise. Grom probably isn't responding to this issue because its really not their problem and nothing they can do without laying hands on it themselves. So either get your hands/eyes in there and see what is going on or take it to a shop that can do so (preferably the one who initially installed it).

It's very evident from my prior posts in this thread that I am a strong critic of Grom and their product, and it sounds like some of your complaints (like the volume stuff) are valid but as I described above, some of them also aren't, so you should really figure those out on your own and stop blaming Grom and the vline for those things.
Old 01-13-20, 02:59 AM
Antolope
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some suggestions to help.

Several issues in my case. It takes forever for the system to connect to my hotspot.

The volume on the vline2 system is low compared to the factory system.

The preinstalled Spotify app is terrible.

This brings me to my next issue. Grom has the slowest and worst customer service.

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with the thing. If you read through this thread you’ll see that many other folks have had issues with it, including myself. However, even with the occasional frustrating issue for me, I love this unit over the factory stuff in my 08’ RX.

Anyway, what prompted me to log in and respond to this is that I have had some of the same issues but they have easy fixes. First the iPhone hotspot was an inconvenience so I purchased a T-Mobile SyncUp device that connects to the OBDII port for instant hotspot. As a side note, not sure about your carrier but T-Mobile restricts my hotspot speed on the iPhone. I get it for free but it’s a slower connection. So purchasing the separate hotspot device gets me instant connection of the vline plus 4G speeds.

Second, the sound volume. I had an identical issue. For me, it turned out to be the “media” sound level on the vline. Yes, there is a sound level on the vline that sometimes would adjust itself down for some reason. If you go to settings and type “sound” you will find it. On occasion, I would have to find that setting and then put it back to max. That would solve my issue and make it sound nice again. Haven’t had this issue in a couple months at least. I think it had something to do with the Bluetooth connection on my phone. On the vline I’m running android 8 or whatever it is (not an android person) and have updated to the latest firmware/software. Look for the sound option in settings, this may be causing your problem.

I can’t say much for the Spotify app because I don’t use it. Can tell you that I have downloaded other music apps to it, some work great, others don’t. I stick to the ones that work great.

Also I will tell you that the times that I have contacted Grom, they have not been the quickest, but they have responded within a day or so. Can’t tell you why they haven’t responded to you. They should at least acknowledge your issues.

Hope the sound thing works out for you because I remember how frustrating it was for me to have to turn the volume super loud to hear it and then accidentally blast my ears into oblivion cause I switched over to radio.
Old 01-13-20, 09:30 AM
imVUUU
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Antolope
Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with the thing. If you read through this thread you’ll see that many other folks have had issues with it, including myself. However, even with the occasional frustrating issue for me, I love this unit over the factory stuff in my 08’ RX.

Anyway, what prompted me to log in and respond to this is that I have had some of the same issues but they have easy fixes. First the iPhone hotspot was an inconvenience so I purchased a T-Mobile SyncUp device that connects to the OBDII port for instant hotspot. As a side note, not sure about your carrier but T-Mobile restricts my hotspot speed on the iPhone. I get it for free but it’s a slower connection. So purchasing the separate hotspot device gets me instant connection of the vline plus 4G speeds.

Second, the sound volume. I had an identical issue. For me, it turned out to be the “media” sound level on the vline. Yes, there is a sound level on the vline that sometimes would adjust itself down for some reason. If you go to settings and type “sound” you will find it. On occasion, I would have to find that setting and then put it back to max. That would solve my issue and make it sound nice again. Haven’t had this issue in a couple months at least. I think it had something to do with the Bluetooth connection on my phone. On the vline I’m running android 8 or whatever it is (not an android person) and have updated to the latest firmware/software. Look for the sound option in settings, this may be causing your problem.

I can’t say much for the Spotify app because I don’t use it. Can tell you that I have downloaded other music apps to it, some work great, others don’t. I stick to the ones that work great.

Also I will tell you that the times that I have contacted Grom, they have not been the quickest, but they have responded within a day or so. Can’t tell you why they haven’t responded to you. They should at least acknowledge your issues.

Hope the sound thing works out for you because I remember how frustrating it was for me to have to turn the volume super loud to hear it and then accidentally blast my ears into oblivion cause I switched over to radio.
thank you so much. Maybe I’ll try the syncup. As for the volume, I had already tried to turn it to max and it’s still not as loud as stock volume. I certainly don’t know how to fix the Apple CarPlay volume.
Old 01-13-20, 10:49 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

thank you so much. Maybe I’ll try the syncup. As for the volume, I had already tried to turn it to max and it’s still not as loud as stock volume. I certainly don’t know how to fix the Apple CarPlay volume.
Sorry about the difficulties that you experiencing. Please PM us with your ticket number, we will check it out to make sure the communication goes through.
Thank you!
Old 01-13-20, 11:21 AM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many old phones are not able to provide hotspot and connect to WiFi at the same time. MIght be time to get a new cell phone. Google Pixel 3 and 4 are both able to provide hotspot regardless whether they are connected to WiFi and LTE.

As for volume, how does volume compare when using native Vline apps? If it's limited to Carplay, then again it might point to your phone and perhaps time to upgrade to something modern and less buggy.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?